DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 8 of 38 First ... 67891018 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I can barely wait for TEST to drop. I've just made a new version of Equipped effects but it's under TEST so I'll have to wait to deliver it after TEST drops. Still I'll give a hint:

This new feature is guarded to only come into play in 5E (as spell is not thing in other rulesets).

But if you use 5E like me...

Not all items can be defined by a custom effect. In fact, I got really annoyed that I had to create a power for my ring of animal influence and ring of the ram that I was putting into a campaign. Not to mention a healing potion. Now standard procedure is to make the power and copy it in the Spell area so that it can be reused in the campaign later. But I was annoyed. It was making me have to do stuff as a DM and that impinged on my feelings of entitlement to be lazy.

So...

I made import/export buttons for saving custom spells (in DB under spell) to an XML file. This way I never had to remake one of these suckers ever again. The down side is they always will be put into unassigned in import - that's just the way DB.import works - but I can live with that. So now my powers are able to be dragged into any future campaign just by picking the .xml I stored them in. Lazy point 1 solved.

I still did not like the effort involved in tracking these things. So as this already adds matching inventory items that equip/unequip for custom effects adding into CT - I decided that I wanted these spell/powers to be automatically added and removed from my PCs (cant' do it in NPCs unfortunately). So I added it in right after it does the matching custom effect. Potion of healing - item dropped in inventory - equipped - matching custom spell/power found in DB - POOF power is under Equipped Items power category in actions tab of my PC! Unequipped and its GONE! I don't have to do anything - pay attention to anything - lazy point 2 solved.

That's it. It doesn't sound like much does it? But oh... it helps me hugely. And if I have a special item that needs both a custom effect and a spell/power to define it completely? HA! DONE!

Now if you create your spell/power under something other than that Equipped Items category - the DB remembers and will create that blank name in addition to putting it under new Equipped Items category. Just delete the original spell/power and save the new one from that category and old blank one will no longer be created. It's a DB thing.

It also has an option to turn this new feature off in options in case you have some kind of crazy custom spell/power names that match item names or something. Of course, its defaulted to ON though

If TEST drops on Feb 16 then that is when this new version will appear. Just FYI
    Hey, I got this to work just today , really cool thanks , I'm thinking about doing the same for Spell Scrolls :P and adventuring gear, though there are scrolls for each spell which would mean a lot of work :sweat:, anyhow thanks again for making small improvements on things you've spotted and find annoying !!
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; March 27th, 2021 at 14:40.

For reasons of my own I was only prepared to update DMsG and Page 1 of this thread for the last few version updates - but now... I am ready to trigger the notification of them (thread won't notify changed if I change a previous page like updating page 1 - and only watchers of DMsG would know to update without that notification). So... consider yourselves notified

V 1.8 - Feature - will now go after all "effects" not just in DB but in modules also. Will also go after "spell" first then "reference.spells" in modules looking for a match. The option to turn off spell searching has now been changed to turn off reference.spells searching in case you have a large number of read only modules and spells (it will search the whole thing every time you change equip status so if slowed you can turn this off). By default this will be off - requiring you to copy any module spells you wish to match so they are in your local DB "spell" node. If you turn it on it will search the DB first then look through all modules for a match.

V 1.9 - Feature - added new option to search for template item names as a possible effects/power(spell) name match. It will search through name of item and if no match found for effects/power(spell) will then search through the item's list of spells which is where template names are stored with an undefined link. Any undefined link in that list will be used as a name search till a match is found for effects/power(spell). This option is defaulted to off.

V 1.10 - Feature - will now respect item ID and item attunement (finding "Required Attunement" text in rarity DB value) if present. If IDed will work as usual showing matching effect in CT and matching spell/power in actions [actions tab(PC)]. If not IDed and not requiring attunement then effect in CT will be gmonly visible and no spell/power will appear in the actions. If not IDed and requiring attunement then nothing will be shown in CT or actions. If ID of item changes and the item was equipped then it will be unequipped and equipped to update the new ID rules above.

V 1.11 - Changed defaults for V 1.8 & 1.9 options to be "on: by default. This way if you have .mod tailored to work with equipped effects it will be ready to go immediately. And if you don't want it to look up things in .mod file it can be turned off. Still will always look in local DB before it goes to look up match in .mod file no matter what options are set too.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 31st, 2021 at 00:38.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

V 1.12 - Added option to ignore ID considerations of V1.10 so that when ON it will require DM to change the effect GMOnly flag in combat tracker manually - and will initially be whatever custom effect has it defined as. This will be turned OFF by default.

For people who use equipped effects and are dead lazy like me - don't like to define custom effects and spell/powers for your items and want them all to play nice in the new lighting environment - this new .mod file(s) will allow you to simply load the module data and forget about it. Drop item in inventory - equip or unequip it - and based on ID rules in this extension will have the CT effect and/or spell/power applied to your PC(actions tab). You never need worry about doing anything. There will always be weird hard to define rules and things in the world of "D&D 5E books" but this takes all the hard tedious work out of it for me. Links to get it and track it are in here...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...omatic-Effects
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 31st, 2021 at 00:38.

I'd also like to give a shoutout about a free alternative to my equipped effects - it does not do the same exact things but MeAndUnique is definitely adding interesting things into it. So if you don't like paid I fully recommend his Kit-N-Kaboodle

V 1.13 - Feature - If you have Map Parcels then an NPC will have inventory. This will now call the Map Pacels code (if present) when equipping or unequipping NPC inventory. It will simply do the same thing Map Parcels does adding the item into the Main Page actions and removing it just as if you had dropped the item in when using map parcels. The only difference is that it will be added when you equip the item and removed when you unequip the item. It has always supported the custom effects adding into combat tracker if there is an NPC inventory and its equipped or removed on unequipped - and still CANNOT support spell powers as that is uniquely PC data structure. But it can support the base item text for items and what that gives an NPC in terms of clicking fields and combat tracker attack lines added in and removed as the item is equipped or unequipped. This is mostly for me. As I'm pretty sure not many people bother equipping or unequipping NPC inventory I'm not bothering to add an option for this - it will just start happening as I want it for me.

Reminder: If you unequip armor and do not equip any replacment armor you will have to manually edit the NPC armor field to be whatever it will now be. I have no way of knowing what it should be turned into once unequipped. Obviously if you screw up and equip things that are not really relevant - that's on you. Dragon with leather armor - dumb - and will be way less of an armor class but not going to stop you from doing things like that
    Last edited by SilentRuin; April 2nd, 2021 at 07:46.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I'd also like to give a shoutout about a free alternative to my equipped effects - it does not do the same exact things but MeAndUnique is definitely adding interesting things into it. So if you don't like paid I fully recommend his Kit-N-Kaboodle
    Good and fair thing to bring this up!

Are you guys planning on adding the possibility to pre-define charges to eg. scrolls aswell?
    Last edited by SirMotte; April 2nd, 2021 at 14:34.

I support ORC(L) and #opendnd!

Check out my Extensions and Materials for FGU!
    Dark Theme: Sir Motte's Magnificent Darkness - Hearth Edition.
    Custom GM Icon: Sir Motte's GM Icon Replacer.
    Midjourney Art: AI generated images for my campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMotte View Post
    Good and fair thing to bring this up!

Are you guys planning on adding the possibility to pre-define charges to eg. scrolls aswell?
    Not a Data guy. But I'm trying to resolve why his charges are not currently working in his .mod file in another thread. Something is different. Right now I have to copy the power to get charges to show up (not straight out of .mod file - which is not yet delivered but will be soon).

Note: with new ability to equip(add)/unequip(remove) NPC items in main page actions via Map Parcel code you should simply NOT USE the NPC inventory to equip/unequip anything if you don't want the NPC's features/abilities to change. I like being able to drop items into NPC - like vial of acid or something - and immediately have it available for use in combat tracker attack line. But others may not like NPC standard abilities for a weapon or something changed from their default - which this will surely do if the name matches. Me - I do. Not everyone's cup of tea though so just don't mess with NPC inventory equip/unequip and you'll be fine - otherwise - use your common sense

Also the black highlight around whatever is equipped can be removed by simply unlocking and relocking the sheet if it bothers you. Not planning on looking into this as I suspect its a harmless artifact of me allowing things to change outside of locked state (locked state always throws up that black outline border around the action).

I love the idea of an NPC having the same weapon as it's mini when I get back to the table (I've been using FG for running my face to face games even before I started running them online!) and being able to tweak an NPC's loadout to add flavour/balance to an encounter as I'm running it.

Cheers,

Simon

Thread Information