DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Starfinder Character Creation Broken - FGU unusable

I am on day two of trying to create a simple character, including deleting and reinstalling FGU several times. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is frustrating to say the least.

I watched the official Starfinder character creation video, and tried to follow along. My issue is the following:

1. Install modules (I own the core rules, etc).
    2. Go to PC and create a new item (a new character).
    3. I drag in the race, Vesk and choose the sub-race.
    4. I drag in the theme (doesn't matter - lets go with Ace Pilot)
    5. Pop-up appears for me to add ability points. Yay. I do that.
    6. I drag in the class - Soldier and a pop appears to select key ability. I select Strength.
    7. That's it.

There is NEVER any additional popup for me to choose class features. This is also an issue with the Mystic where you'd need to choose a Connection.

So lets stay with Soldier and see if we can do it manually.

8. I go to the Abilities tab and there is a "Primary Fighting Style" listed. Cool!
    9. I open it up and go to the Other tab and open up Blitz. This is what I want to add. Nothing there to do.
    10. Instead I drag Blitz into Class Ability, OR feats (I am desperate at this point). I can now open it up and see the 1st level ability - Rapid Response. This gives a +4 bonus to initiative checks and a +10 feet movement bonus.
    11. I check the main page and initiative nor movement is updated.
    12. Again, desperate and trying anything - I drag Rapid Response into Class Abilities, and also into Feats - trying to get something to work. Nothing updates.
    13. I go to the main tab and click the magnifying class - here I can manually add the values.

Is that correct? I NEVER see the "select feature" pop-up that they show in the video.

Again - I have deleted content, reinstalled the software - I have spent two days on this. PLEASE.........

If you can't get characters set up, then you can't play the game. That makes the $100 I just dropped on books for FGU a complete waste of money.

PS: I am using this on a Mac and have no theme extensions installed.

Anyone else running into this?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Blog Entries
    MOD: Moved to Starfinder forum, I think you will get more informed answers there and I don't think this sounds like an FGU issue.

Other than this sub-forum, you might try the FG or FG College Discord servers for more interactive help.
    https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt
    https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have not played Starfinder (unfortunately!) but this matches my experience with 5E and I think is just a misunderstanding of the level of automation available. In D&D 5E, many class features are not hard coded, meaning they don't automatically apply effects or permanent modifications to the character sheet. In 5E the character creation process DOES automatically put them onto your character sheet, if there is a clearly defined set that are always applied at character creation, but this may be different for Starfinder. Perhaps there is a reason I'm unaware for that, or perhaps it's simply an opportunity for a more fully automated rulset down the line.

Anyway, as a rule, in my experience, class features are not automatically applied. You have to go into the initiative and movement speed section and apply the bonus. This is not unplayable - it is merely not 100% automated. As for the technical reason why that is the case, I am not sure. I bet if you look in the Starfinder section of the forums there will be many resources for you to help mitigate this. I know that despite these things not being 100% automated in 5E, people have created the effects necessary to achieve the same purpose and they are readily available. The same might be true for Starfinder.

Edit: See this thread, I believe it will solve many of your issues: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Effects-Lists
    Last edited by Neovirtus; July 20th, 2020 at 21:10.

Quote Originally Posted by tanarious View Post
    I am on day two of trying to create a simple character, including deleting and reinstalling FGU several times. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is frustrating to say the least.

I watched the official Starfinder character creation video, and tried to follow along. My issue is the following:

1. Install modules (I own the core rules, etc).
    2. Go to PC and create a new item (a new character).
    3. I drag in the race, Vesk and choose the sub-race.
    4. I drag in the theme (doesn't matter - lets go with Ace Pilot)
    5. Pop-up appears for me to add ability points. Yay. I do that.
    6. I drag in the class - Soldier and a pop appears to select key ability. I select Strength.
    7. That's it.

There is NEVER any additional popup for me to choose class features. This is also an issue with the Mystic where you'd need to choose a Connection.

So lets stay with Soldier and see if we can do it manually.

8. I go to the Abilities tab and there is a "Primary Fighting Style" listed. Cool!
    9. I open it up and go to the Other tab and open up Blitz. This is what I want to add. Nothing there to do.
    10. Instead I drag Blitz into Class Ability, OR feats (I am desperate at this point). I can now open it up and see the 1st level ability - Rapid Response. This gives a +4 bonus to initiative checks and a +10 feet movement bonus.
    11. I check the main page and initiative nor movement is updated.
    12. Again, desperate and trying anything - I drag Rapid Response into Class Abilities, and also into Feats - trying to get something to work. Nothing updates.
    13. I go to the main tab and click the magnifying class - here I can manually add the values.

Is that correct? I NEVER see the "select feature" pop-up that they show in the video.

Again - I have deleted content, reinstalled the software - I have spent two days on this. PLEASE.........

If you can't get characters set up, then you can't play the game. That makes the $100 I just dropped on books for FGU a complete waste of money.

PS: I am using this on a Mac and have no theme extensions installed.

Anyone else running into this?

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Hi Aaron, and welcome to the forums. You are struggling with character creation and I get it. When Character Operations Manual (COM) came out it required a lot of changes to the ruleset to accommodate, and unfortunately some of those accommodations required the removal of some of the automation that was there prior to COM. Enriching the character creation process is fairly high on the TODO list, but, unfortunately isn't the top priority. The biggest task right now is to bug-fixes and enabling new content to be released (e.g. Near Space and Ship Operations Manual are the next big releases) to the community.

In the meantime, please check out some of the wonderful classes on Starfinder that Fantasy Grounds College provides for free and connect to the Fantasy Grounds and Fantasy Ground College discord servers to reach out real-time to your fellow Starfinders.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Thanks everyone for the quick reply.

I guess I am reacting to this part in the official FG video:
    https://youtu.be/NPmqLr1eMfo?t=641

When the speaker selected the class and then the "select feature" box appears. That, specifically, is what is NOT happening for me.

I then asked in the comments if FGU was different than classic and was told they function the same. So that is why I am expecting the box to appear and banging my head trying to figure out why it isn't.

So I guess I am still confused if this is a bug, if I am doing something wrong, or if this video is just not accurate. If so, perhaps they should update the video to prevent future confusion like mine. This has been painful.

Thanks so much!!!
    Aaron

Video is outdated...it was pre-COM.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

As far as the Imitative and Movement Speed, these have never been automated in SFRPG. You just go to the editor for that section and add the modifier.
    The main reason allot of that kind of automation has not been incorporated like you see in %E and PFRPG is the way the books were written, the wording is way different and they fix will be very time consuming to get the system to catch everything. And this changes from book to book which makes it even harder.
    This was a decision to make allot manual update as it would be hard to let the player know what abilities auto update and which would be manual.
    So for now most have been left manual until such time the lookup code for these can be gone thru and updated to match the wording for SFRPG.
    Discord User : Samarex#0318
    Ultimate License
    Starfinder Society ID#:274538
    Lets Play a RPG

Thread Information