5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Remove Skills from 5E Sheet via extension

I would like to modify the 5E ruleset character sheet to remove some of the skills from the sheet and then add new skills to the sheet, is there a way to remove skills from the 5E sheet?

Basically I want to:

Keep
    Acrobatics
    Athletics
    Deception
    Insight
    Intimidation
    Medicine
    Perception
    Persuasion
    Slight of Hand
    Stealth
    Survival

Add
    Espionage
    Infiltration
    Infotech
    Mechanics
    Pilot
    Tactics

Remove
    Animal Handling
    Arcana
    History
    Investigation
    Nature
    Performance
    Religion
    Last edited by esmdev; July 2nd, 2020 at 16:26.

See info in this thread, and the linked thread in post #3: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ve-core-skills
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    See info in this thread, and the linked thread in post #3: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ve-core-skills
    So do you have a link for if I want to change the notes page headers for Alignment and Deity to Nationality and Agency? I tried to simply overwrite the data as with the skills but it just puts both Alignment and Nationality on top of one another (same with the other) and that's not a pretty picture at all. :|

Blog Entries
    They are almost certainly just strings just search for those words and you will find the source and thus be able to work out how to override in your extension.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    They are almost certainly just strings just search for those words and you will find the source and thus be able to work out how to override in your extension.
    Sadly, I did that, and my best attempt ended up writing the word Nationality on top of Alignment with both words displayed at the same time. My reason for asking is I don't really know how to turn off the original text that I am trying to replace. I did watch your video on how to modify the 5E character sheet, which was great but it appends to the bottom of notes rather than changing the existing parts of the notes page.

Blog Entries
    A find in files reveals the word Alignment in several files. We are looking for a string so this is our likely candidate.
    \strings\strings_5e.xml
    A similar search for Deity reveals the same.

So, in your extension you only want to modify the absolute minimum so try something like this.

Include a new file containing.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!-- 
      Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for 
      attribution and copyright information.
    -->

<root>
    	<!-- Character - Notes -->
    	<string name="char_label_alignment" merge="replace">NATIONALITY</string>
    	<string name="char_label_deity">AGENCY</string>

<!-- NPCs -->
    	<string name="npc_label_alignment" merge="replace">Nationality</string>
    </root>

That is so much better (and many less lines) than what I came up with. I'm really a novice when it comes to XML and Lua.

So basically it's okay to replace names and use the existing elements to hold the data without recreating entirely new elements (which is what I did). That will make everything much easier.

Thanks to both, hopefully this will get me where I'm going.

One more (hopefully last question) is related to skills. I'm not planning to release specific data for the sheet (like a mod file) because of IP and licensing info. Is it acceptable form (etiquette wise) to release a sheet in an extension where the skills work except it generates an invalid reference error in chat if you click the info button on the skill? I've not released anything like a sheet before so I figured I'd check in advance.

I mostly made it for myself and my group but figured I'd share it. The game in question isn't formally released though there is a quick start and kick start backers have beta drafts of the game so I thought it might be helpful.

Blog Entries
    What I did was just replace the labels.
    Otherwise you need to remove the element in the charsheet code and add new elements in. That is more work.
    Neither is wrong, your approach (even though you didnt quite get there) is a more complete one but in my experience not necessary.
    You would have needed to merge="delete" the fields you were replacing and then add your fields in and then check any anchoring dependencies.

You can release character sheets always. The game mechanics cannot by copy protected in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What I did was just replace the labels.
    Otherwise you need to remove the element in the charsheet code and add new elements in. That is more work.
    Neither is wrong, your approach (even though you didnt quite get there) is a more complete one but in my experience not necessary.
    You would have needed to merge="delete" the fields you were replacing and then add your fields in and then check any anchoring dependencies.

You can release character sheets always. The game mechanics cannot by copy protected in the USA.
    I guess my question is wether the skill description is game mechanics or IP? Obviously class, background and that sort is IP, but not really sure about description of skills.

Blog Entries
    Post an example.
    You might also want to ping the creators and ask if a limited amount of data can be created and shared allowing people who own the book to play easier online.

Thread Information