STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Maps from Icespire Peak Campaign uncover an LOS bug??

I have a group that has been making their way through The Dragon of Icespire Peak adventure, and I noticed something with the latest build 07-16-2020 today.

When, as the DM, you open the player map, and LOS has been previously turned on, NONE of the features are displayed when you mouse over them. As a work-around, if you unlock the locked map, and either go into LOS editing mode, OR you disable and re-enable LOS, then re-lock the map, the features show up with mouse overs. If you close the map and re-open the map, the features "dis-appear" again.

Also, if you drop an NPC down on the map, or a PC, the LOS immediately starts to function. It doesn't really interfere with the game, nor the DM creating/fixing/tweaking maps, but it doesn't behave as expected, and is a bit of an inconvenience.

Very repeatable.

Rule-set:5E
    Adventure: Dragon of Icespire Peak
    Computer: Windows 10 (Core i7-6820HQ 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M1000M 2GB GDDR5)

What are you referring to when referring to "features"? (Doors? Terrain? Both? Something else?)

Thanks,
    JPG

I'm not seeing any of this.

So I started a new campaign, opened one of the Icespire maps and added a PC from the Combat tracker onto the map; with that PC selected the LoS works as expected (for both DM and Player) and I can mouse over any doors or terrain as expected. Same thing happens if I drop an NPC onto the map from the Combat Tracker. The LoS woks and I can see any doors, terrain etc when I mouse over them.

Are you perhaps using any extensions or themes which might be interfering? If not can you give us a step by step guide to reproduce the problem?

(As regards your second point when you drop a PC or NPC on the map the LoS does immediately function - that's the way it works.)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ah! Look at your first steps! You enabled LOS visibility on the map when you added the PC. My comment had to do with when the DM opens the map, and immediately mouses over the areas - NO LOS indication is there. As Moon Wizard pointed out, Terrain and Doors. (You don't really "see" walls.)

Try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuleen Donai View Post
    Also, if you drop an NPC down on the map, or a PC, the LOS immediately starts to function. It doesn't really interfere with the game, nor the DM creating/fixing/tweaking maps, but it doesn't behave as expected, and is a bit of an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    (As regards your second point when you drop a PC or NPC on the map the LoS does immediately function - that's the way it works.)
    I guess what I was expecting was this. When I open a map with LOS, say Terrain - trees masked off, or cliffs, etc, as a DM I would be able to immediately mouse over those areas and see them BEFORE adding PCs and NPCs to the map. For example, in a cave/cavern situation, I would like to check that the appropriate doors are all closed and potentially locked, BEFORE a PC wanders in and accidentally discovers something they weren't supposed to yet. Pretty standard fair for game prep.

You see, let's say I'm working with a map before a session. Without adding a PC or an NPC, I can't see any LOS features, UNLESS I first unlock the map and click on LOS editing (then, I have to re-lock it.) Personally, I think these features should be visible immediately after a DM opens a map, without needing to do the previous.

Am I all wet?
    Last edited by Tuleen Donai; July 19th, 2020 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    What are you referring to when referring to "features"? (Doors? Terrain? Both? Something else?)

Thanks,
    JPG

All those LOS features you listed. You see, it makes a DM doubt they are even there! (at least at first.)
    Last edited by Tuleen Donai; July 19th, 2020 at 15:03.

Ah! Look at your first steps! You enabled LOS visibility on the map when you added the PC. My comment had to do with when the DM opens the map, and immediately mouses over the areas - NO LOS indication is there. As Moon Wizard pointed out, Terrain and Doors. (You don't really "see" walls.)

Try that.

I guess what I was expecting was this. When I open a map with LOS, say Terrain - trees masked off, or cliffs, etc, as a DM I would be able to immediately mouse over those areas and see them BEFORE adding PCs and NPCs to the map.
    You need a token on the map and it be selected for the LoS features to work. Without a token nothing happens. I think that's the way it's supposed to work.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If that's true - then OK. It just didn't work as I intuited. Just part of the learning curve then.

There is A LOT to Fantasy Grounds!! Every time I get into it, I start to understand things better! Unfortunately, my players have to suffer with my ignorance until I'm fully up to speed.

BTW, I would HIGHLY recommend anyone new to Fantasy Grounds to get this Adventure (Dragon of Icespire Peak.) It seems to do very good job of bringing out several features and the appropriate way to use the tool in a campaign - i.e. Story, Maps (LOS,) Encounters, etc. I'm VERY glad I bought it!

Additional: Professor Zacchaeus (guys, if we didn't have Dr. Z, I would be SO lost in FGU still!) just pointed out to me (in another post) that I hadn't read the Reference Manual for Icespire Peak adventure. Frankly, I didn't even know it was there! So, if there any new comers to FGU, who also don't tend to read manuals much, ... out there - take a lesson and read the one that comes with your FG Adventure!
    Last edited by Tuleen Donai; July 20th, 2020 at 15:42.

Blog Entries
    All those LOS features you listed. You see, it makes a DM doubt they are even there! (at least at first.)
    With LOS enabled you should be able to mouse-over terrain and doors to view/set their open/locked states—even without any tokens on the map. If LOS is disabled, you should not be able to see those areas.

If you are open to it, please join our FGC community, we will help you learn and advance your skills as a GM and a developer if you should ever want to start creating your own custom content.
    Another tertiary benefit is the ability to bounce ideas off others and hand pick semi- 'trained' players as opposed to random ones. We also offer secondary classes like map-making, roleplay, and things that are designed to enhance the VTT experience, such as Discord familiarity and other troubleshooting...

Founder Laerun
    https://discordapp.com/invite/Ew6nYyw
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    With LOS enabled you should be able to mouse-over terrain and doors to view/set their open/locked states—even without any tokens on the map. If LOS is disabled, you should not be able to see those areas.
    Well ... that isn't the way it's working and it's very repeatable. Even Zaccheus acknowledges this. Upon opening the map, LOS is on, no tokens, you don't see any features.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You need a token on the map and it be selected for the LoS features to work. Without a token nothing happens. I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

Thread Information