Starfinder Playlist

Updater won't save custom install path.

The FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, won't save custom install path.

If I want to run an update I have to enter the settings each time to change the path to the correct one before I run the update. Otherwise the update will revert to installing in a default location of "C:\Fantasy Grounds".
    This custom path, even if valid, will not be saved between sessions and I have to do the same thing each time.

ps. Also I'm no longer able to keep my data folder (containing modules, extensions etc.) as a sub-folder of the FG install folder due to some recent changes to the installer.
    I think it's fine for there to be a warning if needed, but not a fan of not having control of how I choose to organize my HDD's content.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrmir View Post
    The FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, won't save custom install path.

If I want to run an update I have to enter the settings each time to change the path to the correct one before I run the update. Otherwise the update will revert to installing in a default location of "C:\Fantasy Grounds".
    This custom path, even if valid, will not be saved between sessions and I have to do the same thing each time.

ps. Also I'm no longer able to keep my data folder (containing modules, extensions etc.) as a sub-folder of the FG install folder due to some recent changes to the installer.
    I think it's fine for there to be a warning if needed, but not a fan of not having control of how I choose to organize my HDD's content.

Hey there,

Sorry you're having trouble.
    It sounds like you're possibly having some trouble with permissions on the settings files. Depending on how long you've been running FGU, there might have been some changes since you originally installed.
    My recommendation would be to follow these steps:
    1: If you are running the latest version, there should be a troubleshooting tab in settings. Open that tab.
    2: Choose 'Clear Settings', and close the program immediately. This will reset your settings files.
    3: Install from the latest installer: https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibra...WebInstall.exe

On the installer page, you should be able to select your new install location.
    If this does not work, please try changing your application folder in settings, and after trying to save the settings, go back to the troubleshooting tab and select "Gather Logs". This will compile all the relevant logs into a zip file. If you then email that to me at [email protected], I can take a closer look.

Due to the way updates and uninstalls currently work, we added the sub-folder restriction so users don't accidentally have any data lost.
    When we upgrade the uninstall process (On the list fairly soon), we may be able to ease this restriction.

Thank you redeyesofnight,

Taking those steps appears to have fixed it, I appreciate it.

ps. I had a feeling the sub-folder restrictions might be related to something like that, as I've kept an eye on the things cropping up in these sub-forums.
    Been helpful during the running of games as well to be aware of any temporary issues and what to expect. There's been more than once that I've been able to tell my players when something goes wrong: "That's ok, it's a known bug and it's actually being worked on right now! Do this instead for now.". Only to have it working a week or two later.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Styrmir View Post
    Thank you redeyesofnight,

Taking those steps appears to have fixed it, I appreciate it.

ps. I had a feeling the sub-folder restrictions might be related to something like that, as I've kept an eye on the things cropping up in these sub-forums.
    Been helpful during the running of games as well to be aware of any temporary issues and what to expect. There's been more than once that I've been able to tell my players when something goes wrong: "That's ok, it's a known bug and it's actually being worked on right now! Do this instead for now.". Only to have it working a week or two later.
    We're approaching the point where much of this (especially the updater) will be fairly stable and we won't have to make too many updates. Most of the issues on my end so far have been largely due to weird glitches when upgrading particularly old updater builds. Glad things are working!

Thread Information