5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Issue with D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Moderator: Moved to the 5e forum

Hello,

I am playing on the FGU not sure if FGC is having the same issue

I bought the D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and I tried to just load the reg book as a DM and the links for the Classes, Races, Background and such don't show up I have to Load the Players' Version of the book in order to see all that info as a DM. I was thinking of just making a new group and adding them all one by one again but then I was thinking well maybe I am not the only one with this issue. I did not go through the whole Forum to check to see if there is a post about it yet.

Is there a patch that I need to download in order to get the information in correctly?

I do not wish to have 2 of the same Mod's open if I can get it as one as intended.

Thank you
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; July 18th, 2020 at 14:38.

SCAG comes as two modules, one for Players and one for the DM. the DM doesn't need to have the players version open unless you are actually creating the characters yourself (or just reading about them). The players version is automatically shared with your players when they join your game and they can access it from their activation screen.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    SCAG comes as two modules, one for Players and one for the DM. the DM doesn't need to have the players version open unless you are actually creating the characters yourself (or just reading about them). The players version is automatically shared with your players when they join your game and they can access it from their activation screen.
    The issue I am having is that I have to so I can see the Backgrounds/Races/Classes(subclass) that the mod provides. I wouldn't have this issue if the DM book shows me that info. Just like in all the other books that I have the DM Version also has the Players stuff I can see the Classes(Subclass)/Races(Subrace)/Backgrounds and such. I don't have to have both of the lets say Xanathar's Guide to get all the Character items!
    Last edited by VolcanicImp; July 18th, 2020 at 18:27.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanicImp View Post
    The issue I am having is that I have to so I can see the Backgrounds/Races/Classes(subclass) that the mod provides. I wouldn't have this issue if the DM book shows me that info. Just like in all the other books that I have the DM Version also has the Players stuff I can see the Classes(Subclass)/Races(Subrace)/Backgrounds and such. I don't have to have both of the lets say Xanathar's Guide to get all the Character items!
    This is true, but the module developer in this instance separated the player and DM information completely. As I said above you only need to have the players module open if you are reading it. Otherwise it can remain closed. In the later books I did include the player information in the DM portion as well, although in most cases it was for reading only rather than character creation.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

This is true, but the module developer in this instance separated the player and DM information completely. As I said above you only need to have the players module open if you are reading it. Otherwise it can remain closed. In the later books I did include the player information in the DM portion as well, although in most cases it was for reading only rather than character creation.
    Ok thanks

Basically for modules like Sword Coast Adventurers Guide you need the player version open as a DM if you want to read their background, class variant, feat, item, subrace or spells from SCAG on the PC's character sheet. For a book like this as a DM I am likely to have the only the Player version open and the DM version closed when actually running a game. You are not going to want that Map module open unless you need it.

What is confusing is that some books are done differently from others where the DM's module does include all the player's info and some like this that doesn't. That's loosely based on when the book was originally released and converted into FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    What is confusing is that some books are done differently from others where the DM's module does include all the player's info and some like this that doesn't. That's loosely based on when the book was originally released and converted into FG.
    Good Day All
    This! If there was some indicator on the module that let the DM know which ones these are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day All
    This! If there was some indicator on the module that let the DM know which ones these are!!
    Basically nearly all of them includes the player facing material in the DMs module as well (Volo, Xanathar, Mordenkainen, Ravnica, Wildemount). The only module in which I didn't add in the player stuff in the DM module is Eberron Rising from the Last War.

As I said in another post somewhere; in retrospect SCAG got it right and the aforementioned modules should have followed that template really. Having the player stuff in the DM guide means that if a DM has the player module and the DM module open for all of those books you'll have a lot of races and classes with the same name in the list. So if it was only in the player module it would cut that down and also cut down the potential for a character to be started using the DM copy and then trying to level up using the player one or vice versa.

Having the player stuff in the DM guide means that if a DM has the player module and the DM module open for all of those books you'll have a lot of races and classes with the same name in the list. So if it was only in the player module it would cut that down and also cut down the potential for a character to be started using the DM copy and then trying to level up using the player one or vice versa.
    Good Day Zaccaeus
    I would think the exact opposite of this comment, if the DM version had the players info there would never be a reason for the DM to open the Players version as it would already have everything. And unless the DM is making Pre-generated characters for players At which point they can open the Players version only for that) I cannot see where levelling a PC would be an issue.

And all that being said, this is just my opinion and I really appreciate all that this community and the Mods do here everyday!

Blog Entries
    Except if the DM had open all the DM versions of the various expansions (like Mr Z suggests) then the DM would have multiple copies of many of the races and classes in their list.

The statement that then the DM wouldn't have to open the player versions is true. But in many cases, the DM never needs the player options. As a DM, the only time I look at player options are; when creating pre-gens, when creating special NPCs (use character creation rules), and when following a link off a character sheet (which usually links to a copy anyway). But, we all play differently.

Anyway, this is one of those cases of what's done is done. My understanding is that to change the setup/division of content now would cause untold numbers of characters and campaigns to break. So it might be nice for things moving forward, all the current stuff people have built would have problems.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information