DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Sometime in the next week, I plan on testing some other remote access solutions to see if they work any better. I will be sure to post here with my results.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

It's disappointing RDP doesn't hold up over sessions. Screenconnect works flawlessly, but I prefer the speed/response of RDP which leaves me in the same situation you're in. For the time being, I just open when I need to make changes, then close before I disconnect.

Out of curiosity, is there a monitor connected to the machine you're running this on? I only ask because I've seen some DirectX applications act oddly when the graphics card doesn't detect there's an active display output. I get around this with little HDMI loopback adapters (about $8-$10 on Amazon).

There has not been a monitor attached. I'll try right now, since there is one at this moment. BRB

Edit: No love. Still no response from FG. The cursor changes depending on where it is over the app. However, you cannot interact with FG at all. Works fine when I walk over to the machine and sit down.
    Last edited by mhossom; July 2nd, 2020 at 21:44.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Good question, had not thought of that. There is usually a monitor attached, but it's not always on. Will try with an active monitor.

Tested: unfortunately, having an active monitor attached does not change things.

One peculiar thing I did find: it's (at least) FG itself which has an issue when everything freezes. If I throw a die on the frozen window, I can see but the shadow on a connected client. If it was a video card driver only issue, I would have seen the entire die.
    Last edited by Milmoor; July 4th, 2020 at 12:23. Reason: Tested and additional findings

Can I ask an honest question?

What does RDP win you? License cost? Machine flexibility? Are you limited to the graphic screen on the host? Do you slow down the other clients?

Does the serving machine need to run a shared client for each share?
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Can I ask an honest question?

What does RDP win you? License cost? Machine flexibility? Are you limited to the graphic screen on the host? Do you slow down the other clients?

Does the serving machine need to run a shared client for each share?
    I'm not sure I fully understand your questions, but I will give it a go:
    • The RDP allows me to do some housekeeping on my iPad while sitting on the couch. That works amazingly well.
    • My FG server is running 24/7 so I don't have to arrange anything for character maintenance by my players. I RDP from my main machine for my DM activities since you can't DM from a client.
    • I'm running the host on my HTPC to which I RDP. This functions as a remote monitor and keyboard for that machine. This takes over that functionality for the host machine.
    • I don't experience any lag, and neither should my players.

Does this anwer your questions?

Yes. Thank you.

I like the appeal of the server running 24/7. Nice setup.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Blog Entries
    If you are still having trouble with RDP, have you tried other remote access applications like VNC?

I know many years ago I had issues running OpenGL applications with RDP, but VNC worked just fine.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If you are still having trouble with RDP, have you tried other remote access applications like VNC?

I know many years ago I had issues running OpenGL applications with RDP, but VNC worked just fine.
    Not yet, since I was hoping to fix RDP. But it's quite probably the easy way out. I know Teamviewer is used for this as well (saw it mentioned in a thread somewhere). A more complex "solution" is doing tempory RDP to permanent running RDP. I've got a Raspberry running, I could hop via there. Got an issue with the XRDP clipboard I have to fix first though. An even worse solution: running a VM on the FG machine with an RDP connection to the host .

Thread Information