FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Blog Entries

Deadlands module maps

I am huge fan of this ruleset and the setting of Deadlands and Hell on Earth. But I am also a recent fan. Before buying the FG mdoules, I decided to find the pdf files of the modules to see what they're like before I buy them. I love the Deadlands map of the United States. But I must say...I'm a little underwhelmed with the module maps. They're a little too simple and sparse and in some modules, there's no maps at all. That's the only place where I see Pinnacle fall a little short. Also, a few more Hell on Earth modules would be nice.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Classic Lime (Deadlands: The Wasted West) had a lot of modules, you may want to get your hands on them and just convert them into a module. It's time consuming plus you'll need the conversion directions for Classic --> SWADE but the modules are great.
    Everybody lies...
    -Dr. Gregory House, HOUSE MD-

Urge to destroy world, rising...
    -Black Mage, 8-Bit Theater-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Czarisyn View Post
    Classic Lime (Deadlands: The Wasted West) had a lot of modules, you may want to get your hands on them and just convert them into a module. It's time consuming plus you'll need the conversion directions for Classic --> SWADE but the modules are great.
    Thanks, Czarisyn. I will check that out for the Hell on Earth modules. I don't really convert. I'll use the pdf file for the text and just lift the maps out and put them into FG. Unfortunately, the Deadlands maps are a little simple and sparse for my taste.
    Last edited by Niles; July 22nd, 2020 at 17:03.

Ah, yea I remember there weren't many maps to begin with, and what was there were too small to place on the table. So you may have to make your own based on the modules you are wanting to run.
    Everybody lies...
    -Dr. Gregory House, HOUSE MD-

Urge to destroy world, rising...
    -Black Mage, 8-Bit Theater-

I'm certain I'll find myself in the same boat. I'm still plodding through the original Rippers setting, and will be running Deadlands after that. I'll be making maps for everything I can't find suitable ready-made maps for and will post them here, but I'm thinking that won't be for a while.

Even the newer poster maps that are being sold look like they're made in just a few hours with Campaign Cartographer... not that it's a bad thing. Point is that with a little bit of effort to learn you can crank out straightforward simple maps especially if you already have a base map to work from -- definitely something better than what gets included in PEG plot points.

Dungeondraft is $20 and it's a lot easier to pick up and run with. I think I spent about an hour making the Rosslyn Chapel map for Rippers with that and some of that was trying to figure out how to use the software. I recently posted that map in this forum.

Forgotten Adventures have some really good map-making assets if you want to use Clip Studio Paint Pro. Forgotten Adventures has a bunch of free assets. I made the Hellfrost Lair of the Vermin Lord maps with those tools and I posted in another recent forum thread.

To use Campaign Cartographer you literally have to read the manuals to get anything approaching even what's in the PEG poster maps, and most people don't / won't. You're well served by doing so, and all your maps with any software will improve because so many techniques carry over, but it definitely isn't something you can "just fiddle with and learn". It's also a big $$ investment in addition to the time investment.

Blog Entries
    I hear you fubeca150. I don't really have time to make maps for the modules, I just wish the ones that were included in the modules were a bit more detailed. They're sad, actually. Some modules don't even have a map! I need to just lift them out of the pdf and drop them into FG. All the text I can just read to the players from my second monitor. C'mon Pinnacle, you can do better!

The low number of maps aligns with PEGs adventure development approach - they give you enough to get your own creative juices going but its not prescribed. Basically, pull open a late D&D 3.5 module or a 4e module (with their detailed encounter map, tactics, etcs) - PEG went the opposite route.

The advantages is that is allows the GM (and SW GMs tend to be long-time GMs) pull out their fun stuff and run with it instead of having to force it with a detail map and a detailes tactical writeup in an adventure. For example, I love Paizo flip maps until I actually use them at the table. Too many times I say "ignore this, this, and this" because there is too much detail. Compare that with PEG flipmaps (which appear sparse in comparison) you can use and add a few things here and there (say some trees) and it changes the look. Its easier to add than to remove in this case.

But it certain does make a bit of extra effort for FG and at the table if you do not have a stockpile of toys.

Was digging through old threads and found this one. I have recently started running Deadlands Reloaded one shots and have started making maps with Dungeondraft and the Forgotten Adventures asset pack for Dungeondraft. If you export the maps using the Universal VTT format and download the script a community member posted to reddit then your maps will have the walls block light and the doors and windows allow light through when you click to 'open' them in FGU. Put the XML file in your <campaign>/images folder and load up FGU. Then click the images button and then the Import File button. Browse to the folder you downloaded the map into and make sure you select PNG or All Files from the drop down. Once you've found the file, click on it and hit SELECT and you've got a LoS ready map! Set the grid to 70px for the example map. You'll need to turn on LoS and maybe dim the alpha channel in the image tool menu.

Small Saloon.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by YggBjorn; September 13th, 2020 at 05:56. Reason: Added example map

Thread Information