5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

need help. choosing webcam program and rob2e modules

Hi

I played AD&D 30 years ago, but I am new to FG. I am now trying to learn as much as possible using FG before me and my old friends once more will reconnect to the D&D world.
    There is a lot of rules to remember and a lot of flipping through the pages in the core rule books. So, I would like to minimize that by buying some of rob2e modules/extensions/etc.

What modules would be most helpful to keep in the game?

When we start playing, we would like to use webcams. I have searched YouTube to see what programs other people use when playing. But I only find advices about streaming. We are not interested in streaming, just to get that little extra it will give us to see each other while playing.

What program should we use that is functional and not to advanced to use?
    Also, is there any good YouTube links?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Cozy; June 1st, 2020 at 20:27.

Always learn how the program works before diving in and buying a bunch of extras. Robs modules are great as a timesaver, but you need to learn what the functionality is first - read up on effects in the wiki and watch some videos.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ced+Automation
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l-Video-Series

As for webcams I dunno; I just bought the first one that came up on Amazon in the mid price range. You can use things like Discord or Google etc for video chat.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 1st, 2020 at 21:30.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Streaming and video chat are the same thing, it's just verbiage depending on whether you post the videos or not.

All of my group have laptops and such, and thus use those for the webcam. We use Google Hangouts Meet for our videoconferencing. At my location I have another player with me, so I use an external USB mic on my laptop so that 1) we don't have two mics & speakers running in the same room (that's a recipe for nasty echo) and 2) the mic on a laptop is pretty bad, particularly if you're trying to capture people who aren't immediately in front of the laptop.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Cozy!

It looks like you are planning to play 5e. If you played ~ 30 years ago, you may be interested to know about the AD&D 2e | Classics ruleset... it's what you would have been likely playing back then. May be worth a look depending on your interests.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Double post after ~ 4 hours somehow.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Personaly I use discord for Voice and Video chat, I tend to put it up on a second monitor but you can put FG into windowed mode and drag the FG and Discord windows around so you can see both on one screen.

https://discord.com/
    Ultimate License holder.

Discord username: Halaku

Currently GMing:
    * Ashes of Ardenyan Chapter 2 - Pathfinder
    * Venice by Night - Vampire the Masquerade
    * Adventures in the Ebony Kingdom - Vampire the Masquerade 5th edition

Playing In:

Finished Campaigns
    * Curse of Strahd - DnD 5e
    * Ashes of Ardenyan - Pathfinder
    * Necessary Evil the Next Generation - Masks
    * Slipstream - Savage Worlds
    * Necessary Evil - Savage Worlds
    * Star Wars Age of Rebellion - FFG Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    Hi

I played AD&D 30 years ago, but I am new to FG. I am now trying to learn as much as possible using FG before me and my old friends once more will reconnect to the D&D world.
    There is a lot of rules to remember and a lot of flipping through the pages in the core rule books. So, I would like to minimize that by buying some of rob2e modules/extensions/etc.

What modules would be most helpful to keep in the game?

When we start playing, we would like to use webcams. I have searched YouTube to see what programs other people use when playing. But I only find advices about streaming. We are not interested in streaming, just to get that little extra it will give us to see each other while playing.

What program should we use that is functional and not to advanced to use?
    Also, is there any good YouTube links?

Thanks for any help
    We are currently using Discord or Zoom for live streaming during the game session.

We have tried using Discord but sometimes the quality is a bit shaky. Zoom has turned out to be more reliable.

Hope this helps!

Thread Information