FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: High Crit

Next question:

I was thinking I could add "breath" to a damage type but it also needs "cold" in this dragon example.

If I add "breath" damage type and "cold" damage type, both damage types need to be resisted to not take damage so not saving any work. Is there anyway of this working with out having to change the resistance each time for different dragon breath weapons? Could get confusing if the player is facing Tiamat and a few spell casters throwing fire, cold, and lightning spells while getting bit by poisonous snakes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    Next question:

I was thinking I could add "breath" to a damage type but it also needs "cold" in this dragon example.

If I add "breath" damage type and "cold" damage type, both damage types need to be resisted to not take damage so not saving any work. Is there anyway of this working with out having to change the resistance each time for different dragon breath weapons? Could get confusing if the player is facing Tiamat and a few spell casters throwing fire, cold, and lightning spells while getting bit by poisonous snakes :-)
    Yes, several ways actually, but sadly none that I can think of that are less work than just giving him back 10 HP after he was hit (or 5 HP back if he was missed) That's a quick thing to do as GM in the fight.

The other ways would be to

a) Make the dragonbreath just one unique dmg type like coldbreath. Have other breath types as well like poisonbreath, firebreath, acidbreath, lightningbreath etc.
    Then give your dragon slayer all those resistances.
    Then give all creatures with immunity, resistance or vulnerability to cold, also the same vs coldbreath. Same with immunity, vulnerability and resistance to fire, give them the same vs firebreath. Same with the other dmg types. That would work, but it's too much of a hassle, I think, compared to just giving him back some HP that he lost and shouldn't have.

b) Put an effect (on the combat tracker) on the dragon slayer that says
    IFT: CUSTOM(breathingdragon); RESIST: 10
    ...and let it sit there forever.

Make a button on the Conditions that says
    breathingdragon
    Put that on your dragon whenever it uses its breath weapon, and take it off afterwards.
    (Still more work than just giving back HP, I think)

Bottom line: FG is an awesome tool, but you can't get everything to be automated, 4e is just based on exceptions.
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

Agreed

Its good to know the limitations.

I'll make an effect button on the dragon slayer PC that gives RESIST:10 (all breath damage types) [END]. Then its on the PC to push it when I say a dragon is going to breath in his general direction. Would give a resist to those damage types if the PC is attacked that same turn by another creature but doubt that would ever happen.

Thanks for all the info!

Dragons have action points, and their bite attacks often deal the same damage type, so it could happen more often than anticipated, but I guess it's a good way of handling it, you can always just remove the resistance right after the breath attack happened.

Again, glad I could be of help and have fun!

Llyle
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

Adding "roll" to the effect removes it after the breath attack roll. Just tested it and it works.

In that case, I 'd probably just have it with RESIST: 10. The different dmg types won't make a difference, also there are dragon breath types of almost any dmg type, Purple dragons have psychic, Adamant have radiant etc, so resist 10 all would actually be more accurate.
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

You are correct. That makes it much easier!

Thread Information