STAR TREK 2d20

Lost character exports

I have been playing a D&D 5E West Marches style campaign for about a year now. (West Marches has several DMs' collaborating on one massive campaign.) Until recently I have been having no problems. Over the past month or so I have been having an issue finding my exported characters to import onto the GM I am playing under.

I create/modify my character and save it.
    Exit back to launcher and go to manage characters.
    I find the server I was working on and load up the instance.
    Opening the PCs window I find the character I am trying to export and hit the down arrow.
    I save the .xml with a proper name.
    When I go to a different server the import option does not find the character I have saved. It does find all my previous characters but none of the ones I have attempted to save over the last several weeks.

I go into the folder that should have the file and I see all of the ones I have saved, past and present, so I am at a loss as to what is happening.

I have uninstalled the program and re-installed but that did not change anything.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Erolat View Post
    I have been playing a D&D 5E West Marches style campaign for about a year now. (West Marches has several DMs' collaborating on one massive campaign.) Until recently I have been having no problems. Over the past month or so I have been having an issue finding my exported characters to import onto the GM I am playing under.

I create/modify my character and save it.
    Exit back to launcher and go to manage characters.
    I find the server I was working on and load up the instance.
    Opening the PCs window I find the character I am trying to export and hit the down arrow.
    I save the .xml with a proper name.
    When I go to a different server the import option does not find the character I have saved. It does find all my previous characters but none of the ones I have attempted to save over the last several weeks.

I go into the folder that should have the file and I see all of the ones I have saved, past and present, so I am at a loss as to what is happening.

I have uninstalled the program and re-installed but that did not change anything.

Any ideas?
    I am rarily a player, but as far as I know players can not import such saved xml files; you need to send it to your DM to let the DM import it (the import function on players' side only sees the characters in cache, I believe; but again, I am sadly rarily a player such that I never really tested that )

You should be able to re-import the xml.

Please provide a screenshot of the directory where all of the files you’ve saved are located in Windows explorer. In the screenshot please indicate which files you can see in FG and which you can’t.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you with this. Had a computer issue and lost a lot of stuff. I have re-installed FG and was able to locate three of my characters.

This is the screen when I export:
    Export.png

And at this point when I try to import is shows none of those.
    Help!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you with this. Had a computer issue and lost a lot of stuff. I have re-installed FG and was able to locate three of my characters.

This is the screen when I export:
    Export.png

And at this point when I try to import is shows none of those.
    Help!
    Thanks for the screenshot. That looks OK.

Please post a screenshot of the screen you see when trying to import - even if it's empty.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Empty.png

This is all I see. I had someone else trying to walk me through a few things but none of it panned out. I have copied the character files into almost every folder associated with FG by now and I still never see them to import.

Empty.png

This is all I see. I had someone else trying to walk me through a few things but none of it panned out. I have copied the character files into almost every folder associated with FG by now and I still never see them to import.
    Thanks for the screenshot. That really helps.

You're running two theme extensions at once. These will more than likely create unexpected GUI behaviour. Only load one theme extension.

There should be a second "Import Character File" button on the Import Character window. This is what you use to import character XML files - it will open a file window to allow you to select your XML files. As it's not there, it's more than likely the themes you have loaded clashing and removing/hiding the button.

Disable one of your themes and see if it's there. If not, try disabling all themes.

Well, I have tried several servers, including a new install with no mods or themes, and still cannot import. This is starting to get extremely frustrating.

Any other ideas?

I have been sending the .xml files to get into the games I am involved in but that gets frustrating to me and the GMs. I was just hoping for some fix to allow me to once again import for myself.

Thread Information