STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Question: setting all the ID icon/buttons to not identified by default

Hi,

I have a question regarding the ID button for items/maps/creatures in 5E running the FGC Ultimate license.

Is there a way to set them always to not identified by default?

As a gamemaster for me this should be the default option, where ever I have it, drag and drop something or add something in the game and I just want to toggle this once at one place for everything always.

I know it is just one click but if I have to create a random encounter on the fly and drag a NPC into the combat tracker it invisible at first but it is already "ID-ed" and more often than just sometimes I forget to set it to "not ID-ed", which IMHO should be the default. Also when I prepare an encounter before playing everywhere I have to set it back to "not Identifed", because it would spoil the "surprise" ;-).

I did look at the options menu within FG but haven't seen something in there but did not yet waded/searched through the oceans of extensions available.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    There is no option to change this behavior. Depending upon the source, some things are unidentified, but not most of them. No extension I am aware of that changes this behavior.

You can check out the Wish List, and either vote on the idea or add a new one.
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Historically only magic items were originally toggle-able between ID and Non-ID. There used to be an option in options which allowed the DM to set a default (either ID or non-ID). Most users either diodn't know the option existed or didn't ever use it so it was deprecated a couple of years ago. At the same time the ability to have creatures and images be identified/not identified was introduced. The default state of all items which can be toggled in this was is now set to identified and it is up to the DM to toggle that if they want to.

As a legacy magic items in the DMG default to non-id'd and you'll also find some non-id's magic items in some of the earlier adventures.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Historically....
    So the FGC code is spagetti code and I can only hope that the FG Unity code is done properly while adding it to the wish list .... .. it could have been so easy (easy said in hindsight I know)

Still thanks, I ll try to get a better work routine then ...

Quote Originally Posted by tamahandy View Post
    So the FGC code is spagetti code and I can only hope that the FG Unity code is done properly while adding it to the wish list .... .. it could have been so easy (easy said in hindsight I know)

Still thanks, I ll try to get a better work routine then ...
    Not sure what you mean. As I said there used to be an option but no-one used it. So it was removed. It's not likely to come back because one user wants it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by tamahandy View Post
    Hi,

I have a question regarding the ID button for items/maps/creatures in 5E running the FGC Ultimate license.

Is there a way to set them always to not identified by default?

As a gamemaster for me this should be the default option, where ever I have it, drag and drop something or add something in the game and I just want to toggle this once at one place for everything always.

I know it is just one click but if I have to create a random encounter on the fly and drag a NPC into the combat tracker it invisible at first but it is already "ID-ed" and more often than just sometimes I forget to set it to "not ID-ed", which IMHO should be the default. Also when I prepare an encounter before playing everywhere I have to set it back to "not Identifed", because it would spoil the "surprise" ;-).

I did look at the options menu within FG but haven't seen something in there but did not yet waded/searched through the oceans of extensions available.

Thanks
    See if this works how you want it?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ication-Option
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I've only read the post, but it explicitly does what he doesn't want.

If you set the option on it will identify everything. If you set the option off it does nothing. He wants the option to have nothing identified unless he specifically sets that item to identified.

I must say I would really really love the option for everything to be unidentified by default too.

It just seems strange to massively expand the items affected by an option (ability to make NPC, Maps etc. unidentified) at the same time as depreciating the ability to choose the default setting of the option. I know I was never bothered about the option before it was expanded, but since then it is a massive pain to go through every NPC and Image to set it to my preferred default of not identified.

And if the option can't be reinstated, I would say that it should really default to Unidentified, as my players seeing something they know about show as Unidentified isn't as game/plot/immersion breaking as seeing something that should be a mystery accidently identified for them. The way it is now is creating much more busy work for me as a DM, which is something FG very successfully minimises in so many other areas of the game.

Cheers,

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    I must say I would really really love the option for everything to be unidentified by default too.

It just seems strange to massively expand the items affected by an option (ability to make NPC, Maps etc. unidentified) at the same time as depreciating the ability to choose the default setting of the option. I know I was never bothered about the option before it was expanded, but since then it is a massive pain to go through every NPC and Image to set it to my preferred default of not identified.

And if the option can't be reinstated, I would say that it should really default to Unidentified, as my players seeing something they know about show as Unidentified isn't as game/plot/immersion breaking as seeing something that should be a mystery accidently identified for them. The way it is now is creating much more busy work for me as a DM, which is something FG very successfully minimises in so many other areas of the game.

Cheers,

Simon
    The devs receive data on what options are set and the option to have everything unidentified was being used by a minuscule % of GMs.
    The code for options becomes more and more complex as the number of options increases so occasionally options that are not being used are removed.

But if the 'usage data' the devs received was before or not to long after a massive expansion of the use possibility of that option, then the data would be rendered obsolete, no? I suppose I'm saying that if the devs are using usage data to make a decision, it may have been wise to wait until the impact of the new situation with regards the number of potential identified/unidentified usage cases was seen? Or maybe the timeline is out, and this was decided a couple of years after the change? I'm just basing it on my vague recollections and what was said in a previous post above. As I said I never used it when it was just Magic Items but now it is NPCs and Images I really really wish the option hadn't been depreciated.

Also, just because something has been removed, does not mean it shouldn't be raised and discussed on the forums. Otherwise how would the devs even know that, with a change in the situation, an option may once again be very much desired by a significant proportion of their user base? I'm not say that is the case here, maybe it's just a couple of us, but it really seems like this is the perfect place to discuss it?

Cheers, Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; July 11th, 2020 at 16:31.

Thread Information