Starfinder Playlist

Font issue / discrepancy between Classic and Unity

I'm noticing a lot of the time that Unity is showing the square "unknown character" glyph in purchased content where it should be showing punctuation. For example, here is part of a (purchased) adventure as presented in Classic:

And here is the same section as presented in Unity:

I'm seeing this throughout a lot of modules in various settings and systems, and for more punctuation than quotation marks and apostrophes.

Unity handles font rendering differently and doesn't have support for everything Classic does.
    You should report that in the system-specific bug report threads and they'll probably get it fixed quickly.

I thought this forum was for reporting Unity-specific bugs. That's why I posted it here. But sure, I'll add to that thread too.

e: sure enough, the 'How to report bugs in Unity' thread says to post a thread here, not in House of Healing.

e: As an aside, that square glyph is the standard indicator for "This font does not have a glyph for the specified character", so this might be as simple as finding a more complete font, or it might be as arduous as needing to refactor the font used for text in Unity to have the characters used in the packages that Smiteworks sells.
    Last edited by Ghoti; July 5th, 2020 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoti View Post
    I thought this forum was for reporting Unity-specific bugs. That's why I posted it here. But sure, I'll add to that thread too.

e: sure enough, the 'How to report bugs in Unity' thread says to post a thread here, not in House of Healing.

e: As an aside, that square glyph is the standard indicator for "This font does not have a glyph for the specified character", so this might be as simple as finding a more complete font, or it might be as arduous as needing to refactor the font used for text in Unity to have the characters used in the packages that Smiteworks sells.
    I'm just trying to help you get those issues resolved, no need to defend your choice of subforum. It would seem like a bug in Unity and when I first saw it I thought it was too, but they have said that one is more accurately called a bug in those modules, because those characters weren't supposed to be used in those modules anyway (they don't follow best practices). Just because they happened to work in an out-of-spec way before doesn't mean the new program should similarly deviate from stated behavior.

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyGrou...assic/fwo28b2/
    Last edited by bmos; July 5th, 2020 at 21:40.

This is not technically a bug in FGU, the issue really is that FGC allowed for different encoding.

The issue is that FGC could use text encoding that used windows-1252 encoding instead of ISO-8859-1 which is what FGU supports (even though technically FGC only supported ISO-8859-1, it allowed Windows-1252 encoding). Windows-1252 has extra characters that are not in ISO-8859-1, so if those characters are used, you will see the behavior that you show in your screen shots.

Previous discussion here.

One of the devs responded in that thread (Moon Wizard), the fix is to replace the unsupported Windows-1252 characters with the equivalent ISO-8859-1 characters.

If this is a specific module from the store that is having this issue, the devs need to know which module it is so it can be put on the list to get fixed.

Example modules demonstrating the issue include but are not limited to:

AAWFGSWA00 - A00: Crow's Rest Island
    S2P10205FG2 - Deadlands Reloaded: Marshall's Handbook and Extension
    PEGDLRLOS1FG2 - Deadlands Reloaded: OneSheet Adventure PAK
    S2P10204FG2 - Deadlands Reloaded: Player's Handbook
    PEGFGSWADE - Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
    WOTC5EAI - D&D Acquisitions Incorporated

Thread Information