DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Proficieny w/o Level (Gamemastery Guide)

Hiyas,

So, I made a copy of my PF2 ruleset, unzipped it, opened it up and made some changes to get rid of level to proficiency (as per the Gamemastery Guide variant rules) but I either cannot get FGU to recognize the ruleset (when in a .pak) or can't get it to load any PF2 modules (when just an open folder in the ruleset folder).

Any tips on how I am doing this wrong?

Thanks!

What have you called your directory that you've put the ruleset in? That will be the name of the ruleset. If it's not PFRPG2 then that will make it a completely new ruleset and you won't be able to open any modules tagged for PFRPG2. You can use the Universal Modules extension to work around this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dule-Extension

You're best approach is to make an extension that overrides just the code in the normal ruleset. Otherwise you're going to have to update your custom ruleset every time there's a new version (about every 2-3 weeks).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Heyya, thanks for the quick response!

So, I tried a couple things. One was to remove the PFRPG2.pak from the ruleset folder totally and rename my set that, but it wouldn't show up under the rulesets in Unity when I tried to create a campaign. Said behavior I totally do not understand. How does it know things were modified? Does it do a checksum or something?

The other thing I did was to name my ruleset differently then create a folder in the ruleset folder with that new name, where it will show up as a ruleset, but then not load any modules. I see from your reply why this is, thank you for that!

Another thing I did was make a .pak file from my modified PSRPG2 files with its own name and that also would not show as a ruleset when I load Unity. Again, I don't understand why.

So an extension can override core functionality? Or would that be a full on module? I guess I am having a little trouble understanding the difference between a module and an extension.

I will check out that override thing at least initially until I can get a better grasp on subtle changes vs a straight-on brute force override ;-)

Thanks again!

Modules contain data, extensions contain code that modifies an underlying ruleset.

Try the attached extension - this overrides the standard GameSystem.getProfBonus function, removing the PC level from the calculation.

The attached extension is for FG Classic only. For FG Unity use the extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post643445
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 11th, 2022 at 00:46.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So I think I may have been updating when it told me too, which would have overwritten my changes? That may be some of the trouble I was having, but I still don't understand why it would not recognize my renamed .pak as a ruleset.

The override .ext thing works great with the PF2 house rules ruleset (an open folder in the ruleset folder). Now I will go study how to make an .ext and your example file should be of great help with that. I thank you for your time!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyOwl View Post
    ...but I still don't understand why it would not recognize my renamed .pak as a ruleset.
    I'm guessing it wasn't packaged properly (you need to ZIP the files from within the ruleset directory), or a different compression other than ZIP was used.

Oh, so it has to be zipped from inside the ruleset folder? I had made a different folder I called testing so as not to overwrite or accidentally destroy stuff and did the zipping with 7zip from there.

Good to know!

You don't need to ZIP within the FG \rulesets directory. You need to ZIP the ruleset .pak file from within whichever directory you unzipped it to - where the base.xml file and all the other files are. Look in the ZIP file, if you see base.xml (and the rest of the ruleset structure) at the root of the ZIP file, then it's OK. If you just see a single directory in the root of the ZIP file then you've ZIPed from outside of the directory.

Open any ruleset .pak file to see how it's setup.

100% the issue. Single folder! Thanks!

Thanks a lot for this extension !!!
    Really good

Thread Information