STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Player Notes

Player Notes

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this or if it has been answered before but I'm not quite finding the exact question I need answered.

I'm running my first game on Fantasy Grounds after switching from Roll20 and every time one of my players makes a note for themselves using the notes tab, it pops up in my notes, cluttering my note section with stuff that is for their own use. How can I stop player created notes from being in my view?

Blog Entries
    Welcome

GMs should not (normally) be using the Notes section. You should be using Stories, which you can add to groups for organization. Notes are for players

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you,

Yeah, I really just use it like a sticky note for small information, I had no idea it was meant primarily for players. I assumed it was something meant for everyone since I have the ability to hide and share notes that I create.

I'm guessing that means there isn't a way for me to not see those notes past just not opening the tab then lol.

Good Day Benvredenburg
    You can put something like a 01 in front of your notes so they stay at the top since they are sorted alphabetically if I remember right.

Blog Entries
    You can certainly use them, but no, there is no way to filter or group notes. That's why stories are so much more functional

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

In standard FG, without extensions, a note is pretty much the only thing a player can add that isn't directly connected to their character. that's why they're there. It allows the players to make notes and make them public if they choose.

As other have pointed out, as the GM you have better tools at your disposal, the players don't.

I'm also using notes. Not hugely. Im interested to hear though...why is story better?
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Quote Originally Posted by Rylan Storm View Post
    I'm also using notes. Not hugely. Im interested to hear though...why is story better?
    Good Day Rylan Storm
    Stories can be categorized for ease of locating and disseminating the information (As was mentioned in the OP the DM notes can get lost in the deluge of player notes).

If you're using a Calendar extension, I find that a lot of my notes can easily fit in the dates there as an organizational tool. That way I have: Stories for future events; Calendar for previously done events; and the Notes section for my players.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Blog Entries
    Notes also can not be exported to a module. So if you use a development campaign to your material, or if you use modules to archive your old campaign information, you won't be able to export notes into a module.

Thread Information