5E Character Create Playlist

Dexterity or Strength based fighting? Why not both together?

Why should somebody with Dex 18 and Str 18 have to choose which stat he/she is using for damage? Surely Dex 18 gives accuracy to hit lethal places and Str 18 would give more force, should they not both be applied? 樂
    Last edited by sorvan76; June 5th, 2020 at 22:41.

Blog Entries
    I assume you are talking D&D and probably 5E?

The simple thought is you can either swing your weapon with full force, or you can try and finesse it into damage. But, I suspect the real reason is game balance. It would be much too easy in any D&D or derivative game to make an unbalanced character if you allowed damage from both.

That said, D&D also has a long tradition of house rules. So any DM can houserule what they want. But understand, if you are not fixing something that is broken, you are probably breaking something else.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I assume you are talking D&D and probably 5E?

The simple thought is you can either swing your weapon with full force, or you can try and finesse it into damage. But, I suspect the real reason is game balance. It would be much too easy in any D&D or derivative game to make an unbalanced character if you allowed damage from both.

That said, D&D also has a long tradition of house rules. So any DM can houserule what they want. But understand, if you are not fixing something that is broken, you are probably breaking something else.
    True. And while we're at it, why not let characters apply Int modifiers to damage also as they are clever and know where to whack people.

Blog Entries
    But what about those that are wise in the ways of the world ?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sorvan76 View Post
    True. And while we're at it, why not let characters apply Int modifiers to damage also as they are clever and know where to whack people.
    Thus far 5e already has official AL legal mechanics for every stat except constitution to be used for hit/damage. Wis is the most limited as it only comes from shillelagh. But alchemists can use Int with weapons to hit and damage, Hexblade Warlocks Cha, and a finesse weapon lets you pick str or dex and change it every time you attack. The only limit is if you use one to hit you have to use the same for damage. All this is RAW and AL legal.

In other game systems there are flexible mechanics. For example, Rolemaster uses multiple stats and your learned skill (proficiency is the equivalent in 5e) is on diminishing returns and your parry is split among attackers. Not everyone likes that level of detail and find that it bogs things down. Others love it.

A recurring argument is whether Str or Dex should be used for bows. A 100+ pound warbow definitely requires significant strength, and someone like an orc wielding a scaled up 200+ lb warbow would seriously out range and out damage any halfling with uber-dex. But DND has always used dex as the ranged stat so there it is.

Like LordEntrails said, feel free to homerule as you see fit, and be aware that you're probably breaking something else. So long as that isn't something you mind breaking, it's all good.

Blog Entries
    Why should somebody with Dex 18 and Str 18 have to choose which stat he/she is using for damage? Surely Dex 18 gives accuracy to hit lethal places and Str 18 would give more force, should they not both be applied? 樂
    No problem. But the Monsters get the same bonuses.

Thank you all very much for the answers. And, of course, you are all correct. I mean, there must be some influence from every stat when it comes to combat. I guess to ask the question in the first place defeats the purpose of the mechanics of 5th edition, though?

Compared to my previous favourite edition, which was 2nd edition AD&D, the machanics are very similar. Between both I like having the flexibility to mould the rules - and as damned has pointed out - to preserve the balance when doing so.

Moved to 5E forum.

JPG

Thread Information