STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    @Weissrolf, We had this discussion a few months ago. I'm not getting into this again with you. Maybe one of the developers may chime in.

This has been said many times on this forum. In case users are reading this for the first time, I'll re-iterate:

The *very* strong recommendation from the forum and FG developers, based off years of FG support experience, is as I outlined above. If you decide to ignore this advice then do so at your own risk with the potential of losing your campaign data or experiencing incorrect functionality.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So without a technical reason being given the only sensible explanation would be user-error or software-bugs. Now let me give some advice to users in bold letter: Do proper backups independent of your FG cloud folder!

I am successfully using Onedrive for my FG data folders with two running campaigns for months and now switched to Dropbox (for reliability testing after reading the contra advice). If my data should ever get corrupted by user-error, software-bugs or the mysteriously unnamed black cloud hole then I can always go back to my proper backup (daily in my case).

Bonus hint: cloud-services usually offer versioning of files where you can restore an older version of a file/folder. Welcome to the digital presence (still quite stone-ageish).

Suggestion to the developers: Open your file handles for exclusive write access (file-lock) to protect the files from outside tampering during a running campaign. This is tried and true standard practice for decades already.

Blog Entries
    MOD: I am closing this thread. What has needed to be said has been said.

To Reiterate: Experience shows that using Dropbox or an active sync'd folder location for FG Data has frequently led to data corruption. Simply put, the technical reason(s) do NOT matter.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information