5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinBuckler View Post
    Does it have to be linked with the game itself? Could it be an external bit of software?

I have a discord server ( https://discord.com ) and have created a category for each game with a set of channels dedicated to my requirements.
    We have a Discord server. We tend to find Discord's voice chat more stable than Roll20's, and we share looots of memes on the server.

Sooooo much to learn! It feels like there is a lot more to Fantasy Grounds than there is to Roll20. I'm not complaining, just figuring out where to start, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f1gment View Post
    Sooooo much to learn! It feels like there is a lot more to Fantasy Grounds than there is to Roll20. I'm not complaining, just figuring out where to start, lol.
    Start with the basics
    Character sheets, maps, NPCs and the combat tracker. Then start using targeting, and after that stories and links, effects, encounters, parcels, quests, the party sheet and campaign options. Later on, custom data as needed (items, classes, spells, npcs etc). And then extensions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Start with the basics
    Character sheets, maps, NPCs and the combat tracker. Then start using targeting, and after that stories and links, effects, encounters, parcels, quests, the party sheet and campaign options. Later on, custom data as needed (items, classes, spells, npcs etc). And then extensions.
    This is a very sensible suggestion.

Sensible is not my strong point.

But seriously, it is, and I have talked myself down from wanting to do everything right now, and am just playing with the NPCs and monsters at the moment. The rest will come.

I am still learning this is a really deep rabbit hole of fun stuff. IMO Take the Character 101 class from FantasyGroundsCollege.net. Then take DM 101 then DM 102. Once you have done that you should have a good idea of what Fantasy Grounds is all about. Plus you will have no money invested. If you like it then you kind of have 3 paths.

1 Start watching all of the great teaching content on youtube.

or

2 Join an online game like what FantasyGroundsCollege.net is running this coming weekend. I know you can not get a DM 101 and 101 before this weekend but if you think this is for you this might not be a bad idea to get into a game.

or

3 Try running a game with the free download. You will not be able to get your friends to connect but you can see how combat works and how Combat tracker and most things work.
    you will need this
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...th-Screenshots

The new 5E Character Wizard is in classic now so make sure you update to get it. It could make creating your characters easier.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...er-Wizard-Beta

The down side to flipping to Fantasy Grounds is you will need to invest in buying the books and stuff you want inside of Fantasy Grounds. There is tons of stuff. Where https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/ has lots of good stuff it does not have the addons. Some are free and you can find them on these forums. Others are sold on https://www.dmsguild.com/ which seem to have the largest selection. You can also find other online stores that have mods and I do not think there is a central place that list all of the sites out there that have stuff.

I hope this helps and does not over whelm you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f1gment View Post
    This is a very sensible suggestion.

Sensible is not my strong point.

But seriously, it is, and I have talked myself down from wanting to do everything right now, and am just playing with the NPCs and monsters at the moment. The rest will come.
    lol It's good to recognize our own personality traits

I know for myself, if I build that strong base at the start by going slow, I can start running and sprinting down the road. And getting 'there' in the end is quicker than if I tried running from the start

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Because I'm sure you're all interested, there has been much progress. I've added NPCs and monsters, maps, encounters, and handouts. I've created a magic item, and explored the Fantasy Grounds College site.

There's discussion of grabbing a one-month subscription and testing out the combat and stability of the connection. There's a definite learning curve here, but there's a *lot* that I like.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it! Enjoy and let us know how we can help.

Thread Information