DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 45 of 53 First ... 354344454647 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Thats a PITA. It could still be router or the particular IP triggering an issue. It is probably easier to just use the backup connection than to continue trying to troubleshoot.

Just a quick update. The player tried with a different ISP and was able to get into the game with no further problems atm. The advice we have been receiving has helped for now.

THANK YOU! to everyone who helped.
    If the problem re-surfaces we will update you again, but for now we both wish to extend the thank you to everyone who offered advice to try and fix this.

Here is a quick update. The player tried with a different ISP and was able to get into the game with no further problems atm. The advice we have been receiving has helped for now.

THANK YOU! to everyone who helped.
    If the problem re-surfaces we will update you again, but for now we both wish to extend the thank you to everyone who offered advice to try and fix this.

Trenloe sorry if I forgot to mention it. Yes I had tried using a VPN. However her switching ISP's does seem to have fixed it.

Tenloe Thank you for your help! I had looked into the advanced ISP settings, however my particular ISP does not allow users to make any of the changes you had suggested. If it were not for having a backup service for work reasons, I would still not be able to connect and would not be able to do anything about it.

To everyone. Thank you for all of the help!!!!

If there is a place to make suggestions to the developers, my one suggestion would be to create a situation that is less likely to be blocked by ISP's. Not all countries have the same protection for consumer's rights as the USA, and some people will be completely out of luck if their ISP blocks Fantasy Grounds.

In cases where an ISP where no changes are allowed, you would have to use a VPN to bypass the ISP settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    In cases where an ISP where no changes are allowed, you would have to use a VPN to bypass the ISP settings.
    I do understand that. I'm only speaking for me personally, but I wouldn't pay the monthly subscription for a VPN for a game (any game, I gave up multiple games when I moved out of the USA because of the need for a VPN). I'm just pointing out that there are/will be lost business opportunities if players have to jump through too many hoops just to connect. I was about to give up and request a refund on the game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaGrace View Post
    I do understand that. I'm only speaking for me personally, but I wouldn't pay the monthly subscription for a VPN for a game (any game, I gave up multiple games when I moved out of the USA because of the need for a VPN). I'm just pointing out that there are/will be lost business opportunities if players have to jump through too many hoops just to connect. I was about to give up and request a refund on the game.
    Totally understandable. And I think the devs agree with you. I believe it's one of the big reasons they implemented the lobby connection ability with FGU. But it can't be perfect. There are too many types of internet connections and security configurations, and some of them are designed to prevent exactly these types of connections, for them to make a fool proof connection method.

Do note, there are some free VPN services like Hamachi if one wants to go that route.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Totally understandable. And I think the devs agree with you. I believe it's one of the big reasons they implemented the lobby connection ability with FGU. But it can't be perfect. There are too many types of internet connections and security configurations, and some of them are designed to prevent exactly these types of connections, for them to make a fool proof connection method.

Do note, there are some free VPN services like Hamachi if one wants to go that route.
    OK, I think I will bow out of the conversation now. I was only suggesting that maybe more could be done. In my group of 5, we spent a month testing the service before choosing to make the switch, and during the month of testing all 5 of us could log in. Then right after we went live, two of us could no longer get in and we spent weeks troubleshooting only to discover that the only way we can connect is through a secondary ISP or a VPN. There is no real explanation for why one day we could log in and the next our ISP's were blocking FG. So, 1. I'm frustrated. and 2. I'm afraid that next time I try to log in suddenly my secondary ISP won't work either. We left our previous platform because of stability and connection issues. So far in all other areas, Fantasy Grounds is a superior service! I guess it just might take me some time to trust it after our last platform and my experiences with FG so far.

Blog Entries
    No need to bow out, and I think we all understand the frustration. I too had my ISP change on me one day and suddenly I could not have anyone connect to me. Fortunately I was familiar enough with the forums to understand that my ISP switch on "Advanced Security" feature for me without telling me. This feature they implemented to protect me was intentionally blocking other computer from connecting to my network. Worked one day, didn't work the next. Had I not known about the possibility, I would have been stuck and more frustrated than I was (and for much longer than the 30 minutes it took me to resolve).

If their is value and something we can help with, please let us know. FYI, the point of my post was to reassure you that you were not wrong, and that unfortunately in today's world, their is no perfect solution for connecting multiple computer together across the world when you can't control all the networks in between!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information