FG Spreadshirt Swag

Issue with text display in CoC 7th Edition?

I seem to be getting an error with text display in Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition - when I load a module, it isn't displaying apostrophes or quotation marks correctly (see picture). This doesn't seem to happen in, for instance, D&D5E, but does seem to happen in all CoC 7th Edition modules for me.

Apologies if this has already been reported - I couldn't see anything when I searched for it.

I'm running a fully-updated copy of FGU (v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-07-02)).

Annotation 2020-07-05 231554.jpg

Blog Entries
    Which module(s)? It's an xml compliance issue with some characters that were used in some modules that were not per the ISO standard. FGC would interpret them, FGU does not.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Wish I'd noticed this thread a little while ago; I just posted a similar question:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ssic-and-Unity

I have been seeing the same thing occur in D&D5E as well as Savage Worlds. I suspect if it's "some modules", it's quite prevelant.

A list of modules in which I have recently observed the issue can be found in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post524095

Sorry for the delayed reply. I own pretty much every CoC module that's available, so looking through them has taken a while.

In terms of the modules affected, I started writing a list, but it seems to affect every single module that isn't an old 6th edition module - by which I mean the ones that, when loaded, add story entries but do NOT display in the library (the 6th edition ruleset ones, Horror's Heart, etc). It also doesn't seem to affect the rulebooks themselves - just the story entries from what I've seen so far - so the 7th edition ruleset is fine, but the included scenarios are not.

I saw reference in one of the other posts to an issue with scenarios constructed outside of Fantasy Grounds being at risk of these issues. But they even occur in The Shadow Over Providence, and I know that I converted that entirely within Fantasy Grounds Classic.

Blog Entries
    The referencebooks were created in Par5e and cleaned up to remove any invalid entries so Im glad they are clean.

The issue for the modules is that FGC accepted a number of characters that were not strictly in the character set. This means that they were accepted and displayed ok in FGC but FGU has exposed this.

The best way to fix these is for the original converters to open the campaign db.xml in a text or code editor and find/replace all the invalid characters and then export the adventures again and resend them to SmiteWorks...
    Otherwise if they are just fixed in the module then if there is ever an update done by the original converter the bogus characters will return...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The referencebooks were created in Par5e and cleaned up to remove any invalid entries so Im glad they are clean.

The issue for the modules is that FGC accepted a number of characters that were not strictly in the character set. This means that they were accepted and displayed ok in FGC but FGU has exposed this.

The best way to fix these is for the original converters to open the campaign db.xml in a text or code editor and find/replace all the invalid characters and then export the adventures again and resend them to SmiteWorks...
    Otherwise if they are just fixed in the module then if there is ever an update done by the original converter the bogus characters will return...
    Fair enough. I'll fix mine this weekend then!

Thread Information