Starfinder Playlist

GM LFP D&D 5E Home Brew Friday, Saturday or Sunday 7-10PM EST

This game is currently full. Thank you!

FG License: FGC – Standard (That means you must have a FG Classic, standard or ultimate license to join this game.)
    Game System: 5E

Time Zone: USA – Eastern Time (-4 UTC)
    Day of week and time: TBD in session 0. Initially looking at Friday, Saturday or Sunday. 7PM (1900 EST) to 10:00PM, (2200 EST)
    If new game, planned start date: 24-26 July 2020 depending on what day of the week we decide on.
    Planned Duration & Frequency: 3 hours, weekly
    Term: Indefinite, playing a campaign, not a module. I would love nothing more than to form a good, core, group of players that comes back week after week because they enjoy the game and each others company.

Text or Voice: Voice
    Voice software used: Discord
    Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Players option, will discuss during session 0.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50 adjustable to player input
    Number of Players in game & needed: Looking for 5-8 players.
    Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level, standard equipment
    Character restrictions: See post below titled The Game.
    Details of your scenario: See post below titled The Game.

Link to Game Calendar Page: Will put in a link once I know the exact date/time we’re playing.
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; July 12th, 2020 at 15:00.

The DM

I started playing in 1979 with the basic set. A school friend invited me over to try a cool new game. He had the basic set and the players handbook. I made my character, a 1st level fighter named Noran the Barbarian. I began my journey walking along a forested road towards a small village. Suddenly, a huge white dragon landed right in front of my intended path. My DM asked, “Surprised?” I said yes, because I was… The dragon acted before I was given the opportunity to do anything. The DM picked up about 300 dice and threw them across the table. He told me the dragon had just used his breath weapon on me and did 48 points of damage to me. I was not given an opportunity for a saving throw but heck I only had 8 hit points anyways! Something didn’t seem right to me, but I didn’t know what. I made a new character, a wizard with an awe inspiring 2 hit points. I remember thinking, with two hit points, all the dragon will have to do is look at me harshly and I’m dead. Soon, I was on the same road, in front of the same dragon. Noran was a popsicle between us. I apparently rolled up right after he was frozen. This time, the DM asked me, “what do you do?” The only spell I picked was magic missile so I blasted the dragon with it. I did 5 points of damage. The dragon collapsed, dead, in front of me. My DM did not understand the difference between hit dice and hit points or really much of anything. But it was enough for me, I was hooked! Within a year, I had the basic set and most of the AD&D books. I was DM for a group of 8 school friends. Mostly because nobody else wanted to be DM—although I really enjoyed making stories/worlds for my friends. We ran through most of the classic modules before moving onto our own, home brewed worlds.

I stuck with 2nd Edition through most of my D&D career. Even when 3rd and then 4th came out. I had a lot of blood, sweat and tears invested in that edition and me and my friends never really saw a reason to change editions. I really do like what WOTC has done with 5th edition. While I may not agree with everything they’ve done, I believe the game is more accessible and easier to play and reading through the books made me eager to play.

As a DM, I’m more of a world builder. While I generally prefer to run homebrew campaigns, I also enjoy giving my own spins to Ravenloth, Dark Sun and Planescape which are, by far, my favorite realms to play in.

This will be my first virtual game using FG. I’ve been inputting a lot of my own material into FG and have run several trial combat encounters. While I may not know everything, I think I’ve got a pretty good grasp on how things work in FG. Right now, my only concern, is only using voice to play. I, in face to face play, use the players reactions/verbal clues to determine how the session is going and whether I need to make adjustments to ensure the players are having a good time. If the group opts not to use cameras, I’m not sure how I’ll be able to read how the players are reacting to the game.

At the end of the day, the most important thing to me, is to ensure the players are having fun.

The Game

Available Races (Sub-Races)

Aarokocra, Aasimar (Fallen, Protector, Scourge), Bugbear, Dragonborn, Dwarf (Grey, Hill, Mountain), Elf (Dark, High, Sky, Wood), Felidae (Jubatus/Cheetah, Leo/Lion, Tigris/Tiger, Onca/Jaguar, Pardus/Leopard, Lynx), Firbolg, Genasi (Air, Earth, Fire, Water), Gnome (Deep, Forest, Rock), Goblin, Goliath, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling (Lightfoot, Stout), Hobgoblin, Human, Kenku, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tiefling, Triton, and Yuan-ti Pure blood.

Race/Sub-Race Notes:

1. If there is something else you want to play, please give me as much notice as possible so I can enter it into FG/we can discuss it.
    2. All of the above races are entered into FG.
    3. Felidae are a homebrew feline species that replace the tabaxi in my world.
    4. Sky elves are winged/avriel elves.

Available Classes (Sub-Classes):

Barbarian (Ancestral Guardian, Berserker, Storm Herald, Totem Warrior, Zealot)
    Bard (Glamour, Lore, Swords, Valor, Whispers)
    Blood Hunter (Ghost Slayer, Profane Soul, Mutant, Lycan)
    Cleric (Forge, Grave, Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War)
    Druid (Dreams, Land, Moon, Shepherd)
    Fighter (Arcane Archer, Battle Master, Cavalier, Champion, Eldritch Knight, Samurai)
    Mist Walker (Blade, Mind, Shroud)
    Monk (Drunken Master, Four Elements, Kensei, Open Hand, Shadow, Sun Soul)
    Paladin (Conquest, Devotion, Redemption, Ancients, Vengeance, Tigris Knights)
    Ranger (Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, Hunter, Beast Master, Monster Slayer)
    Sorcerer (Divine Soul, Draconic Bloodline, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcery, Wild Magic)
    Warlock (Hexblade, Archfey, Celestial, Fiend, Great Old One)
    Wizard (Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation, War, Bladesinger)

Class/Sub-Class Notes:
    1. If there is something else you want to play, please give me as much notice as possible so I can enter it into FG/we can discuss it.
    2. Blood Hunter by Matt Mercer of Critical Roll. Approved module found on FG forums.
    3. Mist Walker by Cody C. Lewis of Taking20. Entered into FG myself. We can use it for our game, but cannot distribute—no permission.
    4. Sorcerer (Wild Magic) Not sure I will end up allowing this one.
    5. Monk (Kensei) One of my favorite classes from AD&D. Not sure they got the flavor of it right in 5th edition. May keep this in place, but add a fighter Kensei subclass.)
    6. Wizard(Bladesinger) – In previous worlds I’ve run, I had Elven Blades. Elven Blades were Bladesingers, Spellblades and Bladedancers) I may try and get those sub-classes entered. I’m still thinking it over but am looking at the following: Bard (Bladsinger), Fighter (Bladedancer), Wizard (Spellblade). Each sub-class would get their own abilities, but also have abilities that are co-operative in nature with the other blades. The current Wizard (Bladesinger) would stay the same, but change in name to Spellblade. The class features would also change names and a couple co-operative features would be added. Will only do this if I can maintain play balance).
    7. Tigris Knights are a Felidae race specific Paladin sub-class. Outlined on paper, but not yet entered into FG. Will be entered by session 0.

House/Table Rules

The following rules will be discussed during session 0 along with some other table rules:

1. To prevent metagaming, the DM will conduct all death checks. Either the die will be rolled so only the DM and involved player know the result or the DM will roll, keeping the results secret.

2. To keep the action moving during combat, each player will have 60 seconds to state their intended action. If the player is unable to state their action within 60 seconds, their action becomes Dodge. Time begins when the DM asks a player for their intended action.

3. Rule discussions/arguments must be kept to a minimum. If we can't find the correct rule after 3 minutes of searching, the DM will make a session ruling that will stand for the remainder of the session. After the session, the DM will look for the correct rule. At the next session, before play begins, the DM will cover the rule with the players so everyone is on the same page.

4. When leveling up, hit points will be determined by rolling the appropriate hit dice. If the roll is below the average, the player will use the average roll + their constitution bonus. Any rolls above the average will be kept and add any constitution bonus to the score. Examples:

* Bob the Warlock moves up a level. Bob rolls a d8 to add to his hit points. He rolls a 2, which is below the average of 4. Bob adds 4 + his constitution bonus to his hit points.
    * Wilbur the Wizard also moves up a level. He rolls a 7 on his d8. Because he's above the average, he keeps the 7 and adds his constitution bonus to his hit points.

5. Critical hits in combat will be adjudicated in the following manner: On a roll of a natural 20, the player/character has achieved a critical hit. Damage will equal the maximum base damage a weapon can do + one damage die rolled + ability modifier(s). Examples:

* Billy the Barbarian rolls a natural 20 while swinging his trusty Longsword of Cromness. His damage would be 8 + 1d8 + ability modifier.
    * If Billy were a real Barbarian he would be using a Greatsword of Cromness and do the following damage: 12+2d6 + ability modifier.

6. Critical results only apply to to hit roles during combat. Due to degrees of difficulty, natural 20's do not always equal automatic success when attempting ability checks.

7. Healing potions will always heal their full amount, no die rolls are necessary.

8. No called shots.

9. I don’t mind a little table talk, but please don’t let it bog the game down. Additionally, let’s agree to not talk politics/religion at the game table. Most people, now a days, seem very radicalized in their political/religious beliefs. Dominant voice has definitely replaced dominant mind. Please don’t bring these topics up at the table.

10. The golden rule—Treat others as you want to be treated.
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; July 11th, 2020 at 19:54.

The Game Part 2

Campaign Ideas:

I’m going to list 5 very basic campaign ideas for the player’s consideration. I’m giving a minimal description because I’d rather keep the specifics for the game itself. I have two sessions worth of material on all these ideas, except Rebirth which I have closer 4-5 sessions of material.

The Airship:

The players come across the wreckage of an old airship. Since there are no more airships in the world, this could be a very lucrative find. It might be even more lucrative to rebuild it. A series of quests would be required to get the parts/materials needed to rebuild it. Who knows what adventures may await you if the airship is rebuilt and used by our band of adventurers. Who might want to get their hands on it?

Original Name:

You find a torn out page of a book. On it is written a single word, the long lost true name of the Gith race. Suddenly, creatures from all over the planes want to know what the players possess. The players could find themselves mixed up in the githyanki/githzerai war. And what would the illithid do to get their hands on that page and bring the gith back under their control. (Great idea I found on the internet.)

Slaves to the Divine:

An angelic being visits the players representing a deity one of the players follows. The being informs the players they have been chosen to complete a world changing event. The being gives out a series of quests to bring that event to fruition.

The Guild

The players live in one of the biggest cities of the realm. They’ve fallen on hard times and the entire group has been pressed into a Thieves Guild. This thieves guild employs more than just thieves so the players are not restricted to just playing rogues (Certain classes such as Paladin/druid probably wouldn’t work too well). The boss of your group comes to your group with a test for full guild membership. Thus begins your rise in the thieves guild.

Rebirth:

If you are familiar with The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, in Rebirth, Sauron/Voldemort won. The players start as slaves to the dark lord. Their parents were slaves and their parents before them were slaves. The characters will start out with no classes/no equipment. A new overseer and an escaped slave make the camp dangerous. The overseer has ordered executions in the camp until the lost slave is found. Is now the time to try and escape yourselves? What then? It seems the whole world is against you! A campaign where everything must be earned in a high risk, high reward environment.
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; July 11th, 2020 at 19:56.

The Players

What am I looking for in players?

1. Players that show up consistently, on time, and a ready to have fun.
    2. Players that care enough about their characters to write bios that help the DM come up with story ideas centered around their characters. I like to do monthly spotlights on characters where we take a break from the main story line and run one session focused on a character and their sub-plot. This way, everyone has their chance to be in the spotlight.
    3. I appreciate players that are comfortable enough to come to me with constructive criticism on how I can be a better DM. I want to know if you’re not having fun so I can try to address the issue.
    4. I want players that are eager to play and attentive to the game.
    5. I’m not concerned with experience level. I love new players learning the game just as much as experienced veterans.
    6. Players that will treat each other with respect and kindness, even if they don’t necessarily get along with everyone.
    Last edited by JonStormbringer; July 11th, 2020 at 20:29.

I would be interested in joining your table. I started playing D&D in the early 80s. similar experience...picked up the box set because I loved the artwork. Got hooked as a teen. Hit my 20s and professional life and family put the D&D hobby on hold. Now I've got a bookshelf full of D&D books and no-one local to play with.

I'm also in the EST time zone. For me, Fridays or Saturdays would be preferred. Like to keep my Sunday evenings open because Monday mornings are hard enough without being tired.

I have a FG Classic license. I've played a couple one-shots in FGC, so while I'm by no means an expert, I'm comfortable with it.

I'm in total agreement with what you are looking for in players (especially #6)

Let me know if you need more information from me.

I love nearly everything said in this. It's almost identical to how I run my own games at home. I'm a long time forever DM, looking to finally get a chance to join a campaign as a player. I didn't see any instructions on how to apply, but I'd love to toss my hat into the ring. I'm much more familiar with Roll20 than I am with FG, but I'm a quick study. What information do you need from me to possibly get a spot at the table?

Hello there, After reading this I would be very interesting in getting the chance to play in your games and join the table. I am a newer player having only played in a handful of games and sessions, but really enjoy becoming my character. anytime during Thursday, Friday and Saturday would be preferred due to work. I have only used roll20 but would have no issue using FG. Everything seen here looks like just the right type of game I've been looking for. Is there any further info I could give you for a potential spot in your game?

I have sent PM's to the three respondents above, please check your email and respond.

This game is currently filled. If a slot opens back up, I'll post here. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Thread Information