STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    It seems to me that having the DM share tokens isn't really necessary. Simply letting the player maintain a library of his own tokens and accessing those tokens like he can already access the portraits would be just fine. For example, I almost always use custom tokens, and when I'm a player I have to send a token to the DM, usually remind the DM how to add it to her assets, and then get her to apply the token to my character. Not a big deal once, or even once in a while, but it simply isn't practical for her to switch tokens for me when my paladin mounts on his warhorse or something similar.

If I could apply and switch tokens for my own character, it would make it practical to use a token that reflected one of several statuses for a given character, which is a very convenient visual cue reminding everyone of who's mounted, or even whether a character has a melee weapon equipped.

I imagined that introducing the perspective view and full-body tokens in addition to the top-down would have been a great time to implement this fix which, as this thread demonstrates, we've been asking for lo, these many years.
    As of now, the full body images are edited and setup outside of the platform. As far as localized tokens I agree. The only other thing I can image is that some users may use large images beyond the recommended dimensions and formatting, which can effect performance. However, this can also be a thing on the host's side too. I had players try to use an image that was over 1000x800 and not "square", etc. But, to each their own. It's just not as clear or as obvious initially without a trip to the FG Atlassian guide, or learning the hard way. But a localized collection might be better.
    Last edited by Laerun; March 21st, 2024 at 22:59. Reason: Clarity
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Is it practical to automatically rescale non-conforming images? I honestly have no idea what it would entail on the coding side, but having a campaign option to limit player-provided image size to 200x200, 500x500, or no limit (or whatever numbers make sense) might also be a way to avoid the problem of performance hits.

Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    Is it practical to automatically rescale non-conforming images? I honestly have no idea what it would entail on the coding side, but having a campaign option to limit player-provided image size to 200x200, 500x500, or no limit (or whatever numbers make sense) might also be a way to avoid the problem of performance hits.
    I don't think there is a way to limit or block a given file size from within Fantasy Grounds, especially when most images are sourced outside of Fantasy Grounds. The de facto number for Portraits was around 100. I used 256x256 so that outside of FG the thumbnails were still large enough to see. Fantasy Grounds does try to scale the portrait and token images to be visible within the Fantasy Grounds VTT platform, but the memory is still held in RAM, unless one physically resizes the initial image size. The other issue is too many images to select from. The thumbnail previews often have to index and rebuild upon opening a given subfolder with Fantasy Grounds, depending on how that function has been setup and written. Limiting a file size or dimensions is likely not achievable through programming logic within Fantasy Grounds. Generally features are turned on or off with no in between.
    Last edited by Laerun; March 21st, 2024 at 22:56. Reason: Typos
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information