STAR TREK 2d20

Effects to previous roll?

There are things in 5E seem to want to apply "after a die has been rolled, but before the outcome is known". (E.g., the classic case of Bardic Inspiration, Fighter Superiority die for Precision attack)

Is there any guides on extensions that can 'go back in time' and look at the past roll, modify it, and recalculate the result?

(I play with a group of people that have been playing D&D for some time, and they are not really satisfied with the way such effects are currently handled in FG)

Thanks!

Indeed, Just to expand on what damned says:

1. Make the attack roll as normal
    2. Before the DM shouts hit or Miss decide to use Bardic Inspiratiion
    3. Roll the Bardic Inspiration dice
    4. Add that result to the modifer box
    5. Drag the original attack roll from the chat and drop it on the target.

This force FG to recalculate the attack roll with the new total.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Indeed, Just to expand on what damned says:

1. Make the attack roll as normal
    2. Before the DM shouts hit or Miss decide to use Bardic Inspiratiion
    3. Roll the Bardic Inspiration dice
    4. Add that result to the modifer box
    5. Drag the original attack roll from the chat and drop it on the target.

This force FG to recalculate the attack roll with the new total.
    This is a trick I did not know. I'm transparent about things like armor class, ability check and save DCs, but for those DMs who aren't this is very useful!

But step #2 is rendered moot by FG's combat automation, isn't it? Unless you do all die rolls in the tower, you'll see in chat whether you missed or not, correct?
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    This is a trick I did not know. I'm transparent about things like armor class, ability check and save DCs, but for those DMs who aren't this is very useful!

But step #2 is rendered moot by FG's combat automation, isn't it? Unless you do all die rolls in the tower, you'll see in chat whether you missed or not, correct?
    Not necessarily. If the DM has switch off Show DM rolls to clients and/or Show results to clients then the players aren't going to know if they hit or missed.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    yes as Zac says some tables dont display that
    my rolls are all set to visible
    the players have a fair idea of what they need to hit after round 1 most of the time

As far as automation you can have it on for the other players but the player with the ability has to not target and roll it into chat so there isn't an automatic hit/miss. For things where you can give a mod, like a Bard to another character, you would have to cut off showing the results to everyone to do it accurately.

The last time someone played a bard in my game to high level I found it just wasn't worth it to turn off automation so I let him do it after the fact, which is a bit of power creep, but as Damned says after a few rounds the player's know the target numbers anyway.

My caveat is that I enforce bardic inspiration before the roll. Cuts down on the stops. I tried it before the announcement, but just created a chaotic mess.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Idea Informer

I learn something new every day on here. Thanks

Thread Information