DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

can we get some GPU optimisation?

hey i just want to let the devs know that there could be a better gpu optimisation im currently running a gtx 980 evga overclocked edition and its using 30 to 40% of my gpu memory as you can see here. i have a 4gb card. Screenshot_11.png these are my base computer stats too Screenshot_12.png

is this on the docket?

We are working on performance improvements every week. One of the reasons why we haven't launched yet is because we're not happy with where the performance is at yet.

If you have performance issues in particular reproduce-able scenarios (certain images, etc.); then we are very interested in getting the campaign folder and steps to recreate. We just received a report and complete set of files and specifics yesterday that has clearly pointed out an issue with FoW getting too large that we are looking at now.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    We are working on performance improvements every week. One of the reasons why we haven't launched yet is because we're not happy with where the performance is at yet.

If you have performance issues in particular reproduce-able scenarios (certain images, etc.); then we are very interested in getting the campaign folder and steps to recreate. We just received a report and complete set of files and specifics yesterday that has clearly pointed out an issue with FoW getting too large that we are looking at now.

Regards,
    JPG
    yeh this report is based on just having the program open. 2 gb of ram and 30 to 40% usage of a gpu. i can do it but i hope this gets addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThingsCouldGetDicey View Post
    yeh this report is based on just having the program open. 2 gb of ram and 30 to 40% usage of a gpu. i can do it but i hope this gets addressed.
    This is why the devs need more than just a one line report. With just Unity open mine is using less than 300Mb of RAM and GPU is at 20%. So what you are seeing isn't universal; it could be specific to just you or just your graphics card or it could be something on your computer, a setting, the way you've set it up. A hundred other things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Good Morning everyone,

I have to be honest this is why i am not fully sold (i still have a FGU ultimate license though).

I have just upgraded my laptop from a I7 7th gen with GTX 1050TI 16gig ram to a Ryzen 7 4000 series with GTX 1660 TI 16gig Ram (for tax purposes )

my previous laptop (far to be obsolete TBH) was running the fans full steam all the time, burning my fingers while running the GPU at 50%

Memory management is also to be noticed.

on new laptop, the fans are runny moderately in the back ground and kicking hard from time to time. the GPU is more fluctuating from 15 to 30%
    FGU power hunger.jpg

The difference of power between the graphic cards explains the drop of power use but still...i tried with LOS maps vs still pictures, slight improvement but not that much.

So i loaded FGC with the same amount of modules, same map etc...just to compare At the same time FGC is running very quietly and does not use at all or barely any GPU power...
    FGC power hunger.jpg

Zacchaeus, I would really appreciate if you could send me your version of FGU Was it with FGU fully loaded?
    Last edited by readymeal; July 17th, 2020 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    2E does do a lot more processing than 5E too.
    funny you said that was just about to go to bed and decided to test that theory... very true regarding memory management mostly due to the fact that 2E does not have a srd.

5E does not need so much memory if only the SRD is loaded (i don t have any 5E core books to load and compare)

FGU 5E.jpg

I finally ran FGU 2E with the bare minimum modules loaded and it makes a big difference in memory usage. (the monstrous manual is a pig...so i unloaded it)

FGU 2E bare min.jpg

the amount of loaded modules obviously affects memory usage (we have been advised to load the bare minimum of modules while playing fgu) but this does not explain why a fixed 2D image needs some much GPU power.
    Last edited by readymeal; July 17th, 2020 at 22:43.

Blog Entries
    GPU optimisation aside...

One of the cool features in 2E is how built out the effects etc are.
    It does also cause an overhead...

Hi,

@Moon Wizard / @pindercarl

as pointed out before, I would be more than willing to help to pinpoint down the GPU issues.

My system (Surface Pro 7) is heavily affected by the problem and I already posted some performance measurements including from Intel Graphics Performance Analyzers which shows me exactly what GPU operation takes how many µs. This developer tool is meant for pinpointing GPU issues and performance optimization with very detailed analytics including disassembler features.

Example Intel Analyzers.JPG

See also: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page7

I am more than willing to share the detailed „memory“ snapshots for further analysis. As I understand, you have Win 10 / Intel GPU systems running with no problems. So, I think a differential analysis comparing Intel Graphics Performance Analyzers snapshots from both systems running the same campaign incl. plugins should help much in pinpointing the problems.

As I understand there are also similar tools within the Unity SDK. If those tools would be usable on the FGU executable and the tools would be available at no cost (as I understand they are), I would also be willing to do measurements with those tools.

Just let me know, how I can help.

The memory snapshots are not that useful by themselves. What we need is to be able to point to specific scenarios that are high memory/performance that are reproduce-able every time that we can use as test scenarios to review. If you have specific scenarios that cause problems, please let us know.

One point I will make is that FGU will probably under-perform on integrated graphics cards in general. Due to the customizable nature of the UI and the 3D dice, there's actually a lot more going on graphically than most people expect.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information