5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Mentioned this before - Modules not loaded after update

My sample campaign I test extensions in once again had modules unloaded after an update. I mentioned this before, and nobody claims they see the same thing. Nor do I in any of my other projects.

I don't know if this is something to do with I'm bouncing in and out of this project (LAN connection) a lot and occasionally between one minute and the next an update appears.

Either way - something is doing this in this project I can be up and down in as I make a quick test of something. Is there something in the updater that is not "complete" when the "check updates" light comes up? And that I'm hitting some tiny window that forces my modules not to load then remember they have not loaded?

It's weird and I doubt I can reproduce it easily. This is second time I've seen it happen though.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Is the modulestate.xml file in the campaign directory getting deleted or overwritten?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Is the modulestate.xml file in the campaign directory getting deleted or overwritten?
    I guess I can try and check next time it happens. Problem is - whenever I see that its happened, I fix it. Which of course, overwrites the modulestate.xml. To be honest, I don't know that it does not get overwritten anytime I save the campaign, so maybe even harder to determine.

But yes, something has to have happened to it as that is what is "loaded in initially". Proving it may be tougher - as it does not happen every update - and by the time I've noticed it (stuff no longer reaching links) its usually a while past the update.

The modulestate.xml gets written out every time that FG exits; so technically it gets overwritten every time.

* How are you exiting? (red X at top, right click on background, other?)
    * What OS are you running on?
    * Are you moving any files around in the data folder between loads?
    * Are you using standard file locations, or custom file locations, for the FGU data/app folders?
    * Anything else you can think of that you might do differently than the average user?

I'm just trying to narrow down the conditions where this happens; since it doesn't seem to be a general issue.

Thanks,
    JPG

And, sorry if you've been asked this before, I can't remember if you have. are you using any active sync/cloud/backup solution on your FG data?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The modulestate.xml gets written out every time that FG exits; so technically it gets overwritten every time.

* Are you using standard file locations, or custom file locations, for the FGU data/app folders?
    * Anything else you can think of that you might do differently than the average user?

I'm just trying to narrow down the conditions where this happens; since it doesn't seem to be a general issue.

Thanks,
    JPG
    Understood. Power on

Red X at the Top. But when I have an error pop up (usually from foolishly load campaign that I forgot to close from last test) I right mouse close on app toolbar and close it while its still coming up.

Windows 10

No. My goal in extensions is minimum impact, minimum effort. I'm a lazy DM.

Standard that it chose for download. I have automated powershell command script to zip, rename, move my extension stomping the old one in the extensions directory. Lazy.

Just that when something errors on startup of FGU (noted earlier) I tend to kill the process immediately by closing the window (usually two of them as I forgot to close the previous one).

Like I said, I've only seen this twice - but its very noticeable when things start showing up undefined that are in modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    And, sorry if you've been asked this before, I can't remember if you have. are you using any active sync/cloud/backup solution on your FG data?
    I do have a windows 10 backup to a thumb drive for a number of directories - mostly my own. I think I tried to get it back up this one at one time but not sure if it was.

I manually dump the campaign directory out to my own thumb drive. Nothing is running when I do this. For absolute sure.

Thanks for info. Killing the accidental second copy will write out; but then the original should write over that. Definitely watch to see if you can figure out what might trigger, and I'll keep watch too.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for info. Killing the accidental second copy will write out; but then the original should write over that. Definitely watch to see if you can figure out what might trigger, and I'll keep watch too.

Regards,
    JPG
    Happened again. Problem is that when it happens - its overwritten already. Basically there was no update going on so that is not causing it.

Here is my current module state...
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <modulestate version="4" dataversion="20200528">
    	<module name="DD Dungeon Masters Guide">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="DD MM Monster Manual">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="DD PHB Deluxe">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="Death Indicator Tokens">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="Default Fumble and Critical Hit Tables">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="Letter Tokens">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    </modulestate>

When I saw it wiped I saw this...
    Code:
    <modulestate version="4" dataversion="20200528">
    	<module name="DD Dungeon Masters Guide">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="Death Indicator Tokens">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    	<module name="Letter Tokens">
    		<loaded />
    	</module>
    </modulestate>

Death tokens is some extension I've been running forever that gets auto loaded into modules I believe. This makes it about the 3rd time this has happened in a zillion startups and shutdowns.

Regards,
    JPG
    Just happened again, I'm 95% sure this is a result of me closing windows while its still coming up after a console error pops up from some LUA missing or mispelled word.

I'd just ignore it as bad timing on my part, especially if I'm the only one getting it. This time only the PHB was missing.

Thread Information