Starfinder Playlist

Questions about reducing data size without breaking current shares/links

Login for my players was getting too slow, so I’m doing some cleaning up. I used far too large files for some maps and tokens.
    • Am I right that if I reduce the images in file size, but keep the same name, resolution and dpi everything should continue as before?
    • And that if I change the folder structure without renaming the files itself things will break?
    • If I move some tokens from shared to a mod (saw the video for that), will things break? I read about a fallback system on filename for FG content somewhere, does that function for tokens too?

Blog Entries
    Depends what you mean about image file size. If you do not change pixel size, and simple reduce JPG quality you will be fine, sort of. I'm not sure if FG will recognize the change and file and resend it. You might have to unshare, re-share, possible with players exiting in between, or even having players clear their cache.

What folder structure? In general FG does not support sub-folder structure in inside the main campaign data folders, so please clarify what you mean.

Assuming FGC? Moving tokens should not break anything. You may have to open the token modules to have access to them, but I think FG searches inside token modules for referenced tokens.

As always, best to make a full backup before you start.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If the players are logging in from the same computer as before, and they haven't cleared their local cache (under normal operation they shouldn't), then only new data is shared with the players. Things that were shared before will be in the local player cache.

Are you using FGU or FGC?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My tablet was taken from me yesterday. Bedtime . I’ll continue my answers now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Depends what you mean about image file size. If you do not change pixel size, and simple reduce JPG quality you will be fine, sort of. I'm not sure if FG will recognize the change and file and resend it. You might have to unshare, re-share, possible with players exiting in between, or even having players clear their cache.

What folder structure? In general FG does not support sub-folder structure in inside the main campaign data folders, so please clarify what you mean.

Assuming FGC? Moving tokens should not break anything. You may have to open the token modules to have access to them, but I think FG searches inside token modules for referenced tokens.

As always, best to make a full backup before you start.
    • Indeed reducing the size by reducing the quality. If the image isn’t resend, it doesn’t take time. In the end it’s time, not space which is bothering them.
    • My images are in subfolders. I made some errors there.
    • Great. FGC indeed. I have some tokens in Shared, want to move them to a custom Token module.
    • Good tip, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If the players are logging in from the same computer as before, and they haven't cleared their local cache (under normal operation they shouldn't), then only new data is shared with the players. Things that were shared before will be in the local player cache.

Are you using FGU or FGC?
    Perfect. FGC. No need to resend. I want to reduce time, not space (I’m feeling very powerful ).
    Last edited by Milmoor; July 19th, 2020 at 07:37. Reason: The next day...

I did my spring summer cleaning. I got most, but not all. It's still slower than I would think is necessary. Is there a log or a list of the transfered data? The campaign.dat is 105 MB. I suspect it's the Spell Tokens, but how to be sure?

There’s no logs like that. But 105MB will be mostly images. So look at the file size of all of the images and tokens that are shared with the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You might want to try an internet speed test. Also is it all of your players are having slow startup time or just 1 or 2. Your upload speed would be the part that would be the slowest for your players. Unless you are on fiber your upload speed will be much lower than your download. So you might have 100 mb internet this helps you download stuff but your upload speed will be much lower like 5 mb up. A speed test can tell you how fast you are. If you have anything that is doing cloud backup you might want to make sure it is not running during you play sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    There’s no logs like that. But 105MB will be mostly images. So look at the file size of all of the images and tokens that are shared with the players.
    Will do. I assume an image will be automatically not shared when removed or renamed? There isn’t a server side cache?

Deleted my current player cache for testing purposes and the new one is at 40 MB. So cleaning up did help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    You might want to try an internet speed test. Also is it all of your players are having slow startup time or just 1 or 2. Your upload speed would be the part that would be the slowest for your players. Unless you are on fiber your upload speed will be much lower than your download. So you might have 100 mb internet this helps you download stuff but your upload speed will be much lower like 5 mb up. A speed test can tell you how fast you are. If you have anything that is doing cloud backup you might want to make sure it is not running during you play sessions.
    Good thought, but I’m at 50 Mbit uplink, slowest available at my provider. The Netherlands, fiber connection.
    Last edited by Milmoor; July 31st, 2020 at 15:59. Reason: Two quotes

Thread Information