STAR TREK 2d20

[MacOS] Direct input of special characters is not working

System: MacOS 10.15.5
    FGU: 05-21-2020

FGU is not accepting special characters when I'm typing Sabiduría o Emoción, for example. FGU displays Sabiduria or Emocion instead. However, if I type this kind of special characters directly in a text editor or in the Spotlight textbook and copy that text, I can paste it directly in FGU with no problems.

My current workaround is to create modules using FG Classic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by g0ntzal View Post
    System: MacOS 10.15.5
    FGU: 05-21-2020

FGU is not accepting special characters when I'm typing Sabiduría o Emoción, for example. FGU displays Sabiduria or Emocion instead. However, if I type this kind of special characters directly in a text editor or in the Spotlight textbook and copy that text, I can paste it directly in FGU with no problems.

My current workaround is to create modules using FG Classic.
    There is a known issue with AltGR keyboards. If you are using an AltGr keyboard, try using Ctrl-Option instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    There is a known issue with AltGR keyboards. If you are using an AltGr keyboard, try using Ctrl-Option instead.
    I’m typing directly, Carl. Keyboard is ISO Spanish. When I try to use an accent mark I get the word with no accent. It works perfectly in FG Classic or if I paste a word with an accent mark from clipboard to FGU.

Thanks for your reply.

i can't type the [] in mac and I need to type elsewhere and copy paste when I need it
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Me gusta jugar Savage Worlds settings como Rippers y Hell on earth. Call of Cthulhu ed 5 a 7 y DnD 5E.
    Me gusta la musica, soy bajista y tambien la fotografia de boda en Guadalajara donde vivo y trabajo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aribethdm View Post
    i can't type the [] in mac and I need to type elsewhere and copy paste when I need it
    What keyboard and language settings are you using?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So an interesting addition to the previous is the new module I just bought has all it's quotes and apostrophe's swapped for little square boxes. I tried to edit those and lo and behold my quote key, on an ANSI keyboard no longer worked in FGU. Nor did the laptop key work on my Macbookpro 10.14.6, running FGU ultimate 06-06. Here's a screenshot of the module. Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 4.36.03 PM.png
    And here's the same text on my FGC 3.3.10 Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 4.46.11 PM.png

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Drayke View Post
    So an interesting addition to the previous is the new module I just bought has all it's quotes and apostrophe's swapped for little square boxes.
    Yes, this is because those modules used unofficial character encoding that was never supported. It worked in FGC because it did not actually enforce character encoding correctly. They show up as little boxes in FGU because FGU correctly enforced the specified encoding.

I tried to edit those and lo and behold my quote key, on an ANSI keyboard no longer worked in FGU. Nor did the laptop key work on my Macbookpro 10.14.6, running FGU ultimate 06-06.
    The encoding only uses normal non-slanted quotes. I forget the standard, but you can see it in the header of an FG file in a text editor. What language etc settings is your computer using?If you are using non-English or the slanted quote characters, FGU won't accept them since they are not compliant.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

My language is English (United States), and Input Sources is U.S. International.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.35.25 PM.png

The default encoding for FGC data files is ISO-8859-1. Slanted quotes, em/en dashes, ellipses, and a few other special characters are only available in Windows 1252 encoding (and not in ISO-8859-1). Therefore they do not work in FGU, because technically those characters don't exist in the encoding specified for the XML file. In FGC, nothing was checked, and the FGF fonts were technically generated on US machines using Windows-1252 encoding. Since we have to respect encoding in FGU to support more international characters, this will not work in FGU. Additionally, Windows-1252 encoding is not natively supported by the .Net engine supplied with Unity; and is considered an "exotic" encoding in .Net in general.

The fix is to replace slanted quotes, and other special characters in the data, with their ISO-8859-1 equivalents. (Slanted quotes = regular quotes, em/en dash = dash, elippses = ..., etc.)

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information