FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    ^^^ Same.

It's been a regular frustration for my group for weeks now. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Everyone is updated, server goes live, and I'm even hosting it LAN. (Cloud had the same issues, but even worse for me). It was kinda insane, dice rolls would freeze the game long enough to grab a drink and come back. Several times, just clicking the map or advancing the combat tracker would make the application totally unresponsive. Things were just lagging behind so poorly. I really want this to work, because I personally enjoy the application a lot, but my players are getting very frustrated in combat encounters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JSCHERTLER View Post
    ^^^ Same.

It's been a regular frustration for my group for weeks now. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Everyone is updated, server goes live, and I'm even hosting it LAN. (Cloud had the same issues, but even worse for me). It was kinda insane, dice rolls would freeze the game long enough to grab a drink and come back. Several times, just clicking the map or advancing the combat tracker would make the application totally unresponsive. Things were just lagging behind so poorly. I really want this to work, because I personally enjoy the application a lot, but my players are getting very frustrated in combat encounters.
    Verify the build date code for the GM and every player. Disable all extensions, test. Unload all modules, test.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Verify the build date code for the GM and every player. Disable all extensions, test. Unload all modules, test.
    Good suggestions. I'd actually ascertained this potential solve by reading the forums already. I don't have any extensions (including the fonts, etc. that people forget are extensions), all users are updating prior to session, and the only module I've loaded is the one in active play. It's not always the same issue. Some sessions have disconnecting issues, others have latency problems like this one. I'm not sure what a "fair benchmark" of performance looks like though for average users. If an average session is 3 hours of game play with 4-5 users and no disconnects during game play, or latency crashes, I'm under performing. However, if that's just the state of the beta right now, there's not much to be done, but wait for improvements. I'll track my logs for my next session and post them to support on the forums.

One consistent issue that's always happened is a lag every time a player joins the server. This has happened to me on both cloud and LAN, so I suspect it may be an issue with FGU at the moment.

One user recently reported big lags and tracked it down to a very large XML file in their campaign moduledb directory. All of those GMs who have experienced recent lockups like mentioned in this thread, please post a screenshot of your <FG app data>\campaign\<your campaign name>\moduledb directory for the campaign having issues (showing file details so that the file size can be seen). Get to <FG app data> by clicking the folder icon in the top left of the FG window before loading a campaign.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 14th, 2020 at 08:51.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    One user recently reported big lags and tracked it down to a very large XML file in their campaign moduledb directory. All of those GMs who have experienced recent lockups like mentioned in this thread, please post a screenshot of your <FG app data>\campaign\<your campaign name>\moduledb directory for the campaign having issues (showing file details so that the file size can be seen). Get to <FG app data> by clicking the folder icon in the top left of the FG window before loading a campaign.
    Can't imagine that is the cause for my lock ups. At least I hope 319 KB isn't considered big by FG standards...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    Can't imagine that is the cause for my lock ups. At least I hope 319 KB isn't considered big by FG standards...

That's fine. The user who reported the issue was seeing a 100MB XML file.

To cover off all bases around this, how big is your campaign db.xml file?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    To cover off all bases around this, how big is your campaign db.xml file?
    db.xml in the campaign folder is ~9 MB.

I am hopeful that next session will be vastly improved as we identified a player with an old Updater that wasn't able to update it self and had him reinstall FGU entirely, which fixed his inability to connect to me through the server browser. In fact, I'm going to ask everyone to check the version of their Updater before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    db.xml in the campaign folder is ~9 MB.
    That's a little bit larger than average, but not massively so. What are the types of data stored in the db.xml file with a lot of records? Is it PC character sheets, NPCs, etc.?

The reason I'm asking about this is that FG auto saves the campaign and moduledb database every 5 minutes. If it has a lot of data to save this might cause the GM instance to become overloaded for a few second. I know 9MB doesn't sound like a lot, but it's basically a dump of what's in memory into a FG XML file - with many, many records this could have a processing hit as FG converts the data in memory into XML files with tens of thousands of lines.

I'm not saying this is the issue, but it's worth looking at and considering...

Its definitely not limited to those with larger .xml files. In both my campaigns, all the .xml files are 10s to hundreds of KB only, and it still happens.

I'll probably need a copy of the logs immediately when the issue happens for both the GM and player. Also, I'll need a copy of the campaign folder. See this post for more information on the data I need:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?59982

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information