5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Blood Hunter (2020) Revised Module Version

Hello everyone!

So this is my first offical post in Fantasy Grounds! I love D&D and always wanted to play it! Fortunately due to the Steam Summersale I could afford it and bought it on the whim.

While I was at the peak of my excitement I wanted to test the waters and add a Class which is beloved in the Community, the Blood Hunter. Two years ago another FG player, spite, created the Blood Hunter module and I instantly took that version and wanted to use it for one of my campaigns. Unfortunately it was the old version of the Blood Hunter and since then it was recently revised and rewritten by Matthew Mercer. Spite wrote in his thread, that he won't continue updating his module which I can understand.

So I sat down with my measly knowledge of FG and started building the Revised Blood Hunter module.
    I have taken spites module and edited and rewrote most of it. It took me a whole evening and the night, since it was the first endavour I have done in FGC. I made a fully revised 2020 version, which you could almost use without any other modules. Almost, since I implemented the items, tools, weapons, armor and warlock spell list into it (only the phb lists).

Now I have a small problem. I really wanted to add images. Sure they are the icing on the cake but still, it would be really nice since I made alot of an effort to bring that module on par with the other classes.

My problem is... if I use the images of Matthew Mercer's PDF would that infringe on copyright? I would like to ask for his blessing and upload it here on the forum but since I don't know whether I can or not...I wanted to ask you guys!

Would the images be a problem? Is there someone who can share some blood hunter art which I could use? I would be really happy if you guys can help me out so that I can upload the module here on the forum! :D

Blog Entries
    You can do anything for your own personal use.

You can not distribute the class or the images without Matt's permission. The class, as well as the artwork, is copyrighted.

edit: Oh, and welcome, and thanks for wanting to contribute!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So you are saying that I should contact Matthew Mercer somehow to ask for his permission right? My optimism cannot be beaten! At least I will try that out!

Blog Entries
    Yes

Matt did give his permission for his very early versions. So it's not that he is unfamiliar with FG etc. Good luck

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I very much look forward to updates on this. Good luck, friend!

Has there been any progress in getting Matt's permission? An updated Blood Hunter is definitely preferable (especially since it's been revised and improved)!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    Has there been any progress in getting Matt's permission? An updated Blood Hunter is definitely preferable (especially since it's been revised and improved)!
    Nothing anyone has posted. You can always try to get his permission yourself. Or you can just create the class for your own personal use. It's not too hard and I'm sure you can learn how. There are guides on YouTube and in the wiki to get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarion View Post
    So you are saying that I should contact Matthew Mercer somehow to ask for his permission right? My optimism cannot be beaten! At least I will try that out!
    Had you heard anything back? I just sent a message to them via the CR site in case no one had yet....

I tried to contact him via Critial Role right after it released and never heard back about it, either.
    He's a very busy guy, obviously. I think Twitter might be the most likely way to get in touch, but I don't have that.

I believe that permission for this would have to come through WotC not Matt. The reason is because it was posted on the DM's Guild ownership it with them now. Matt still has the copywriter and it is his IP but they own publishing.

Thread Information