5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread: Unicode Support

We are in October and Mac users have the same problem yet. As Spanish Gm I need put unicode characters in words as corazón, así, sí...

Quote Originally Posted by ShakaSensei View Post
    We are in October and Mac users have the same problem yet. As Spanish Gm I need put unicode characters in words as corazón, así, sí...
    My experience as an FG user tells me that English-speaking customers are more important to SmiteWorks than those who speak another language. It's understandable but painful...
    Nébula Rol

So you dare to cross the Veil… Oh, adventurer! Do you think there won’t be consequences, perhaps?

Sakrynia: The Land of Tears

Quote Originally Posted by g0ntzal View Post
    My experience as an FG user tells me that English-speaking customers are more important to SmiteWorks than those who speak another language. It's understandable but painful...
    Very painful 😓

Whenever I'm preparing a game using FGU on my iMac, I press Command + Spacebar in order to write correctly in Spanish. Then I select the text and I paste it on the FGU Story or whatever. It makes the trick but I hate to work so...
    Nébula Rol

So you dare to cross the Veil… Oh, adventurer! Do you think there won’t be consequences, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by g0ntzal View Post
    That's pretty harsh. Smitewoks isn't a multi-million dollar company with a staff of a couple of hundred. It's a small company with finite resources and it must focus on more general things than benefit every user rather than divert resources to (possibly) solve a problem that a tiny number of users are experiencing. Whilst I'm sure that the majority of users are English speaking it's completely unfair to say that they are more important than any other language speaking users.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

First of all, no offense intended, Zacchaeus.

I wrote "(...) it's understandable (...)" because of I can understand what kind of business is SmiteWorks (small company focused on D&D with a majority of English-speaking customers). That's the reality. As a non-English speaking CUSTOMER I know that my needs won't be addressed by SmiteWorks in the same way like those of English-speaking customers. And that, from a personal perspective, is certainly painful.
    Nébula Rol

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    That's pretty harsh. Smitewoks isn't a multi-million dollar company with a staff of a couple of hundred. It's a small company with finite resources and it must focus on more general things than benefit every user rather than divert resources to (possibly) solve a problem that a tiny number of users are experiencing. Whilst I'm sure that the majority of users are English speaking it's completely unfair to say that they are more important than any other language speaking users.
    200 workers and nobody can’t fix this problem? It’s just unicode letters man!In spanish language, is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakaSensei View Post
    200 workers and nobody can’t fix this problem? It’s just unicode letters man!In spanish language, is very important.
    I said it isn't a company with a staff of 200. I imagine if this was something that was easy to do, and the resources to do it were available, it would be done.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Unfortunately, it's not something we can address directly ourselves.

We use the Unity 3D engine to provide cross-platform support for FGU to run on multiple platforms. I did actually look into this about 3 months ago, and found that this is a Mac-specific issue and that the Unity engine does not pass the correct characters to our application. Since I do not have a native keyboard for every language, I used the on-screen keyboards for both Mac and Windows. It works fine on Windows, though the on-screen keyboard does not seem to work on Mac (and I'm not sure if native keyboards exhibit same issue but assume it does). We even updated to the latest LTS version of Unity engine over the summer hoping to capture any fixes for Linux and Mac support that had been added by Unity. The Unity game engine provides all information on keyboard/mouse input, so we can only use what we're given there.

To be clear, our development team is currently 4 people (1.5 client, 1.5 ruleset, 1 server); so we are definitely constrained in what we can accomplish across the vast variety of configurations in the world, which is why we are using the Unity engine to provide cross-platform support.

If you have a Windows machine, it appears to work without issues on that platform.

Regards,
    JPG

I am having a similar, but different issue, as per my conversation with Zacchaeus on Discord earlier today; I was directed to this thread to see if there were any answers to be found here. I will, for simplicity quote the original message:

I have a question about font and character support. The text in the image on the left is Roboto Medium in LibreOffice Writer and the text to the right is a screenshot showing the same text using the builder and the extension ‘Roboto (Revised) Font Extension’ v. 1.0.

I use a lot of typographically sound typesetting (if you will) when I enter text. For example, as evidenced above, I always set proper fractions (if the font supports it), and I use both no-break space (U+a0) and narrow no-break space (U+202f) when needed. One place where using U+202f is very useful, is when setting fractions: If there is no access to setting specific character styles (as with HTML/CSS or a word processor), then when using the fraction slash (fraction slash at U+2044, not the solidus at U+2f), a space is needed between the whole number and the numerator, otherwise the numerator will be superscripted as well; therefore U+202f (or U+feff: zero width no-break space) should be used, so as to not split the number shown.

As can be seen above, the font Roboto should support proper fractions (though I will be the first to admit it doesn’t look very nice in that font), and of course the various spaces are supported as well, as evidenced by the second screenshot (U+feff is problematic, though). Why then is it, that when I add characters like U+202f (which I have to copy-paste) and fraction slashes (likewise), they are not rendered correctly?

P. S.: I recommend opening the images to see them properly.

Bilde_2023-09-25_172144614.png
    Image showing the same text displayed in my word processor and in FGU.

Bilde_2023-09-25_172204984.png
    Image listing all the different spaces, their code points, and their rendering.

Using the default font causes the same issue:

Using the standard font yields the same problems (see screenshot). Further, it proved problematic to use it across different rendering sizes (I use 1440p, some players 1080p and one player 4k).
    Here is the screenshot.

Bilde_2023-09-25_172318369.png

The vertical line in front of the fraction is my cursor.

Given that the rendering doesn’t work as it should regardless of font choice (I have also tested with Noto in LibreOffice Writer; it works fine), I suspect this is an underlying issue. This is suggested not only be the above things, but also by things such as hard space (Alt+255) being replaced by a soft space.

Thread Information