DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Selling FG modules on DMS GUILD: content question

Hello,

I'm sorry if this question has been already answered but I wasn't able to find it.

If I create a Fantasy Grounds module and sell it on DMS Guild, can it contain contents from other FG modules? For example, can I import creatures from the D&D FG Monster Manual module inside my module and sell it?

Or do I have to link them in my module and let the users know to purchase the modules needed in order to access that content?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    You can include monsters from the SRD but you must include the OGL license in your product.
    Otherwise you can only include links.
    If you dont have rights to the product you cannot distribute it.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You can include monsters from the SRD but you must include the OGL license in your product.
    Otherwise you can only include links.
    If you dont have rights to the product you cannot distribute it.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Damned, that's not true for the DMsGuild.

The DMsG is not restricted to the OGL like if you were to publish elsewhere on the internet. The DMsGuild Community Content Agreement includes the ability to use WotC content, including data from almost all of the WotC published books (and FG modules). It also has a restrictive statements, like everything you publish on the Guild can be used by others (including WotC) for their products, and that you only get 50% of the price everything you sell.

Unfortunately, I can't log into the site at the moment to post a copy of the current CCA, but this page is a good place to get started; https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...-Masters-Guild

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    As support, look at this question and answer;
    Can I use creatures like the beholder and mind flayer, which the OGL lists as “product identity,” in my DMs Guild title?
    Yes. Product identity exclusions apply only to publishing under the OGL. Product identity has no meaning under the DMs Guild program.
    https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...-OGL-Questions

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

The DMsG is not restricted to the OGL like if you were to publish elsewhere on the internet. The DMsGuild Community Content Agreement includes the ability to use WotC content, including data from almost all of the WotC published books (and FG modules). It also has a restrictive statements, like everything you publish on the Guild can be used by others (including WotC) for their products, and that you only get 50% of the price everything you sell.

Unfortunately, I can't log into the site at the moment to post a copy of the current CCA, but this page is a good place to get started; https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...-Masters-Guild
    Oh, so that means I can import the creature directly into my module. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes, as long as you are not only reproducing things.

So, you could not make an 'Encyclopedia of Monsters' and then go make your own module of NPCs that is just a collection of monsters from other sources.

But, if you are making an adventure, you can certainly include monsters from the MM, Volos, etc. Just like you see in an official module, you can do the same thing.

The one area you can not re-use is maps and artwork. You can not reuse maps and images from other sources.

Yes, as long as you are not only reproducing things.

So, you could not make an 'Encyclopedia of Monsters' and then go make your own module of NPCs that is just a collection of monsters from other sources.

But, if you are making an adventure, you can certainly include monsters from the MM, Volos, etc. Just like you see in an official module, you can do the same thing.

The one area you can not re-use is maps and artwork. You can not reuse maps and images from other sources.
    All clear, thank you LordEntrails

Blog Entries

That applies to material from the published WotC books but copying it from the Fantasy Grounds version also would require you to get similar permission from SmiteWorks.
    Fantasy Grounds content is not without SmiteWorks IP.
    None of the info in that link says you can copy material from other FG modules into your own.

At this stage - at least until further light is thrown on this - you cannot copy content from another FG module - other than the SRD modules - without specific permissions.

Ok, now I'm confused ��
    Is there an official guide that says I can or cannot?

Thread Information