5E Character Create Playlist

LFG, old-time player recently returned to the game

I played a fair amount as a kid (35 years ago) and I got back into the game a couple of months ago. I DM FTF for some family members and I joined a group online about a month back but it wasn’t quite the right fit.

Basically, I understand the concepts of D&D very well (the role-playing, the story development, the character interactions, etc.) but I’m very shaky on the rules and should basically be considered a new player when it comes to them.

I’m looking for a group that is noob-friendly with a DM who is maybe a little forgiving and gives a fair amount of leeway for new players to learn the game without having the whole party repeatedly killed :-)

I’m still learning what I like, but I think I enjoy the social part of the game, the interactions, certainly the story and the character development, more so than “dungeon crawling,” or probably even more so than the actual combat. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy combat and I want it to be there, of course, but I think I probably skew a little more towards the other side of the game.

I’m willing to play homebrew and I probably prefer a DM-created world to something like, say, Forgotten Realms. I am willing to play in any D&D environment, however, including the pre-made, existing worlds and adventures.

I should also add that I probably prefer a world that is a little LOTR or GoT-like if we are talking about things like demonry, the prevalence of magic, the gods and stuff that takes place on other planes. I guess I like a fantasy world that’s a little more grounded when it comes to these things. But like I said, I am willing to play in any D&D environment.

I also have no experience with FG. I downloaded it and I have been dabbling in it a little bit but I don’t know much about it. I would like to eventually have the ability to DM online games so I also view this as an opportunity to gain experience with FG.

Some type of voice interaction is a must for me.

Thank you,

I look forward to your replies.

UPDATE: I’m on the East Coast and I’m probably looking for something that only meets weekly right now.

I’m something of a late-night guy, and Monday and Friday evenings are probably my best times to play, starting around 7:30 PM Eastern. I’m open to other nights, and Saturday morning or midday sessions are possible as well. I have some flexibility on most of these things. These are just my preferences.
    Last edited by Lord_Thomas; July 12th, 2020 at 17:56. Reason: Adding available times

Blog Entries
    Just thought, I see your location is set as "New York" so that's EST for time zone. If you have specific days/times you are restricted to, or looking for group openings for, you may want to add that information to your post too. That way potential GMs would be able to see if you might fit their schedules.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    Just thought, I see your location is set as "New York" so that's EST for time zone. If you have specific days/times you are restricted to, or looking for group openings for, you may want to add that information to your post too. That way potential GMs would be able to see if you might fit their schedules.
    Done. Thanks

If you'd be interested in learning Pathfinder, this game might work for you (I'm a willing teacher):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...or-Tue-Eve-EST

Pathfinder is an offshoot of D&D and thus a bit higher fantasy than your best choice, but within the range you said you're ok with.

Thread Information