FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

USA, India, and other locales around the world

Issues with IPv4

This may seem silly, but my ISP does not handle IPv6 -- only IPv4. IN trying to do a workaround today, I guess this was the first I realized that FGU Cloud does not work with an IPv4 connection to host a game, only IPv6. (This may make sense to those more savvy, but it makes it somewhat silly for anyone with my same situation to purchase FGU if that's the case.) Is there a way that IPv4 would connect, and thus allow FGU to be played through the Cloud on an IPv4? If so, I'm all ears!
    Zwergenmauer

Ultimate License Holder
    Pathfinder 1e, 2e
    D&D 5E
    GURPS

I've moved this to a new thread, because it really didn't have anything to do with the original thread it was posted in (issues with localhost connections on the same computer). Please only post in existing threads if your issue is *exactly* the same, otherwise it may mean you don't get fast/accurate support and it also sidetracks other people's issues. It's completely OK to create a new thread, so please do so if there isn't a current thread that *exactly* matches your issue.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My ISP only has IPv4 and I don't have any issues hosting a game on the cloud. I did used to have issues connecting if I had too many modules loaded up so I normally unload all or most of my modules at the end of every session and then after I start a new session and players have connected I might load an extra module. Normally I find I can get away withe the PHB and adventure modules loaded without problems.

Blog Entries
    Can you please include the logs requested/detailed in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...hat-To-Provide

Then please let us know the steps and options you are taking. As well as please include system information and if this issue repeats in a new campaign with the latest build of FGU.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    FGU works with IPv4 and IPv6.
    Can you post some more details of what is happening?
    Sure. The cloud server does not populate my game solely for IPv4 (IPv6 shows ::1). Therefore, when people try to locate my cloud-based game, they cannot because it has not populated for the cloud (for whatever reason). It doesn't seem to matter whether the game is private or public -- something I considered. Under similar conditions, FGC connects well and works fanTAStically, which has made me wonder what the hosting issue might be with FGU. This all despite being connected to the cloud server and having the latest updates. Port forwarding is go for FGC, so ought to be go for FGU as well.

I appreciated the suggestion from @greytiger10, but even after unloading all of the modules there was no change in cloud status. But even if it had, neither I nor @greytiger10 should have to go to that extreme after each game (I certainly do not need to do that in FGC).

I attempted LAN connection with IPv4 address (internal), which worked. But connecting IPv4 (external) did not, even with firewall down and exceptions in place.
    Last edited by Zwergenmauer; June 25th, 2020 at 05:27. Reason: minor edit
    Zwergenmauer

Ultimate License Holder
    Pathfinder 1e, 2e
    D&D 5E
    GURPS

Quote Originally Posted by Zwergenmauer View Post
    Port forwarding is go for FGC, so ought to be go for FGU as well.

Just FYI, FGC uses TCP and FGU uses UDP, same port for both (1802). Most home routers require you to specify TCP or UDP when setting up the port forwarding.

So, if Port forwarding works for FGC but not FGU, check your router and make sure you have UDP specified as well for the rule (or create a separate rule for UDP if that is how your router is setup).

Blog Entries
    Note, FGC uses TCP protocol on port 1802, FGU uses UDP protocols. So your port forwarding might need to be updated to include both protocols if you want to run LAN games with FGU.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sincerest thanks for your help here in troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to get the game to populate on the cloud server.

I have updated my router settings for use with UDP and TCP, same port 1802. Again, I am able to run FGC just fine, it's FGU that still doesn't populate my game on the server, despite the program telling me I am connected to the game server. The only difference I can see is that there is no IPv6 address, only an IPv4 address for my router/modem. In other words, if the default or go-to for FGU is looking for an IPv6 address to populate the games, then my games won't ever populate (as I am only able to use an IPv4 address). If that is *not* the case, I'll need some help working out the kinks so that my games can populate on the server. Any insights or other suggestions? I'm all ears!

Perhaps there is another step that needs to be taken, that I'm somehow missing?
    Zwergenmauer

Ultimate License Holder
    Pathfinder 1e, 2e
    D&D 5E
    GURPS

Can you post your network logs.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information