STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

AD&D Classic Modules FG release frequency?

Hey folks. Total newbie to FG. I am super excited to have discovered it and took a totally confident leap of faith without hesitation and purchased FGU Standard One-Time Pricing license as I am really excited for its potential (and very much patient and understanding with the software development lifecycle process and fact it is still in Beta).

I've been out of D&D for decades, but my interest never really extinguished. I continued to occasionally purchase materials and adventure modules to read for nothing more than pleasure as an escapism, as if they were some detailed adventure novel to vicariously be drawn into.

These days, whenever I fondly reflect back upon those good ol days in the early 80s... a period of care-free innocence, a life still yet devoid of responsibilities or adult worries, I repeatedly find myself recalling those specific recollections from the deep recesses of my mind of sitting around a kitchen table, character sheet and well-worn No. 2 pencil in hand, playing D&D well into the dark of night with good friends, usually dangerously past my hour of expected return home at the risk of parental consequences.

Ah, but see... already I digress with the onset of nostalgia provoked by the simple written reminiscing above of those cherished memories once again.

Apologies. My actual intended question was to ask the community how often new AD&D adventure modules have historically been added to FG library? Excited understates how I feel to see the current list of some of the great classic AD&D adventures already available on FG under 1E/2E ruleset for which I can look forward to (not even to mention some of the 5E adventures), but the potential for the long list of other great classic modules not yet implemented is truly anticipation inducing.

Many thanks.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Welcome Jim

There is no release schedule for the older products. 5E stuff is released the same time it hits the stores but everything else is dependent on a lot of factors including: a dev completing the conversion, FG doing their QA, the dev fixing anything that QA finds, WotC approving it (although Im not sure if they need to approve the Classics modules) and then it going through the patch system.
    The first part is usually done by community members and that will vary a lot on their interest and availability for the specific adventure.
    Its only really been on the store for about a year and new titles keep appearing.

Oh and dont ride your bike home past Hawkins National Laboratory.

AD&D has only been officially licensed with FG year+ now. All those products came out last year (about 20 of them mine).

I can tell you one thing, the release schedule FROM ME will be slower moving forward. There are several other people working on content also.

My initial release schedule was accelerated to get the "core" content I thought would be most used. It was a lot of work and now I'm going to work on things I appreciate at a more relaxed pace. Currently I am working on Night Below and expect in 2-3 months it will be done (it's really big).

Since I also code the AD&D ruleset my time is split between content and coding the ruleset. With FGU that time could drastically change. Currently I am in a holding pattern on FGU until it's in a more stable state.

Outside of my projects I know D1-3 and Q1 are out there being worked on. There are others but I'll let them speak to those.

This doesn't give you a schedule however but, it's the best I can offer.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Many thanks damned and celestian. And a particular thanks to you celestian. I have been reading around the forum and see it is a lot of your personal blood, sweat, and tears bringing a more than fair share of the content to the community it seems like (I'm sure there are others well deserving of praise as well, but I am new so limited exposure so far). Much appreciate your sacrifice for our entertainment pleasure.

I was of course not expecting there to be a formal 'schedule', but seeing the current list of great memory invoking classics available now on FG, I am full of anticipation for some of the other great classics yet to come to fruition for FGU (yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have not even started on the ones already available. Did I say I was excited?!?). So was just curious how it worked that new adventures are added to the FG platform in general including how often or fast.

I was not sure if the adventures purchased from official channels such as directly from FG were produced by FG, or whether WotC was producing the content made available for FG and other platforms (them that shall remain nameless), or whether most AD&D adventure modules were actually developed and brough to market by independent developers and others from the community.

So thanks to the two of you for your replies.

Jim
    Last edited by AtochaGold; July 17th, 2020 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Yep. There are lots of old grognards playing with the awesome 2E ruleset!
    Easy mate, who is old here?

grognards most likely

I think my question is on topic... Where do you guys get your source documentation to create classic AD&D modules? I'm interested in creating some of the original Dragonlance (DLXX) but am having a heck of a time with: a.) the pdf'st text I have purchased from DMs Guild and b.) many of the maps were rendered in 3D by TSR and do not translate at all for a Fantasy Grounds battlemap.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRex View Post
    I think my question is on topic... Where do you guys get your source documentation to create classic AD&D modules? I'm interested in creating some of the original Dragonlance (DLXX) but am having a heck of a time with: a.) the pdf'st text I have purchased from DMs Guild and b.) many of the maps were rendered in 3D by TSR and do not translate at all for a Fantasy Grounds battlemap.
    The source is typically the same path you have used. DrivethruRPG. In most cases those are the ones provided to me when I converted at least. With the exception of the PHB/DMG/MM, everything else is a PDF on par or the same as the DrivethruRPG.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Awesome, thanks for the responses @celestian and @damned !

Looks like I am on the right path. Hats off to you guys for taking the time to make these modules and what you do for the community!

Thread Information