FG Spreadshirt Swag

Indication of used Reaction on PC side?

Hi,

I've been using FG to run 5e games for several years, but in a face-to-face capacity. This has led me to be very well versed in the DM side of the equation but not so much on the PC side. Anyway, that's now changed because of 'the situation' and I'm looking to get games running over the internet.

So, in our face-to-face games my players use pen(cil) and paper, and so mark if they used their reaction on their sheet, or notes, and I would also click the button in the DMs CT (under the 'Offence' tab). Now that my players are also using FG I was a bit surprised they don't have a similar 'Reaction Used' button either on their CT or even on the Character Sheets? Am I missing something? Can I just not see for looking, or is it intended for only the DM to note reactions used?

Working on the premise that there is no 'Reaction Used' indicator on the PCs side, I tried to construct an Effect that both the players and myself could drop on the CT when reaction has been used (it will just be a visual reminder, no mechanical effect is needed). The first bit is easy, just name it and drop it (I put it on the quick bar at the bottom, for ease of grabbing), now the PC or NPC shows 'Reaction Used' on the CT. This is great, but the thing that would be most useful would be for it to drop off when the CT lands on the PC/NPC who had used their reaction, as per the 5e rules. But so far the best I can do is to make it drop off the CT when it hit the same Initiative number that it was added on (after 1 full round).

Am I missing a way of forcing an effect to drop off the CT when it is the next turn of the effected PC/NPC? Would Kent McCullough's 'Turn Based Effects' be any help here? It works great for automating Sneak Attack's availability during a round, but I haven't had any success with my use scenario.

It'd be great if this could also work with Initiative Rolled Each Round option on, but even trying to consider this is making my head hurt!

As always, any help from those wiser, more experienced, and probably better looking than me is gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; July 11th, 2020 at 18:17.

There isn't a reaction used on the players side. generally players cannot interfere with things like the CT.

You are best setting up an effect in each players action tab for the reaction used; and set the duration for 1 turn.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi,

Thanks for that, it seems to work exactly how I'd like doing that way, although I had to set it to 1 Round as Turn isn't an option that I can see. Is that correct? Unfortunately it seems that the effect it tied to the Initiative roll of the PC/NPC so it won't work (or I've not worked out how to make it work) with the Initiative Rolled Every Turn option active. Maybe that's just an insurmountable limitation, although the checkbox on the CT seems to be linked to the PC/NPC rather than their position on the CT making it work fine with variable initiative... hmmm...

Anyway, thanks again for this and maybe we'll just stick with static initiative or myself keeping track of everyone's reactions used if we go variable.

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; July 11th, 2020 at 19:19.

You can edit the initiative to end on in the CT. But, yes. Since reactions are used out of turn then 1 round might not always be correct.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information