5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Rules Lawyers

I tend to either:

>Speak with the players directly and say that they're making it difficult for you to enjoy DMing
    >Ask for someone else to run a one-off session to 1) Give you a break and 2) Let them feel the pressure of the DM role
    >At the start of a session say something along the lines of "If you have an issue with/question about the rules that's okay but let us talk it out after the session so that we don't waste so much time"

First tends to work a lot, second I've only done once but worked well, third I've had to do for a group I knew had a few rules lawyers and idk if it was because I said that or just a good few sessions but I didn't have a problem
    -Ciaran

Infomancer_Ciaran, Savage Mojo
    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

Kickstarter coming October 4th 2020!
    Join our mailing list and get a FREE
    Shane Hensley adventure

Probably not the asnwer you're looking for, but...

Know the rules. By the 146th time you get the rules right they'll stop arguing. I haven't dealt with rules lawyers for a while... Players tend to cling to rules because it's their minimal protection from your arbitrary power over their characters. You need to give them at least the RAW and anything beyond that will be seen as generosity.

You'll eventually fail, there's no shame in that... But if my GM is right 90%+ of the time, why the hell would I argue? Dude knows his ****.

If even then this behavior continues, it's not about the rules, they just want to show off. In this case, you have every right to tell them to **** off IMO.
    "You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... And yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." - Dwalin Fundinson

Ultimate License holder, translation enthusiast and programmer in the making!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJena View Post
    But if my GM is right 90%+ of the time, why the hell would I argue? Dude knows his ****.
    That's what was happening. Glad I ended the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by malvok View Post
    That's what was happening. Glad I ended the campaign.
    In that case, I'm glad you did. Cheers!

"Make cool games, take no sh*t."
    "You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... And yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." - Dwalin Fundinson

Ultimate License holder, translation enthusiast and programmer in the making!

Shame you had to end the campaign.

I don't mind a bit of rule lawyering (sometimes I'll ask for it if I'm playing a new system) but what you had to deal with sounds like toxic attitudes. Hopefully you can start a new campaign up minus that toxic element.

I usually have a session zero/pre-game meeting before starting a new game, and rules lawyering is one of the (many) topics I like to discuss.

Having said that, sometimes not even the best prep can prevent arguments at the table, so one ironclad guideline I have is that any extensive discussion of disagreements over rules are quickly nipped in the bud and saved for AFTER the session. Our gaming time is limited to once a week and haggling over rules adjudication can cut into that.
    Professional hobbit and legendary-eater-of-meals.

Thread Information