DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Missing features?

I was looking into running the GURPS Ruleset of FG (I've been trying in FGU). I have noticed that damage on a targeted foe doesn't seem to automatically be subtracted (but this could be user error). There also is a feature mentioned that was planned at the end of the video (automation of range penalties), and that still seems be absent. It seems there is an extension for Hit locations. Is that compatible with the current version?

What has been done is exceptional, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that things such as multiple firing modes are already addressed (which is something we have to work around in my Call of Cthulhu game).

Your first issue is not a bug, as the current understanding of SJG policy is that automation of that sort is not allowed. Well, I guess that also covers your 2nd issue.

As I understand it SJG policy is to not automate anything unique to GURPS. I can see why automating range might be an issue, but there are very few games that don't have damage of some sort, and it takes the damage from the weapons field anyways. This is something that I've seen in every official module. I can understand not wanting to step on SJG toes, but that seems pretty fundamental to all RPGs. I'll ask them about it, or perhaps ask Mook. Can't hurt to ask.

It looks like I had some grammatical issues. I had tree questions:
    1. Is automated hitpoint deduction when you roll damage (with a target selected) missing or am I doing something wrong? Answered
    2. Was automated range detection ever added? Answered
    3. There is an extension I've found on the forum that adds a place to store hit locations (but not the hit locations themselves), but its in a somewhat dated post. Is this compatible with the current version? Not answered yet.

It might help people get you an answer if you provide a link to the extension you're referring to. Then everyone will know exactly what's being discussed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Solarite View Post
    It looks like I had some grammatical issues. I had tree questions:
    1. Is automated hitpoint deduction when you roll damage (with a target selected) missing or am I doing something wrong? Answered
    2. Was automated range detection ever added? Answered
    3. There is an extension I've found on the forum that adds a place to store hit locations (but not the hit locations themselves), but its in a somewhat dated post. Is this compatible with the current version? Not answered yet.
    1. Automated application of damage is nearly impossible with GURPS. The defender gets a roll to avoid it, and then there's DR, and injury tolerance, etc. That said, at least the calculation of DR and injury modifiers is being looked at.
    2. This one is being worked on
    3. That worked in the previous version of the ruleset. I don't know if it works with this one, but I haven't tried it, and would be curious to find out. (Assuming I'm thinking of the correct one.)
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

If you're talking about the extension I made under DTE - Hit Locations, that one does work perfectly fine on FGU and FG Classic. Mind, it's *only* informational and has no bearing on automation.

In regards to Gingermann's response:

1. The ideal solution without popups (which I am not sure if that is supported in FG at all) would be to have to hit rolled as it is right now, and damage be a separate roll after everything else was resolved. Ideally there would be a drop down menu with user entered modifiers and associated labels (also user entered) for such things as Imp Arm, etc. This wouldn't work well if damage was being tracked by location as well as damage modifiers, but if it was it would be ideal to have FG (if it can) check the syntax of the label of the modifier for where it applies the damage.

For small combats this degree of automation doesn't help much, but I have found that when I have combats of 10 or more (which with using the mooks rules is quite common) it is common to waste time clarifying who is hitting who. I have to search through the combat tracker to change the HP or otherwise figure things out. This takes maybe 30 seconds, but it adds up.

2. I am glad that the range tracker is being worked on, because even if it doesn't automate further than that it would reduce book keeping and look ups if I wanted to use the default range rules rather than range bands for more tactical combat.

In regards to Dingo's:

Yes that is the extension I was talking about. Even if it automates nothing, the ability to have a visual representation on the character sheet (especially for new players) is very useful. Otherwise I was simply going to include an image with a link in notes, or something along those lines, for the one shot I've been running to teach some people the fundamentals of GURPS (and they expressed a desire to have hit locations)
    Last edited by Solarite; June 10th, 2020 at 18:39.

Automating GURPS comes with MORE problems than solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by RevenantBob View Post
    Automating GURPS comes with MORE problems than solutions.
    That's only true if you require it to automate all the things for ALL the genres. In my mind, that sort of requirement has always held SJG Gurps back - the "If we can't do all things, we won't do any of them."

Of course, It would be nice to have the automation optional.

Thread Information