DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else (DMsGuild)

Hey Everyone,

We've just released the Fantasy Grounds conversion of Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else on the DMsGuild.

For those of you unfamiliar with this title, it is one of the most popular titles on the Guild. Created by talented creators known as Guild Adepts (authors hand-picked by WotC to create the highest quality of products on the guild). You can learn more about the Guild Adept program here.

Inside this massive module of full color art, you get:

25 New Subclasses
    • Barbarian Path of the Courageous Heart
    • Barbarian Path of the Red Reaver
    • Barbarian Path of the Sacred Kin
    • Bard College of Discord
    • Bard College of Keys
    • Bard College of Mourning
    • Cleric Entropy Domain
    • Cleric Survival Domain
    • Druid Circle of Seasons
    • Druid Circle of the Spiritlord
    • Fighter Dragoon
    • Fighter Runeguard
    • Monk Way of Atonement
    • Monk Way of Empathy
    • Paladin Oath of Predation
    • Paladin Oath of Providence
    • Ranger Burghal Explorer
    • Ranger Wasteland Wanderer
    • Rogue Divine Herald
    • Sorcerer Fey Magic
    • Warlock The Chaos
    • Warlock The Noble Genie
    • Wizard Beguiler
    • Wizard Mage Hunter
    • Wizard Reconstruction

5 New Backgrounds
    • Dead
    • Heretic
    • Legendary Lineage
    • Polymorphed
    • Retired Adventurer

Feyblood, a New Race

6 New Rules Modules for DMs

• Expanded Critical Hit Effects Rules
    • Critical Miss Effects Rules
    • New Rules for Death and Dying
    • Expanded Injury Rules
    • Expanded Sanity and Corruption Rules
    • A New Table for Uncovering Story Items

More than 20 New Magic Items

An Adventure in Chult for Tier 1 Characters

You can grab Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else on the DMsGuild now!
    Last edited by Grimlore; June 6th, 2020 at 21:41.
    Check out the Grim Press Website!
    See our FG releases on the Fantasy Grounds Store.
    We're also releasing content on the FG Forge.
    Join our community Discord server to engage with us directly: discord.gg/grimpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption77 View Post
    Getting it now!
    Thank you! If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know!
    Check out the Grim Press Website!
    See our FG releases on the Fantasy Grounds Store.
    We're also releasing content on the FG Forge.
    Join our community Discord server to engage with us directly: discord.gg/grimpress.

I am a new Fantasy Grounds user and recently purchased an Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Unity license. Will this Xanathars Lost Notes To Everything Else Mod work on Fantasy Grounds Unity and if so how do I install/load it onto the FGU platform after I purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pavetheworld View Post
    I am a new Fantasy Grounds user and recently purchased an Ultimate Fantasy Grounds Unity license. Will this Xanathars Lost Notes To Everything Else Mod work on Fantasy Grounds Unity and if so how do I install/load it onto the FGU platform after I purchase it?
    Most modules should work on both FGC and FGU, that is a major design goal of the developers to ensure no one has to rebuy anything. Extensions are another issue, but modules work. Maps are the biggest difference, where FGU has line of sight and thus needs some data that FGC doesn't on its maps to implement that. But the story, items, npc, etc all work the same.

Just like FGC you drop the module into the module folder in your FGU installation. Then, the next time you load FGU go into your library and it should appear in the list of modules.

I saved the purchased Mod to my Mod folder which I accessed by clicking the folder icon in top left of screen when starting FGU. Turned on Mod after starting program and had access to everything. Works great. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavetheworld View Post
    I saved the purchased Mod to my Mod folder which I accessed by clicking the folder icon in top left of screen when starting FGU. Turned on Mod after starting program and had access to everything. Works great. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Cheers!

There are a lot of great products on the DMsGuild for Fantasy Grounds and they all work the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlore View Post
    Thank you! If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know!
    Sorry for the randomly out of order nature:
    * Gorgeous art. And a big thank you for taking the extra time to embed them in the reference manual so we can see them while reading not just have a link we have to click to open them!
    * Not sure if it is intentional or not, but a few of the subclasses don't have art (barbarian courageous heart, bard of discord, etc). Never more than 1/class and not all classes. Just a few here and there which is what made me wonder if it was an accidental omission.
    * The Merchant Prince Villa map: damn that is a nice map.
    * The Water Gen NPC has CR 1/2 and +10 to hit in melee with multiattack. Is that intentional? It seems something is off.
    * All the Gen's seem too low CR. They can fly and planeshift, and have very powerful spells like heat metal and invisibility all at CR 1/2. That's like shadows. They punch FAR above their challenge rating and will lead to TPKs if DM's aren't careful. Heat metal deals auto damage, no save or to hit. So let's say two of them get initiative or surprise a party (because invisibility means this is going to be common), that is 4d8 damage (average 18, worst case scenario 32) with no to-hit or save possible. That is very likely to be a dead second level fighter.
    * The Urban Dryad can cast thorn whip 2x per day. Why? It does less than half damage of the lash ability it can use at will and one point lower to hit. What is the thought behind limiting a duplicative cantrip instead of having either of the abilities modified to do whatever you want the other to do and make the single power unlimited in use?
    * Florina and Red-Eye's NPC entries don't have their paragraph of background in the second tab or a link back to that page. Would be really handy when running the adventure. And the NPC summary could have a link to their NPC stat block. Self-referral links like that are something that FG can do that print can't which really help the DM speed things instead of looking for things.
    * LOVE the dead background. Very well done. Especially the feature. I think it strikes a great balance between how often it would be helpful and how easily it is triggered. And those flaws... love them. "everything was better when I was dead". Dead bard of mourning. lol. I love it.
    * Heretic also, since 5e is the first edition where clerics can be heretics RAW and the god can't do anything about it (except withhold that 1%/level chance to invoke divine intervention), that is one that was sorely needed. And I think you did a solid job with it, definitely has a better variation on the "place of safety" feature that so many backgrounds have which no player ever uses. This one should actually get used.
    * Barbarians can use rage charges and hit dice to power abilities. Nice idea, not sure on the balance without testing it, but on paper I like it.
    * The Sacred Kin gets too much magic, that is not really comparable to the eldritch knight or arcane trickster. By 7th level (roughly the equivalent spot of a 20th level Sacred Kin) a sorcerer only knows 8 spells but the barb knows 13. By 20th level a sorcerer knows only 15 spells and the barb gets 13? that's too many no matter how you limit it in terms of school of magic and level. I think you used the arcane trickster and eldritch knight not thinking that the wizard has infinite spells known limited spells prepared and the sorcerer specifically has very few spells known. Magnificent idea otherwise, nice blending of features like the eldritch knight's mixing of cantrips and attacks. I have a Mystara game and there is a territory called Grakhalia where gnolls and elves live together and the elves became barbarians and the gnolls fighter-mages. This is so perfect for them.
    * Bard College of Keys typo:Attachment 37324
    * Cleric of Entropy typo: Attachment 37325
    * Druid of Spiritlords typos: Empowered Conduit says "At 6th level, your connection with the spirit realm strengths enough to host an additional spirit" and " pick which one is currently active, while the other lay dormant within the mask". Should be "strengthens" and "lays". Weird wording "it is none the less a druid spell for you" first, nonetheless is a single word, second, the 5e standard phrasing is "this spell is treated as a druid spell for you" see the bard's magical secrets for an example in use in the SRD. Also the Vigilant Spirits' entire description is in quotes.
    * Dragoon: Versatile combatant: that's too much damage and to hit. scales up to +6 to hit and +5 damage to every attack with no drawbacks (minimum of +2 to hit and +1 to damage)? AND get to weaponize your bonus action? And this comes in at the same level you up a damage die from d4 or d6 to d8 via the cavalry weapon. That's far too good. Especially the to hit. 5e uses bounded accuracy, a +2 is the equivalent % improvement in 5e as a +5 was in 3e/pathfinder, so a +6 to hit is out of the park. Another way to think of it is that's double the highest to hit bonus a magic item can have in this edition. Again to compare to 3e that had +5 weapons so it would be like an ability giving +10 to hit. War clerics get +10 to hit but it requires their channel divinity (initially once per rest, eventually twice per short rest), it's not on every attack all day long. Bards have limits on inspiration dice used to hit, this is like getting infinite two inspiration dice (one to hit one to damage) on every attack.
    * Paladin of Predation: seems all over the place. Teleport circle as a bonus spell, some deception, lots of damage, domination/ permanent mental slavery... it doesn't feel like it has a unifying theme, it just feels like a lot of "cool" stuff crammed together. Definitely powerful, but I dunno, it's just all over the place. When I compare it to say the Druid of Seasons, or the Warlock of Chaos or even the Paladin of Providence (which is very cool btw) those have a clear theme and everything fits the theme. This doesn't have that. Even the description as building a clear hierarchy and valuing order but then all the deception, lies, sleight of hand proficiency, etc that go along with breaking authority and doing what you're not supposed to do... it is internally inconsistent. Using the powers seems like it practically forces (well encourages) you to break the tenets, for example. And the name, predators hunt prey, what does that have to do with mental slavery or and law and order? I don't get this one.
    * Ranger Burghal Explorer: this is a great team-player build. So many classes are selfish in the sense that they have rules that benefit only themselves. These guys help the whole team. Really cool way to change up the normal playstyle. I can see these wanting to change what they do in every encounter based on who goes after them in the initiative order. And using readied actions has a whole other level of strategy here.
    * Rogue Divine Herald Harbinger of Faith: sneak attack causes victims to doubt their convictions... this is awesome. I know a DM who needs this in his games.
    * Warlock Noble Genie: I like your version so much better than the UA's "go collect random crap and stuff it into the lamp". Fun cross promotion: Kobold Press's Midgard/Southlands setting has a Djinnborn Race.
    * Some cool new magic items, I especially like the pouch of sounds.
    * There's definitely text scrambled and missing in Appendix A. missing-text.jpg. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to read "This appendix details new monsters that appear in this book but don't appear in the Monster Manual. For explanations on how to interpret the stat block entries listed here, please refer to the introduction chapter of Xanathar's Guide to Everything or in the Monster Manual." Green text moved where I think you intended it to be. Bold text added where I think it was missing.

On the Adventure:
    Great concept, nice villains. Intellect devourer as enemies at that level is lethal. I like it. But it seems like a missed opportunity, why didn't it incorporate the suspicion and sanity/corruption rules? If you're adding these options, the adventure was the perfect place to incorporate them. Intellect Devourer's Abominations, etc. that's sanity. Zhenterim, that's corruption. They even fit the theme. And working the combat rules into the adventure also, with advice and examples how the critical success and critical failure could be adjudicated, reminders to roll on the story items table in rooms where they might suspect something (the gardens, the guest rooms, ship's hold, etc). And the adventure doesn't include any of your nifty new magic items as loot? None of the encounters have an urban dryad? You have mephitis and magmin but not Gen? No "hey here's a way to link your heretic background to the plot hook for Zhent's" or "your mage hunter is contacted by the Harpers because the Xanathar Guild is up to no good"? You added new rules for runes in the fighter but no runes in the adventure? All this cool stuff, your adventure is your chance to show it off and give an example of how to use it, but there's nothing there. That feels like a big missed opportunity to me. Especially since it is a great little adventure and it really fits with your new mechanics pretty well.

Also, consider swapping the art for the sections on the two ships. The art for the section on the Wicked Gaze (Red-Eye's ship) shows a swashbuckling woman swinging down from the rigging. The art for the section on the Flying Adder (Florina's ship) shows a merchant ship sailing at sunrise/sunset). I know the art isn't "supposed" to be Florina, but it jumped out at me anyway so I thought I'd mention it. Swap-Art.jpg

With that said, this is a great little adventure I love the one smuggler going in and one smuggler going out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; July 1st, 2020 at 23:38.

Gavin, this is a conversion of a module from a different group. I absolutely agree with most of your comments, but Grimlore isn't really in a position to change it. But what is on his end: Florina and Red Eyes backstory links, and maybe the typos.

Quote Originally Posted by ScriedRaven View Post
    Gavin, this is a conversion of a module from a different group. I absolutely agree with most of your comments, but Grimlore isn't really in a position to change it. But what is on his end: Florina and Red Eyes backstory links, and maybe the typos.
    But he can pass it on to those who can. And not all of it was about changes, for example, the comment on the reference section and embedded art was just a straight up thank you to him for converting it that way.

Thread Information