FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Second Fantasy Grounds License

I would like to install FG on a second computer for testing and guests, etc. I have the Ultimate license already. For the second computer, should I just log in with my usual account (that will already be logged in on my main computer) or should I create a second account and just download the free license? The idea is to use them at the same time. Thanks!

I use the same account, but don't put in the license key. I use that as a player instance.

Blog Entries
    either works, just don't input your license key. (Or you will not be able to connect that client to your host)

I would probably use a different forum account, that way the second instance won't spend time updating all the content attached to your account (which won't be usable without the key.)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hello, all;

I am running a campaign where I host a Unity Ultimate License campaign online. I currently join a second instance of fantasy grounds to my hosted game on the same computer. I would like to connect a third instance of FGU on the same computer, but it is not letting me do so. What would be the best way to connect a third instance from the same computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlesslisa View Post
    I would like to connect a third instance of FGU on the same computer, but it is not letting me do so. What would be the best way to connect a third instance from the same computer?
    You can't. Running two player instances connected to the same campaign on the same computer is not supported - they try to access the same data cache files and this can cause local data corruption and unexpected errors and behavior.

FGC allows you to run more than one player instance on the same computer, but the same issues occur. So, you can on FGC, but you shouldn't. In FGU you can't even try to do this any longer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I don't think the architecture would support a third instance. Maybe if you were able to have a second installation so that both player instances have different caches. But be aware that many people have update issues when they have more than one installation since FG stores information in the registry and you can only have one set of registry entries. So, not even sure a second install would even be useful.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Maybe if you were able to have a second installation so that both player instances have different caches. But be aware that many people have update issues when they have more than one installation since FG stores information in the registry and you can only have one set of registry entries.
    Because of the registry being used to store file location details for FG, you wouldn't be able to have multiple instances running, even with separate installs.

The best you can do is run a VM or remote desktop to another computer, and use another FG install from there. The issue here (other than having a VM or another computer) is that the GM will need to be an ultimate license, or the second player instance will need a standard license.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I didn't think if their might be a way around the registry issues. Thanks for clarifying and providing a better answer than mine

Thanks for the quick responses.

for the free account you can just leave it blank on FGC. however, FGU requires a login. If you use the same as your host it won't work.

Thread Information