DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Falling rocks effect

I am just barely understand some of the basics of FG, I have been DMing for a few sessions and I am wanting to have the roof cave in on the group and npcs. How would I go about making an "attack" that would have all the targeted actors roll a save vs dex and take like 3d6 bludgeoning damage on a failed save and be knocked prone or half damage on a save? I am just breaking into understanding how stuff like this works so I know it is doable I just don't know how to do it :/

Blog Entries
    Make an NPC for your trap or hazard. There are a few example modules on the forums, I know I put together one long ago. Give this NPC (Roof Collapse) an action or reaction that will deal the damage and give the save. You the wording from an existing NPC that has an area damage with half on save or use the info from here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ffects-on-NPCs

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

When I am adlibbing and something happens, I just have the player roll the dice vs themselves and I drag&drop the results from the chat window onto their wounds in the combat tracker.

But if I am prepared, then I have a trap as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    When I am adlibbing and something happens, I just have the player roll the dice vs themselves and I drag&drop the results from the chat window onto their wounds in the combat tracker.

But if I am prepared, then I have a trap as described above.
    I'm sure Gavin knows, but Drath3n prob does not. Gavin's ad-lib method works well, but if a PC has an effect that would reduce the damage because it's bludgeoning damage, it would not get automated using the ad-lib method. So, as they suggested, a prepared Trap NPC works best.

But if you want to automate ad-lib damage, here is a suggestion. Create an Automated Damage NPC that has 13 actions. Each action has only one line that reads Hit: 1d6 <type> damage where <type> is acid, slashing, etc. until you have all 13 damage types. Then when you need ad-libbed damage, modify the dice to the appropriate amount (e.g. 3d6 or 2d8) before rolling. This way damage is automated.

Pro Tip: If you roll the damage to chat rather than apply it directly to a character, you can right-click the result in the chat window to halve the value for those that made their save, if there was one.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Yes that is excellent clarification!

Also if you have the DMG or Xanthar's Guide to Everything modules many of the "NPCs" are traps including one in the DMG that is a "Collapsing Roof" that would be quick to mod for your use.

Thanks for all the tips, didnt even think about using npc traps. I have the ones Gwydion put together, Ill look at those and look up the falling ceiling bit in the DMG

Think I got something going, gunna test it out. The way you have to write this stuff is like a Verbal Component to a spell, if you don't get it just right it fizzles

Thread Information