STAR TREK 2d20

Automating D&D 5e Oil (Flask)

For context, I have a player who is a pyromaniac goblin throwing out oil, fire, and rockets of all sorts. I am looking for an easy way for him to have a power or weapon on his character sheet that is an Oil Flask. We are using D&D 5e. I am new to FGU and VTTs in general but my experience so far has been excellent.

The Oil Flask Item reads:
    "As an action, you can splash the oil in this flask onto a creature within 5 feet of you or throw it up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a target creature or object, treating the oil as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target is covered in oil. If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil."

I know how to set up the attack and the duration but I am curious if it is possible to create an effect where when the target takes fire damage, it receives an additional 5 fire damage automatically because it had oil on it.

I thought of just having the player have a power with the improvised ranged weapon attack, an effect called "oil", and a damage button that does 5 fire damage. They could roll to hit, apply the oil effect, and then, when fire damage is dealt to the creature, deal the additional 5 fire damage from the oil all in one power on their character sheet. The problem here is that the oil effect would need to be removed manually as far as I can tell.
    I also played around with conditional effects, IF, and IFT condition tests but couldn't figure anything out.

Is it possible to automate the Oil (Flask)? Or to what extent could the Oil (Flask) be automated?

Thanks in Advance!

The problem you face is that there''s no way to test what the incoming damage type is going to be. If you could do that then you could set up a custom IFT effect. Since there isn't however you'll need to do it all manually. The player who throws the flask would just have a 5 fire damage line in their power group and drag that damage onto the target if it takes any fire damage from another source.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Braxa View Post
    For context, I have a player who is a pyromaniac goblin throwing out oil, fire, and rockets of all sorts. I am looking for an easy way for him to have a power or weapon on his character sheet that is an Oil Flask. We are using D&D 5e. I am new to FGU and VTTs in general but my experience so far has been excellent.

The Oil Flask Item reads:
    "As an action, you can splash the oil in this flask onto a creature within 5 feet of you or throw it up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a target creature or object, treating the oil as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target is covered in oil. If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil."

I know how to set up the attack and the duration but I am curious if it is possible to create an effect where when the target takes fire damage, it receives an additional 5 fire damage automatically because it had oil on it.

I thought of just having the player have a power with the improvised ranged weapon attack, an effect called "oil", and a damage button that does 5 fire damage. They could roll to hit, apply the oil effect, and then, when fire damage is dealt to the creature, deal the additional 5 fire damage from the oil all in one power on their character sheet. The problem here is that the oil effect would need to be removed manually as far as I can tell.
    I also played around with conditional effects, IF, and IFT condition tests but couldn't figure anything out.

Is it possible to automate the Oil (Flask)? Or to what extent could the Oil (Flask) be automated?

Thanks in Advance!
    Do I misunderstand something, or is the effect not simply VULN: 5 fire? (As far as I know 5e supports numbers for the VULN effect; the only disadvantage here might be that it does not work well in combination with VULN: fire because it will overwrite VULN effects without a number. So, as long as the target does not already have vulnerability to fire I'd say use VULN: 5 fire )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Do I misunderstand something, or is the effect not simply VULN: 5 fire? (As far as I know 5e supports numbers for the VULN effect; the only disadvantage here might be that it does not work well in combination with VULN: fire because it will overwrite VULN effects without a number. So, as long as the target does not already have vulnerability to fire I'd say use VULN: 5 fire )
    Ah, good grief. Yes you are completely correct. This question comes up every now and again and I always forget that this is the answer.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Ah, good grief. Yes you are completely correct. This question comes up every now and again and I always forget that this is the answer.
    hehe

Thread Information