5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: ARM MacOS

ARM MacOS

With the transition of Macs going to ARM-based CPUs coming soon, has this been looked at for FGU? Relying on being able to run under Rosetta 2, or building a Universal 2 binary? Dependant on Unity releasing something for ARM?

Until Mac actually releases hardware to build on, and Unity supports that hardware; there's not much we can really do to prepare. I assume once those two are in place that we can just rebuild on that platform; and make any minor adjustments from current Mac build.

Regards,
    JPG

Turns out, Apple does have the hardware available (See: Universal App Quick Start Program) But, if it's mostly about when Unity is available, that's all the answer I need. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Until Mac actually releases hardware to build on, and Unity supports that hardware; there's not much we can really do to prepare. I assume once those two are in place that we can just rebuild on that platform; and make any minor adjustments from current Mac build.

Regards,
    JPG
    Windows also has an ARM edition that is already available.

Apple's stack is already cross-compiling into ARM for the iDevices, and unity already builds for those devices also for mobile games.

I don't see it taking long for Unity to support ARM on Mac - but it will take them a little time to get it all working for developers to start targetting that arch.

The good thing is that Mac app bundles already support having multiple arch binaries in the .app, so SW would just ship a single app bundle, and it'd run on an ARM mac or an X86_64 mac.

Quote Originally Posted by matjam View Post
    Apple's stack is already cross-compiling into ARM for the iDevices, and unity already builds for those devices also for mobile games.

I don't see it taking long for Unity to support ARM on Mac - but it will take them a little time to get it all working for developers to start targetting that arch.

The good thing is that Mac app bundles already support having multiple arch binaries in the .app, so SW would just ship a single app bundle, and it'd run on an ARM mac or an X86_64 mac.
    Sooner than you might think.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/06/22...apple-silicon/

I suspect that end users actually getting ARM based Macs and SmiteWorks being able to test it on that hardware is going to be the longest wait.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoyoteKid View Post
    Sooner than you might think.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/06/22...apple-silicon/

I suspect that end users actually getting ARM based Macs and SmiteWorks being able to test it on that hardware is going to be the longest wait.
    Yeah; also note there was some caveats attached to the support for Apple Silicon. We'll see.

Thread Information