DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Besides foot pedals and multi-button mice, there are also some other input devices like 3D motion controllers (Magellan, SpacePilot, etc) that besides the 3D motion, have tons of programmable buttons on them. Some even have displays to help program. But they are expensive. I don't know what they are called, but their are other types that have lots of programmable buttons too. Perhaps even something like an Elgato could be programmed. But again, expensive.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So my actual career is as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. I work with people who have disabilities and provide everything they need to get a job and succeed at it. While my specialty is blindness, I do have experience with people who can only use one hand (diabetes is the top cause of blindness and lots of amputations plus nerve damage). Here's a fast toolkit of links:

#1: https://askjan.org/index.cfm (this has every accommodation you can imagine organized by limitation/disability, as well as great success stories. To whit:
    https://askjan.org/publications/Disa...m?pubid=571006 download on support for one-hand use.
    https://askjan.org/disabilities/Hand-Amputation.cfm# scroll down to the bottom, you can see lists of links to accommodations by specific limitation resulting from only being able to use one hand.

#2: https://www.at3center.net/stateprogram this is the official directory of Assistive Technology State Grants. They usually have a lending library of accommodations and people with certifications in how to accommodate disability so the person can test out options and find the one that works. They also have a small budget to help purchase equipment if the individual cannot afford it on their own.

#3: specific to limited hand function and computers, you have basically four options: switches (using your foot, your one hand, a mouth tool, etc), one-handed keyboards, prosthetics, and exotics (LE gave good advice right before I posted, but also eye controls, voice controls, and even thought input via companies like emotiv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBlpodGjBLU). My recommendation is to start experimenting with a combination of foot and hand. A trackpad or trackball for the foot to replace the mouse and a 1-handed keyboard. However, there are some alternates. One secretary I worked with who has severe cerebral palsy turned me on to these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-.../dp/B001NEK2GE
    and Razer makes a great one too: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-k...r-tartarus-pro
    These are programmable so you can use them for all those annoying key combinations (cntrl-shift, alt-delete, alt-tab, cntrl-a/x/c/v, etc.) they are also about half the price of a one-handed keyboard.

Voice controls are also very advanced and pretty good. Dragon is the top of the pack here, https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html

And the recommendation to use a tablet to connect to FG is a good one, here is the thread on that: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Android-Tablet

Finally, do have the individual talk to their local VR agency, we're in every state, every province, and nearly every country. When I was getting my degree I had colleagues from Pakistan and Latvia. VR is available in the US during the pandemic. However, about 30 states do have waiting lists (called Order of Selection).

I was hesitating to whether to mention Dragon by Nuance and my Tartarus by Razer because I think they are likely second tier picks for FG. I have both but don't use either for FG.

GavenRuneblades great list of resources would help put them in perspective as one as a possibility.

Dragon is really good software but would be likely be awkward in a game that uses voice. Windows has had built in voice command / voice to text software since Win7 its not a good as Dragon, but I bet Ctrl Click, Alt Click, ect would work fine and could be something to try before investing in Dragon.

The Tartarus or something similar *might* be an option because of the mini-joystick. One comment on the Logitech G13 linked up there - they are out of production which is why that one cost so much. Search on Programmable Gameboards 2020 and get something in production, most of the G13's still around for sale are old stock or used. Those things originally retailed for $50-60ish.

For FG in a game with VOIP, I suspect the foot pedal and a gaming mouse with a lot of buttons may be superior but work through GavenRuneblades' amazing list of resources. I do have a Razer Naga Trinity mouse. I'm lukewarm on it, but its claim to fame is it has three replaceable side button panels of: 2 buttons, 7 buttons and 12 buttons so you can change the amount of side buttons from game to game. On mine the contacts are finicky and you might have to take the mouse panel on and off a few times and / or blow out the contacts with air. The mouse buttons are fully programmable so you can get them do do whatever. Razer stuff is not cheap though.
    Last edited by Griogre; July 17th, 2020 at 20:12.

I'm no expert on any of this but I do have experience with the Logitech G600 mouse. It has a ton of side buttons you can configure. You can have them execute a string of buttons, or spit out a block of text, or press keys (like alt/control/etc).

Your friend might be able to configure the side buttons with alt, control and shift (and combos of each). The side button section has 12 buttons so there "should" be enough. The mouse has 3 top buttons plus the middle. The ring finger (third button) can be used to toggle the side buttons to even more slots (like alt on keyboard for F keys).

It might take a bit of time to get used to but I find the mouse an amazing tool to reduce toil for someone with 2 hands. It would be a gawd send for someone without both.

Best of luck!
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    I was hesitating to whether to mention Dragon by Nuance and my Tartarus by Razer because I think they are likely second tier picks for FG. I have both but don't use either for FG.
    GavenRuneblades great list of resources would help put them in perspective as one as a possibility.

Dragon is really good software but would be likely be awkward in a game that uses voice. Windows has had built in voice command / voice to text software since Win7 its not a good as Dragon, but I bet Ctrl Click, Alt Click, ect would work fine and could be something to try before investing in Dragon.

The Tartarus or something similar *might* be an option because of the mini-joystick. One comment on the Logitech G13 linked up there - they are out of production which is why that one cost so much. Search on Programmable Gameboards 2020 and get something in production, most of the G13's still around for sale are old stock or used. Those things originally retailed for $50-60ish.

For FG in a game with VOIP, I suspect the foot pedal and a gaming mouse with a lot of buttons may be superior but work through GavenRuneblades' amazing list of resources. I do have a Razer Naga Trinity mouse. I'm lukewarm on it, but its claim to fame is it has three replaceable side button panels of: 2 buttons, 7 buttons and 12 buttons so you can change the amount of side buttons from game to game. On mine the contacts are finicky and you might have to take the mouse panel on and off a few times and / or blow out the contacts with air. The mouse buttons are fully programmable to you can get them do do whatever.
    Excellent advice and clarifications.

There are tools for integrating Dragon into situations where voice is important. For example, blind individuals use screenreading software which reads out everything that you and I look at. In order to use Dragon, there used to be a second program (J-say for example https://www.hartgen.org/j-say) interface that makes sure you don't get into a scenario where the screenreader and the control software are talking over each other or talking to each other. New versions of JAWS, NVDA, and Dragon are incorporating those tools into the base programs so they are becoming more and more functional in such scenarios. I have seen setups where people use a variation of push-to-talk that flips between which of two programs you are talking to as another example. I'm not sure what they were using in that instance, unfortunately, but they had a headset and could talk over a Zoom meeting, or talk to their computer on the fly.

As you mention, they are something to explore, but they definitely don't work for everyone in every scenario. This is the real value of the state grant programs (my #2 above) where you can get free training and test out the options to find out what is the best option for your unique needs. No recommendation is as good as having the chance to test it yourself.

There is a prominent DM on the FG Discord channel that is disabled and only able to use one hand. Your friend might reach out to him for advice.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Nope not a friend just someone I ran into in a FGC class. Which made me want to go out and search for what information was available. When I did not find anything I started this thread. He has the link if he want to come look he can. Do you know who the DM is in case other people run across this thread in the future maybe it will help them.

Blog Entries
    The main thing that you need the mouse AND keyboard for at the same time is probably targetting.
    If you can find a way to handle targetting - either an extension that allows you to do it 100% with mouse or remapping an additional mouse button as ctrl you should be able to operate with one hand but still using both devices.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I'm no expert on any of this but I do have experience with the Logitech G600 mouse. It has a ton of side buttons you can configure. You can have them execute a string of buttons, or spit out a block of text, or press keys (like alt/control/etc).

Your friend might be able to configure the side buttons with alt, control and shift (and combos of each). The side button section has 12 buttons so there "should" be enough. The mouse has 3 top buttons plus the middle. The ring finger (third button) can be used to toggle the side buttons to even more slots (like alt on keyboard for F keys).

It might take a bit of time to get used to but I find the mouse an amazing tool to reduce toil for someone with 2 hands. It would be a gawd send for someone without both.

Best of luck!
    I have used this mouse for a very long time. I use it to cut down on keyboard strokes for cut, paste, and enter for just a few. It is a godsend in most cases to keep my hands off the keyboard during development and conversion work and has made my work much more streamlined and speedy. I recommend this mouse. It does have a bit of weight to it as the mouse itself saves it's keybindings internally. If weight is an issue, then the Razor Naga equivalent might be better as the keybindings are saved in the cloud. Just wanted to add my vote to this great mouse.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    I have used this mouse for a very long time. I use it to cut down on keyboard strokes for cut, paste, and enter for just a few. It is a godsend in most cases to keep my hands off the keyboard during development and conversion work and has made my work much more streamlined and speedy. I recommend this mouse. It does have a bit of weight to it as the mouse itself saves it's keybindings internally. If weight is an issue, then the Razor Naga equivalent might be better as the keybindings are saved in the cloud. Just wanted to add my vote to this great mouse.
    One thing I will note between Razor and the Logitech mouse is the type of grip. If you like a "flatter" mouse then go Naga, if you prefer the "claw" type hand hold mouse, get logitech. I tried a naga but I could not use it for very long and not accurately. Also, the naga software for the mouse was,putting it bluntly, garbage at the time. It might be better... but the Logitech Gaming Software (9.02.X) is very easy to use.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information