FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Homebrew

Homebrew

I have created a custom game system that uses the d&d 5e mechanics with the 3.5 skill system. I have made custom classes, spells, monsters, ect. and a character sheet for this system. Before purchasing anything I wanted to find out if FG can support such homebrew creations or am I out of luck?

Blog Entries
    Welcome Coins1982

It depends on how much automation you want. If you want to build smarts into teh system to recognize deviations from the game mechanics you may have to do some coding.

Have a look at these videos first and see if they get you close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0v...V7ZYH4fHpLg42I

I have looked at the videos and I do not think those will help. You can code your own content? Is there some places to go for more information about this? Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    What do you mean by 'code your own content'?

Do you mean create your own set of items, classes, races, adventures, npcs, etc within the templates provided by a ruleset? Yes you can do this. See the wiki, YouTube, User Manual, or the link in my signature.

Or, do you mean create your own game mechanics, customize character sheets, change automation, and/or add new types of database object? Yes you can do this. This will require that you either write an extension or a new ruleset. Depending upon the extents of what you want to do.

Or, if you mean you just want to add a new list of skills to the existing skill list and have them handled like other 5E skills, then you can just do this as is by adding skills to the skill list. This is the easiest and quickest way to do things.

But, if you want your character sheet to look different than the 5E one, if you want different automation around your skills, then the second thing is what you want to do. This approach is going to require you to create a custom extension (or ruleset) layered off the 5E ruleset. This is going to require you to learn how to write files in XML and LUA. It is going to require some small amount of coding. Because everyone that customizes FG does it for their own goals, their is no guide or tutorial to do exactly what you want to do. But you can start with those videos, then take a look at the Developer Guide, then you can look at other extensions posted on the forums and take them apart to see how they did parts that you want to duplicate. There are probably hundreds of examples you can pull apart.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for your help. Looks like I have some reading to do, as I know nothing about coding. This is exactly the information I was looking for. When I finish the final touches on my ruleset, and I code it, I will post it on the forums for all to enjoy.

Thread Information