DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

GM hosting FGU over mobile connection

Hey All,

I recently took out a sub for FGC in the hopes of running a session with a group of friends who currently use FGC. Once I went to start a server and realised FGC relies on port forwarding, I knew it was a dead end due to my internet connection. I have a 5G mobile broadband connection as it is surprisingly more stable and infinitely times faster than any phone line connection we can have at the property. It means however that I cannot use port forwarding due to my mobile carrier using CGNAT with shared public IP addresses.

I saw FGU appears to have a slightly more modern approach to host/player connections using the server browser and states no port forwarding is required for the host. I can't see anything else posted here addressing this specific setup so was wondering if this could be a viable option?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Something I don't see a lot of information about: what's the typical _upload_ speed in a 5G network?

Hi Tanzin,

welcome, to answer your question, FGU will work well from hot spotting your phone. I do it regularly. I wish there was a free vpn working with FGC not requiring every one to install a 3rd party software...

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Hi Tanzin,

welcome, to answer your question, FGU will work well from hot spotting your phone. I do it regularly. I wish there was a free vpn working with FGC not requiring every one to install a 3rd party software...
    Thanks for the reply. Is that hosting or joining you can confirm works? I've been able to join games on FGC with no issues using 4G and 5G from different carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Something I don't see a lot of information about: what's the typical _upload_ speed in a 5G network?
    I avergage around 300Mb down and 30Mb up with a latency of around 18ms. It's not mm wave speeds designed to impress, but for general internet usage and gaming it is more than capable at a reasonable price.

@Tanzin - if you can't do port forwarding on your mobile connection then there are alternative solutions mentioned here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives

It is these solutions that @readymeal eluded to above.

However, FGU, currently in open beta/early access, gets around these issues using cloud brokering.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is that hosting or joining you can confirm works? I've been able to join games on FGC with no issues using 4G and 5G from different carriers.
    Hi Tanzin, no Difference with FGU they both (joining and hosting) work perfectly with hot spotting. FGC hosting is a bit more complicated...Where i currently work, there s only one cell phone provider so i am using 3G most of the time as 4G is slower during peak hours. no 5G business in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Hi Tanzin, no Difference with FGU they both (joining and hosting) work perfectly with hot spotting. FGC hosting is a bit more complicated...Where i currently work, there s only one cell phone provider so i am using 3G most of the time as 4G is slower during peak hours. no 5G business in the bush.
    That's excellent news. I'll switch my subscription over today and give it a test. 3G speed must be on the limit, especially if you are on voice chat at the same time? Living in the UK, I can't imagine what it must be like to have no choice in carrier.

@Trenloe - Thanks for the link. If I have any issues with players connecting when I test I'll check out that page. Hopefully it should work as I hope.

Hi all,
    In the same situation here. Just moved and the only internet option available to me was a "mobile internet" solution that uses an LTE router. I can use the 4G+ service and am very happy with speeds I am getting.

The annoying thing though is that I cannot seem to be able to use my FGC Ultimate despite forwarding ports on the router and following all the steps outlined on Portforward and those found on the forums here. I'm guessing this is because of the nature of mobile internet?

I've read the alternative options such as Hamachi, but want to make getting connected to my games as effortless for my players as possible so was also considering upgrading to FGU. I wanted to ask though, are community rulesets and modules made in FGC compatible?

Thread Information