STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[BUG][PF1e/3.5] Manual Roller not rolling crit damage

found a weird issue

using the Manual Dice Roller

when you have target, and confirm a critical, the damage is _not_ multiplied (I imagine it should be default x 2) with damage roll from the CT

(it does when the actor has no target)

cheers

no mods/extensions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.PNG (1.65 MB, 18 views)
    Last edited by Zygmunt Molotch; July 15th, 2020 at 15:30. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Zygmunt Molotch View Post
    found a weird issue

using the Manual Dice Roller

when you have target, and confirm a critical, the damage is _not_ multiplied (I imagine it should be default x 2) with damage roll from the CT

(it does when the actor has no target)

cheers

no mods/extensions
    I have never seen a Manual Roller, how does one access it? Why would one use it? Any interesting applications?

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

you just turn the option on in the settings, it allows the GM to fudge rolls ... one would counter, when would you not use it ! *shock horror face*

It's primarily there to allow people who play face-to-face to enter rolls made by the players. Or, even if people playing online roll real dice. It also helps a lot with testing! The ability to make it look like a dice is rolled and the GM enters a number (fudging as mentioned) was added later.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Testing may be useful, thanks Trenloe!

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

It's actually the most useful thing to VTT

much like GMing in real life, rolls done 'behind the screen' shouldn't be up for player view, in lieu of a good story, some rolls pass, some fail, what ever is required to get the show moving

unfortunately this bug makes that transparent, as hitting the critical does not multiply the damage, thus ruining the illusion, and well, being broken

Quote Originally Posted by Zygmunt Molotch View Post
    It's actually the most useful thing to VTT

much like GMing in real life, rolls done 'behind the screen' shouldn't be up for player view, in lieu of a good story, some rolls pass, some fail, what ever is required to get the show moving

unfortunately this bug makes that transparent, as hitting the critical does not multiply the damage, thus ruining the illusion, and well, being broken
    If you roll (and confirm) a crit - can't you just click the 'critical' in the modifier window and then roll damage - does that not work? I do know there is a bug where effects on a character that should apply on crit don't, but that's a pretty edge case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
    If you roll (and confirm) a crit - can't you just click the 'critical' in the modifier window and then roll damage - does that not work? I do know there is a bug where effects on a character that should apply on crit don't, but that's a pretty edge case.
    actually that's close to the work around, holding shift and rolling DMG, but it still shouldn't be the way to approach it

So I think I have figured out the reason. The functionality for manual dice is in Core ruleset. Criticals are a function of the 3.5e/PF rulesets. While the die is called for... it doesn't know to retain the "critical" state in between rolls. So it makes a new roll to confirm with no target and then completely forgets everything it was doing when you go to roll dice. Or at least that what it looks like to me when reading the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixation View Post
    So I think I have figured out the reason. The functionality for manual dice is in Core ruleset. Criticals are a function of the 3.5e/PF rulesets. While the die is called for... it doesn't know to retain the "critical" state in between rolls. So it makes a new roll to confirm with no target and then completely forgets everything it was doing when you go to roll dice. Or at least that what it looks like to me when reading the code.
    The next question then, is there anything FG can do about it... would this need to be an extension (and just fork off a different version), or can they just retain info between rolls if it is a critical

Thread Information