5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Well, this test scenario is just opening FGU, which already almost puts 100 % usage on the GPU (which should be according to pindercarl just 14k triangles). Opening a map and using just one FX effect maxes out the GPU.

As I understand from pindercarl, you have test systems which much less powerful GPU just running FGU fine. On the other side, there are many users with much more powerful dedicated GPU (high performance GPU, like GTX 1070) experiencing exactly the same problem as I do (see this thread or for a list of threads

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page4

So, in my humble opinion there must be a real glitch in FGU showing especially on some/many modern systems be it with integrated GPU or dedicated GPU.

I'd like to chime in that, this issue has been resolved for me (I'm on a MBP/vega graphics card). I bought back into FGU, and now with LOS turned on, GPU usage sits between 40% and 80% - the same goes for CPU usage. It's completely satisfactory to me.

This wasn't the case 3 months ago when I left FGU for FGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The memory snapshots are not that useful by themselves. What we need is to be able to point to specific scenarios that are high memory/performance that are reproduce-able every time that we can use as test scenarios to review. If you have specific scenarios that cause problems, please let us know.

One point I will make is that FGU will probably under-perform on integrated graphics cards in general. Due to the customizable nature of the UI and the 3D dice, there's actually a lot more going on graphically than most people expect.

Regards,
    JPG
    I am sure there s more in FGU than FGC but rolling the dice does not change the baseline GPU use... the numbers i pulled are from a still image, no action or clicking on function etc...i opened FGU, opened a map, the CT and place a token on it. nothing else.

From a memory point of view, it is very dependant on how many modules I load. 2E requires too many of them (PHB, DMG, MM and adventure as a bare minimum). However when i run a 5E game, i only use the SRD and the adventure module, no extra mod, no extension etc...and it runs fine (beside needing so much GPU power)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkamorta View Post
    Well, this test scenario is just opening FGU, which already almost puts 100 % usage on the GPU (which should be according to pindercarl just 14k triangles). Opening a map and using just one FX effect maxes out the GPU.

As I understand from pindercarl, you have test systems which much less powerful GPU just running FGU fine. On the other side, there are many users with much more powerful dedicated GPU (high performance GPU, like GTX 1070) experiencing exactly the same problem as I do (see this thread or for a list of threads

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page4

So, in my humble opinion there must be a real glitch in FGU showing especially on some/many modern systems be it with integrated GPU or dedicated GPU.
    I think looking at what Moon Wizard said earlier, i would expect some improvement down the road but don t hold your breath... I haven t seen any lower end machine running FGU that well. Not sure where you got that info from. I am running a GTX 1660 TI (equivalent to a RTX2060) and it s still too much GPU draw in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    I'd like to chime in that, this issue has been resolved for me (I'm on a MBP/vega graphics card). I bought back into FGU, and now with LOS turned on, GPU usage sits between 40% and 80% - the same goes for CPU usage. It's completely satisfactory to me.

This wasn't the case 3 months ago when I left FGU for FGC.
    I am glad you have seen improvement which allowed you to get back into FGU, however i honestly don t like my laptop running these numbers for hours on...unless i am playing a 3D FPS game. If i had a tower with plenty air flow... i would not have made any notice of the current GPU draw to be honest.

I haven't yet tried running a map with LOS turned off.

Maybe I should. I mean, with LOS on, I can understand that the GPU has to keep working as long as it is on. But if it's just an map without walls, and some tokens and dice rolls, I would expect FGU to run close to what FGC does.

Can a dev chime in here about this?

Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    I haven't yet tried running a map with LOS turned off.

Maybe I should. I mean, with LOS on, I can understand that the GPU has to keep working as long as it is on. But if it's just an map without walls, and some tokens and dice rolls, I would expect FGU to run close to what FGC does.

Can a dev chime in here about this?
    I tried and having a simple picture (of roughly the same size as a LOS map) slightly decreases the GPU load but we are talking single digit here... LOS does not seem to be really the one using that much GPU power from my point of view. I think patience is the only thing we can do at the moment.

To be clear, we are still working on optimizations to improve performance right now. So, hopefully it should slowly get better as we adjust.

Also, percentage indicators are always a tough measurement to work with, since it's all relative to the hardware and other tasks running on the machine.

However, if you are running in a scenario where performance is clearly impacted, please provide the exact scenario where the performance is not good. (i.e. game system, extensions used, modules loaded, etc.) And, simpler is better; if you can recreate with a minimal scenario (brand new campaign with minimal data/extension).

Regards,
    JPG

We used FGU for the first time tonight on 4 pc. All clean install with win10 x64, with nothing but FG and FGU and all hard wired on a lan, and it worked ok. But there where performance issues. Tried to open edge to get to Hero Labs Online and it just stalled out. Same when I tried to open a pdf on the character sheet. We like FGU but I think we will have to switch back to FGC until FGU is out of beta.

Well, as posted before, my scenarios on a Surface Pro 7 are:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page6

60 FPS for 5E Sample Campaign, Simple Gray, just starting the campaign, not opening any windows, not using any effects “ corresponds to “FGU 2736x1824 – native resolution (CPU 7%, 1 GHz, 3.5 GB RAM, GPU/3D 90-99%, 0.4 GB VRAM)”

32 FPS for 5E Sample Campaign, Simple Gray, Battle Map01 open and zoom to fit, not using any effects” and “25 FPS for 5E Sample Campaign, Simple Gray, Battle Map01 open and zoom to fit, just using one effect (rain)” correspond to GPU/3D 100 %.

To quote pindercarl (see link above):

I agree that this Surface Pro appears to be GPU bound, but it shouldn't be. I have a MacMini with a less powerful integrated GPU and it is not GPU bound. We also have reports of users with dedicated GPUs having similar issues. In the first example (5E Sample Campaign, Simple Gray, just starting the campaign), FGU is drawing around 14k triangles. That's it. There isn't any post-processing or anything else running.

With 14k triangles even a Surface Pro 7 (0.8 TFLOPS FB32, 1.6 TFLOPS FB 16) should be idling more or less. So I guess, there must be a glitch in FGU especially with modern integrated graphics.

By running the analytics I just tried to help to pinpoint that glitch by providing information how long the different GPU calls take at the above mentioned scenarios by creating a frame snapshot. Unfortunately, that does not seem to help.
    Last edited by Zarkamorta; August 3rd, 2020 at 20:23.

We don't do anything differently for different GPUs; so we don't have much control over GPU specific behaviors. That's all part of the underlying Unity game engine framework. All we really specify is things like max frame rate, and basic GPU behaviors.

The next update will remove additional scene objects with an eye to improving performance in general; but not sure if that will impact GPU performance at all. I would guess more CPU performance, but could help also.

It may be that not all integrated graphics solutions will be able to run FGU well; but we're still poking at this as we come up with ideas.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    We don't do anything differently for different GPUs; so we don't have much control over GPU specific behaviors. That's all part of the underlying Unity game engine framework. All we really specify is things like max frame rate, and basic GPU behaviors.

The next update will remove additional scene objects with an eye to improving performance in general; but not sure if that will impact GPU performance at all. I would guess more CPU performance, but could help also.

It may be that not all integrated graphics solutions will be able to run FGU well; but we're still poking at this as we come up with ideas.

Regards,
    JPG
    I was just implying that from my viewpoint there might be some issues between the GPU specific feature set and the scripts / libraries / plugins and extensions within Unity causing the problem. Maybe some outdated library, some snippet of code causing some specific GPUs to hiccup or something else.

I understand that there is no magic switch in Unity you can flip to make it work but there is room for code optimization and some parts could be GPU specific. At least, I find it strange that just starting FGU not opening any campaign already stresses my GPU. Opening a simple campaign maxes out the GPU, though according to pindercarl this should correlate to just 14k triangles which should not cause my GPU to sweat at all. That still sounds to me like some glitch in the code maybe only certain GPUs respond to. Further, as I understand also people with a dedicated and powerful GPU are seeing similar problems. So, the problem is not specific to integrated GPU.

Anyway, you are saying that maybe not all integrated graphics solutions will be able to run FGU well. Well, I’m running Intel’s latest and most powerful integrated GPU and I would expect FGU to run on such system.

The point I would like to make is, that FGU should be able to run on standard new generation CPUs with integrated GPU, especially medium powerful laptops. At least in my RPG gaming circle the days of dedicated gaming rigs are long gone. All my players moved to laptops, those which are still gaming having a console on the side. I guess, one cannot expect to have a whole RPG gaming group with every individual player having a gaming rig at his/hers hands. Though, I might find for myself a solution to run FGU on a different system, this is not something I could expect from my players. And I don’t want to start ditching players based on their CPU/GPU performance.

My hopes are still high that one day I will be able to move my group and my games over to FGU.

Thread Information