Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

FG screen not updating anymore in RDP

I recently switched computers. Went from an onboard Intel to an onboard AMD chipset. It's a lot faster now, but my RDP screen is not updating the FG Window anymore. Everything else works. The mouse cursor changes, but the FG desktop isn't updated. My previous computer still works fine with RDP. So it's probably some graphic acceleration issue on the server side. But I can't find where. I did try changing some connections settings on the Experience tab and disabling bitmap caching on the Advanced tab.

VNC used to have similar issues when I fiddled with it ages ago (before I used FG though).

The Windows versions differ:
    10.0.17763.1217 does work
    10.0.19041.264 doesn't work (fresh install)
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 3rd, 2020 at 17:53. Reason: Additional info

My testing was invalid. RDP works fine after a reboot, but breaks if I reconnect to a session. The group policy editing wasn't the cause of things working, it was the reboot. Something in the negotiation fails? I'm running out of ideas where to look.

You need the Group Policy Editor to fix this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../session-hosts.

This solves it till I reconnect to my RDP session. Same device, same client, but after a reconnect everything is frozen.

Group Policy under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Remote Session Environment
    • Configure compression for RemoteFX data: disabled
    • Enable RemoteFX encoding for RemoteFX clients designed for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1: disabled
    • Configure RemoteFX adeptive graphics: disabled

Group Policy under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Remote Session Environment > RemoteFX for Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Configure RemoteFX graphics: disabled
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 6th, 2020 at 15:02.

And now it doesn’t work..

Found a workaround thanks to a colleague: windows-ctrl-shift-B will reset the graphic driver and restore RDP. FG will update again after this. /cheer

https://www.howtogeek.com/351164/sec...-card-drivers/

My old PC has the same issue since updating Windows, so it’s a Windows issue, not the changed GPU.
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 6th, 2020 at 07:37.

Narrowed it down a bit more. Tried Windows 10 build 1909 instead of 2004. A complete fresh install. That seemed to help at first, but it didn't. Found out it's not a restart of the PC, but a restart of Fantasy Grounds which restarts the screen updates. So somehow something is registered/negotiated at startup at FG, which is lost at a reconnect.

Additional info:
    After the reinstall, I started FG. I got a "cannot connect to Graphic subsystem" or something similar after I used the updater to fix access to the folders. Did not get a screenshot unfortunately. Everything seemed to work fine, tried RDP. Yes, no, like above. Reconnected local, and my screen didn't update?!. So I had the issue local as well. A restart helped. So it seems to be an issue with the graphic subsystem.

[edit]
    Reinstalled Windows 10 build 2004. Got my error screenshots. I'm installing FG via RDP, since that allows easier copying of codes. Quite probably did so at my attempt at 1909. Strangely enough local install didn't freeze even without a reboot. Restarting FG still helps in fixing it for RDP. Some consistency at last.

[Edit] Local froze, restart FG helped.

2020-06-06 15_49_30-Could not initialize DirectX.png
    2020-06-06 15_50_33-Error!.png

One thing which lightens the mood: when it works, it is fast. Which was the reason for the entire operation.
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 7th, 2020 at 07:55.

I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas for you to try; but you're using FG in a scenario that's not really supported (i.e. RDP). This is why I haven't commented so far.

Those messages seem to be indicative of some sort of graphics driver issues. FG uses DX9; and the graphics driver used on your system must support the DX9 capabilities that FG uses. Other than that, I don't have anything else I can think to add.

Regards,
    JPG

I get that. The strange thing is it used to work all the time. FGU will probably be the solution in the end, but that one is still too much work in progress for me.

Is someone could test this on their setup, I would be grateful. That would allow me to narrow down on the cause: either the current state of affairs, or something in my specific setup. Just use FG via RDP, close RDP and connect again: does it still update it’s window? You’ll need Windows 10 pro on the FG machine and to enable Remote Desktop connections on it.
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 7th, 2020 at 16:56.

Additional info: in the console I get a Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED. Not sure if it's related, since they don't have timestamps. I had 4 in the last 24 hours since I opened the console.

My local session froze today. Had to restart it. I don't know how to trigger it yet, but a reboot of FG does solve it. The same error in the console.

I would appreciate if anyone could test FG via RDP on their machine.

I am experiencing the same problem. I am fine until I disconnect and reconnect again. I can kill FG remotely and start it up again and everything is happy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem. I am fine until I disconnect and reconnect again. I can kill FG remotely and start it up again and everything is happy.
    Thanks, now I know it's not just my specific setup.

Thread Information