STAR TREK 2d20

Trying to give player familiar control

So I looked up how to give a player familiar control...like control of a bat npc. I put it on the map, made it friendly and then dragged the info icon onto the player icon in the top left corner of FG Unity. Player can see the bat and bring up the bats stats but player can't move the bat around or see the bats vision (Like its LoS). The bat is also set to always visible (if necessary)

What am I doing wrong or missing? I thought this used to work in Unity but now it doesn't seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
    So I looked up how to give a player familiar control...like control of a bat npc. I put it on the map, made it friendly and then dragged the info icon onto the player icon in the top left corner of FG Unity. Player can see the bat and bring up the bats stats but player can't move the bat around or see the bats vision (Like its LoS). The bat is also set to always visible (if necessary)

What am I doing wrong or missing? I thought this used to work in Unity but now it doesn't seem to.
    Do you have activated the new option in the options, something like Party vision and movement? That is off on default which would describe the behaviour you see

Could be. I'll check. Thanks.

EDIT: Yep, that was it. But what does it even do? There is nothing on the wiki for it.
    Last edited by Apocrypha; June 1st, 2020 at 06:19.

It's new, added in the last big update, so probably they haven't gotten around to updating the wiki. When it is off, you can only see your character's LoS. When it is on, you can click on another party member's token and see what it sees (including things like your familiar).

I wish there was an option to allow only certain creatures instead of all or nothing.

It's only creatures that you add to the "Party Vision", either by placing them in the party window, or by right clicking on the token and selecting "add to party vision". If they are able to see vision of other, non friendly tokens, that is a bug I think, and you should report it.

I was more thinking about seeing other players vision. Does this new option not also give a player access to the vision of all other players? That's what I don't like...if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
    I was more thinking about seeing other players vision. Does this new option not also give a player access to the vision of all other players? That's what I don't like...if it does.
    Ah, I see what you mean. The method I described would give players the ability to see other players' line of sight, in addition to giving the player his familiar's vision. I believe the best/only way to do this with Party Vision "off", is to make a "character" for the familiar, fill out the relevant parts of the character sheet, (mainly just give it the correct token and name, anything else is a bonus for rolling perception and such). You can then add the familiar to the combat tracker, and have the player claim the familiar as a second character. Then they should have control of both their familiar and their character, with vision of both.

Bit of a pain but yeah seems like that is the only way.

It's really not too bad, it's just a matter of making a Character named Bat, rather than an NPC named Bat

Thread Information