STAR TREK 2d20
Page 24 of 28 First ... 142223242526 ... Last

Thread: PFRPG Spellbook

Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post
    I love this extension, but you are making it very hard for me to stick with my 'no extensions needed' policy for the Spellbook

I'm starting to work on the version that requires Kel's extensions. I will absolutely add this extension to that version also.

Thanks bmos.
    hehe
    yeah. it would be nice if that could make it into the ruleset (since it's such a minor change).

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    hehe
    yeah. it would be nice if that could make it into the ruleset (since it's such a minor change).
    Absolutely agree. I thought it would be a difficult change so figured it wasn't worth the effort ... but you proved me wrong in that I would love to see this added to the ruleset. It would be very helpful.

I have completed the first pass of adding Lighting and Vision effects to the Spellbook (See below for exactly which spells have modified). I haven't tested these as I am not on the test server. Plus I assume that their might be more changes before Lighting and Vision is finalized and released.

Applying Lighting Effects
    So we have always had the issue of how do you apply an effect to a point on the map that doesn't have a token. Or to a movable object that doesn't have a token.
    Up until know I have pretty much ignored this in regards to the Spellbook. But with the lighting effects we have many more spells that are either a movable item, such as Dancing Lights, or are a static item that can be cast at a point on the map, such as Daylight.
    I'm looking for input on how you have handled this types of effects. Or how you think we should handle these effects moving forward.

Examples
    Fog Cloud takes up a 20 ft radius area and 'The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet.' So effectively a 40ft area of darkness.
    Previously I handled this by drawing a 40ft circle on the map and manually applying Concealment effects on any token (PC or NPC) that moved into that area.
    But with the new lighting effects that's not good enough. We need to somehow apply the Darkness effect to that area.

Dancing Lights are a movable light source. Currently in the Spellbook their is no effect for that.
    When I was DM'ing I would have the player indicate, with a 10ft circle pointer where the light was going and would either reveal the mask (if a mask was being used) or just tell the players what the dancing lights revealed.
    With the new lighting effects that's not good enough. We need to somehow apply the Light effect to a movable object.

So how do we handle this?

My first thought it to create a dummy NPC that gets added to the map as a token and then cast the spell on that NPC. It works but it feels cumbersome. Plus you may need multiple dummy NPCs for multiple different effects.

What are you thoughts? Do you have a better way to handle this?

Spell Details
    Below is the list of all spells that I have added Lighting and Vision effects to. Please let me know if their are any that I have missed.

Light Spells
    • Alluring Light
    • Blade of Light
    • Brightest Light
    • Burst with Light
    • Corpse Lanterns
    • Dancing Lights
    • Daylight
    • Light
    • Light Lance
    • Light of Iomedae
    • Revealing Light
    • Silverlight
    • Spotlight
    • Wall of Light

Darkness Spells
    Note that the Darkness lighting effect blocks all vision, including darkvision. Some of the pathfinder darkness spells do not block darkvision. So for those spells the Darkness effect cannot be applied.
    Based on this it seems like the best way to use those darkness spells is not for them to have an effect but rather to turn off other effects that come into the area of the spell.
    But I'm open to suggestions if anyway has a better way to handle that.

Darkness Spells Without a Darkness Lighting Effect
    • Dancing Darkness
    • Darkness
    • Darkvault
    • Shield of Darkness

Darkness Spells With a Darkness Lighting Effect
    • Acid Fog
    • Ash Storm
    • Blacklight
    • Deeper Darkness
    • Fog Cloud
    • Haunting Mists
    • Hungry Darkness
    • Obscuring Mist
    • Pyrotechnics
    • Shroud of Darkness
    • Sleet Storm
    • Solid Fog
    • Storm of Vengeance
    • Twilight Haze
    • Virulent Miasma

Spells With Vision Effects
    Darkvision
    • Angelic Aspect
    • Angelic Aspect, Greater
    • Blessing of the Mole
    • Darkvision
    • Darkvision, Communal
    • Darkvision, Greater
    • Divine Vessel
    • Elemental Body I, II, III, and IV
    • Eyes of the Void
    • Form of the Alien Dragon I, II, and III
    • Form of the Dragon I, II, and III
    • Form of the Exotic Dragon I, II, and III
    • Mantle of the Magic Warriors
    • Phantom Hunt
    • Shadow Projection
    • Undead Anatomy I, II, III, and IV

Blindsight
    • Decollate
    • Divine Vessel
    • Echolocation
    • Form of the Alien Dragon III
    • Form of the Dragon III
    • Form of the Exotic Dragon III
    • Gift of the Deep
    • Ooze Form I, II, and III
    • Thoughtsense

True Sight
    • Glimpse of Truth
    • Prying Eyes, Greater
    • True Seeing

With Pathfinder, I'm also wondering on how the lighting and vision effects will work with how Pathfinder runs these spells. They did an entire blog on how these interact. Light and Darkness don't cancel each other out per se, but the effects of each are canceled within the radii of the spells (the blog does a much better job of explaining this).

The vision and light update is here. It will be awsome!!

And to answer your question @dllewell , I do not see a better way to implement it either. I think we need to apply an effect to a "dummy token".

this may be a stupid question - but why is the version number in the definition.xml say 3.3 ? Is this supposed to correspond to the versions listed in Post #1 or is this version number serving a different purpose?
    If you're not having fun, then you're not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by KevenSimmons View Post
    this may be a stupid question - but why is the version number in the definition.xml say 3.3 ? Is this supposed to correspond to the versions listed in Post #1 or is this version number serving a different purpose?
    The version number in the definition file is the 'version number of the FG client version that uses this data format'. When I first started this project we were at Fantasy Grounds Client Version of 3.3 and I have never bothered to change it. I'm honestly not sure what effect, if any, changing it to 4.1 would have. I would think probably nothing ... but as far as I can tell there is no benefit to changing it so it stays at 3.3

It does not correspond to the version number of the module itself. There is no where in the definition file that shows the version number of the module itself.

Version 7 has been uploaded.

To see the spell changes on the character sheet you must re-attach the spell to the character sheet. OR
    If you use Upgrade NPC Actions v1.12 or higher you can now right-click the spell and click re-parse to re-import it with any new changes from the this Spellbook module

This version consists of 2 sets of changes.

Added Size Adjustment Effects
    Made adjustments to apply correct CMB and CMD modifiers. Thank you Svandal

The spells affected by this are
    • Enlarge Person
    • Enlarge Person, Mass
    • Steal Size
    • Reduce Animal
    • Reduce Person
    • Reduce Person, Mass
    • Righteous Might
    • Legendary Proportions

Added Lighting and Vision Effects
    NOTE: These will only work in Unity Version 4.1 (or higher)

Below is the list of all spells that I have added Lighting and Vision effects to. Please let me know if their are any that I have missed.

Light Spells
    • Alluring Light
    • Blade of Light
    • Brightest Light
    • Burst with Light
    • Continual Flame
    • Corpse Lanterns
    • Dancing Lights
    • Daylight
    • Light
    • Light Lance
    • Light of Iomedae
    • Revealing Light
    • Silverlight
    • Spotlight
    • Wall of Light

Darkness Spells
    Note that the Darkness lighting effect blocks all vision, including darkvision. Some of the pathfinder darkness spells do not block darkvision. So for those spells the Darkness effect cannot be applied.
    Based on this it seems like the best way to use those darkness spells is not for them to have an effect but rather to turn off other effects that come into the area of the spell.
    But I'm open to suggestions if anyway has a better way to handle that.

Darkness Spells Without a Darkness Lighting Effect
    • Dancing Darkness
    • Darkness
    • Darkvault
    • Shield of Darkness

Darkness Spells With a Darkness Lighting Effect
    • Acid Fog
    • Ash Storm
    • Blacklight
    • Deeper Darkness
    • Fog Cloud
    • Haunting Mists
    • Hungry Darkness
    • Obscuring Mist
    • Pyrotechnics
    • Shroud of Darkness
    • Sleet Storm
    • Solid Fog
    • Storm of Vengeance
    • Twilight Haze
    • Virulent Miasma

Spells With Vision Effects
    • Darkvision
    • Angelic Aspect
    • Angelic Aspect, Greater
    • Blessing of the Mole
    • Darkvision
    • Darkvision, Communal
    • Darkvision, Greater
    • Divine Vessel
    • Elemental Body I, II, III, and IV
    • Eyes of the Void
    • Form of the Alien Dragon I, II, and III
    • Form of the Dragon I, II, and III
    • Form of the Exotic Dragon I, II, and III
    • Mantle of the Magic Warriors
    • Phantom Hunt
    • Shadow Projection
    • Undead Anatomy I, II, III, and IV

Blindsight
    • Decollate
    • Divine Vessel
    • Echolocation
    • Form of the Alien Dragon III
    • Form of the Dragon III
    • Form of the Exotic Dragon III
    • Gift of the Deep
    • Ooze Form I, II, and III
    • Thoughtsense

True Sight
    • Glimpse of Truth
    • Prying Eyes, Greater
    • True Seeing
    Last edited by dllewell; May 15th, 2021 at 01:06.

For the Light spells, I can see that you coded it like so: Light; LIGHT: 20 torch
    But, from the Presets effects, the Spell - Light has this code instead: LIGHT: 20 light
    Same thing for the Daylight spell: LIGHT: 60 daylight instead of Daylight; LIGHT: 60 lantern

Would it be possible to change them in the spellbook?

I ask because in Options, there is a new "Token Lights" menu that lets us change the settings of the presets!
    That way, we can modify the look and feel of the light and daylight spell without changing the presets for the torch and the lantern!

Thank you very much ^^

this is probably the way to do it, and then it shouldn't be a hassle when they implement the rest of the lighting effects (low-light vision etc)

Thread Information